1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

honestly what can we get for langhi

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tycoonchip, Nov 8, 2001.

1. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Now that he has demanded a trade, what do you think he is worth. Langhi for? Langhi tierre brown for Jax maybe... who knows

2. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I would be happy getting a 2nd rounder for him.

3. Dave Jamerson

Dave Jamerson Member

langhi and walt for jahidi white could happen.. i defintely would not an advocate of this trade though..

4. Miggidy Markell

The Walt for Jahidi trades are still in the dreams of some of these people. It's not going to happen, simple as that. I doubt Rudy is impressed with Jahidi anyway, we have Willis and Cato. As for Langhi, a 2nd rounded would be great but I would say most of the teams in the league don't even know his name. The only team that would remember him would be Phili and they would be calling him "that guy that got the alley-oop pass after the Rockets already kicked our sorry asses". :D

5. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Najera and a 2nd rounder......

:p

6. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Box of used jock straps.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Just release him if you can not get anything for him, and you have no use for his talents.

Let the man go find a place in the league if he can.

DaDakota

8. SamCassell

DaDa, I guess you feel the same way about your own employees? How many of them would you gladly release to go join another company, while at the same time you continued to pay their full salary?

Dude signed a contract; he should live up to it.

9. Miggidy Markell

See Matt Maloy or Martin or who what ever his name was. :p

10. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Let's overlay some regular season uniforms and normal floors onto LA summer game film and send the videos to bozos like Dan Issel and Dave Cowens. Maybe then, who knows, maybe we can get an unprotected first rounder.

As it stands right now, Langhi couldn't beat Jason Collier off of IR. That's bad. "So long boney".

11. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

i agree with sammy here,

if langhi had the stature to demand a trade its one thing but he hasnt even had the time to prove himself, secondly you dont go to the media with it, 3rd you signed the contract you are obligated to live up to it until it runs out then you can do as you please

Im not saying hes a bad player or talent but for a guy whose a 2nd yr man with virtually no court experience and a guaranteed contract its hard to feel sorry for him b****ing to the media about a trade, why doesnt he suck it up and prove to RT and company that he deserves minutes on our team, instead of going the backhanded, imho, disrespectful route, which he did.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

We should not trade him, for the same reason that we shouldn't trade Walt. Because, by keeping vets in the last years of their contract, we gain cap room this summer to use on free agents....all $500k of it. lol

13. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Contributing Member

Langhi and Collier for Steven Hunter or another young center...

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You are right....don't trade him or release him, let him tell the NBA that he is fine, and that the Rockets are cheating by having him on the IR?

Yes, that is the right thing to do for sure.....come on, this is a real world, and the Rockets would benefit by releasing him if someone else picked him up, they don't have to pay his contract.

Since we have a great reputation in the league for treating our players fairly, I would be shocked if CD and Rudy kept him knowing that they did not intend to use him at all.

It is simply a matter of class.

DaDakota

15. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

back up a minute DaDa, this is a two way street

Now if youre gonna say the Rockets are classless for leaving him on the ir(which i can buy to an extent), talk to practically every over team in the league, teams do not give up assets for nothing, people abuse the ir all the time esp deep teams.

Finally, even if the rockets are classless for leaving him on the ir, he wasnt classless for taking his frustrations and demands to media, please.

While i dont believe langhi should be happy, he took the wrong route going about his problem and two wrongs dont make a right.

16. SamCassell

You never answered my question. And was it classy to bring the complaint through the media? Why should the Rockets treat Dan with class when he's shown none himself?

The cheating angle? Using the IR to stash players is a pretty open practice in the NBA. Technically it's wrong, but the NBA is quick to look the other way. Every team benefits from it. What is more, the players benefit from it, because it creates up to 87 guaranteed contracts. I think the whole rule is dumb anyway; the league should just call them "taxi squads" like they have in the NFL and be done with the charade.

BTW, the Rockets would only save money equivelant to what Langhi makes from the new team. Which would be the minimum, or about 1/5 of what he's making now. The Rockets would still be on the hook for the rest.

17. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Would they even be off the hook at all? It is my impression that once Langley clears waivers, the Rockets financial commitment is set at his guaranteed annual salary. Is that not the case?

18. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I thought Langhi would amount to something, but if Rudy thinks the only use he has is keeping the bench warm for Steve and Cat, and talking to Willis for a few second before he grabs 10 boards I say get a 2nd rounder for him!

19. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

People really overrate the whole "going to the media" thing. Every freaking game is played in front of the media. These players are already in the public eye. When you're job is already done in front of the media, talking to the media about things such as this is not a sin. Besides, maybe Langhi doesn't know any better. Maybe someone came to him and asked him "Dan, how do you feel about your future with the Rockets?" Do any of these things matter, or is it just easier to label the man "classless"?

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't think you should call it a 'trade demand'; it's more like a 'trade request' or a 'trade suggestion'. It's too meek to be a demand. Here are some quotes from the article

Langhi and his agent go out of their way to say he wants to stay in Houston, he just wants to play. As I said before, I think this is really a take-me-off-the-IR-so-I-can-not-play-from-the-bench request. It was timed to coincide with his eligibility to come off IR, and he probably thinks he should have Tierre Brown's spot -- which he probably should.

The other thing is Langhi makes $465,850 this season, which is the minimum this year for a sophomore. If another team picked him up off waivers or after waivers, they'd pay that amount and Houston would pay what's left -- precisely $0.