1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Texans Adv. Statistics and Grades

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by SC1211, Sep 8, 2014.

1. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'll update with week 2 notables tonight.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Raiders executed the perfect game plan to give Watt a negative score.

They actually DID double him on almost every passing play, even when the Texans moved him around to throw them off. The running back admitted he was looking for Watt on every passing play to chip him.

When they ran, they often had the tackle engage Watt to make Watt go for an outside move and then ran right behind the tackle so Watt was out of the play.

I'm cool with it. If teams want to create entire offensive strategies to avoid Watt having an impact, that's fine as long as the other players take advantage of it.

3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

I distinctly remember 1 QBHit, but ESPN's boxscore showed nothing.

4. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

I was at the game, and he clearly tipped the pass that led to the interception. Not sure why they didnt record that.

5. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

ESPN box score doesn't show the QB hit I checked his player card and it lists
    So I guess he had 1 QB hit, no tackles and a TD catch haha, interesting stats.

6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm fine with that as well, in the sense that he's still altering a very large part of the opposing team's gameplan in that scenario.

If they want to run that ge plan when we get Clowney back, good luck.

7. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The original post has been updated for week 2, though I can't seem to change the thread title to note that.

Here are the new additions:

Week 2:
    Offense:
    Positives
    Ben Jones +2.2
    Ben Jones was the worst offensive player last week, but was the best this week. The entire offensive line put on a run blocking clinic; each starter getting over +2.0 in run blocking, with the exception of Duane Brown, who was +1.1.

The rest of the O-line: Brandon Brooks +1.7, Derek Newton +1.3, Chris Myers +1.1, Duane Brown +0.3

Ryan Fitzpatrick +1.8
    Many fans claim that Ryan Fitzpatrick has just been a "game manager". While it's true that Fitzpatrick has managed the game well, he also made some impressive long throws on third down and had a fantastic touchdown pass to DeAndre Hopkins. Fitzpatrick was once again 6th among all QBs in the league (barring Monday Night Football) and has shown that he's more than capable of making plays when needed.

Andre Johnson +1.7
    Johnson had another quiet but effective game in week two. He hauled down 6 of his 7 targets and caught several of them for third down conversions. He still looks sharp and shows no signs of slowing down.

Arian Foster was more effective this week (+0.8), as a runner and a pass blocker. Only six players who played a snap on offense posted a negative grade.

Negatives
    Alfred Blue -0.5
    Alfred Blue struggled to get yards in his first few carries. It's worth noting that he showed flashes of good vision towards the end of the game. The other backup RBs also struggled behind good run blocking (Jonathan Grimes at -0.8 and Ronnie Brown at -0.6), though it's worth noting that this was done while intentionally running out the clock.

Damaris Johnson -1.3
    Damaris Johnson continues to be a puzzling player for Texans fans. It's unclear what role he fills better than Keshawn Martin (who received a grade of -0.3 himself, and he hasn't been effective as a returner (not included in this grade) or as a slot receiver. Hopefully the coaches are seeing something in practice that fans will soon see on the field.

Ryan Griffin -2.2
    Ryan Griffin can be an effective as a pass catcher, but struggles as a blocker. This was apparent on Sunday, as he received multiple holding penalties (and didn't block well either). Having Fiedorowicz back next week (who did well last Sunday in this area) should help immensely.

Defense:
    Positives
    DJ Swearinger +2.2
    Swearinger drastically improved his performance over last week, particularly in the area where he struggled the most: pass coverage (+1.3). Swearinger was fantastic by any conventional statistical analysis as well and was a playmaker.

Jonathan Joseph +1.6
    J-Jo seems to have bounced back from his injury plagued last season, and has been fantastic in pass coverage (+2.5). The Texans' secondary was arguably more effective than their front 7 this past Sunday, something not many would have predicted.

Jared Crick +1.2
    Crick played a great game across from JJ Watt, capably stopping the run (+0.5) and rushing the passer (+0.6). This is welcome news for Texans fans, who worry that JJ Watt is the only positive on the defensive line. It's also worth noting that he faced one on one coverage for most of the game, given the attention Watt commanded. He was the only member of the front seven to post a positive grade.

Daryl Morris (+1.1) and Andre Hal (+0.8) were both effective as young corners. Kareem Jackson (+0.1) was visible but only marginally effective overall, as he struggled in run defense.

Negatives

AJ Buoye -1.9
    Buoye was the only member of the secondary to post a negative grade this week, which is impressive. Buoye played the ball pretty well on a key touchdown pass near the end of the game, but got there a little early.

Whitney Mercilus -2.2
    After an effective game last week, Reed struggled to get a good pass rush going against the Oakland line (-1.7). Mercilus has always struggled with consistency, and the linebackers will need to step up against more competent offenses, especially with Clowney out. Every linebacker who played a snap posted a negative grade.

Tim Jamison -3.7
    Once again, Tim Jamison was incapable of playing effectively as a defensive tackle. In particular, he was awful in run defense (-2.2) and committed bad penalties.

JJ Watt (-1.7) and Brooks Reed -1.2, the stars of last weeks defense, both struggled this week. Some of Watt's struggles may have stemmed from gameplanning. Brian Cushing (-0.4) continues to work himself back into form, but did make strides in run defense (+0.8).

#67 SC1211, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  8. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

Thanks for posting. I thought Crick had an awesome game but I didn't know if the experts would back that up. He disrupted so many plays. The announcers did give Watt credit for some of his plays. Swearinger is quickly becoming one of my favorite players on the team. I love the way he plays.

9. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

so who do we have that can replace jamison?

10. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

PFF top 10 tackles so far

1. Branden Albert, LT (MIA) +7.1

So far playing up to the huge contract he signed to come over from the Chiefs.

2. Derek Newton, RT (HST) +6.5

Almost written off (at least by me). Thankfully the Texans were more patient.

3. Joe Barksdale, RT (STL) +4.8

Carrying on from where he left off last year with a super start to 2014.

4. Zach Strief, RT (N0) +4.7

The Saints Mr Reliable remains a stalwart at right tackle for the team.

5. King Dunlap, LT (SD) +4.4

Still more of a run blocker but holds his own in pass pro, too.

6. Ja’Wuan James, RT (MIA) +4.1

Is that nervous looks I see from the draftniks who pronounced him over-drafted?

7. Jason Peters, LT (PHI) +3.6

A left tackle who continues to impress on every down regardless of what the playcall is.

8. Jermon Bushrod, LT (CHI) +3.5

More than held his own against both the Bills and 49ers

9. Joe Thomas, LT (CLV) +3.3

So what else is new? The most consistent pass protector in the game.

10. Andre Smith Jr, RT (CIN) +3.7

His bad old early years seem a long way behind us now.

=10. Donald Penn, LT (OAK) +3.2

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/09/16/top-10-offensive-tackles/?utm_source=feedly&utm_reader=feedly&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=top-10-offensive-tackles

11. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Pagan

12. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Top 10 Wide Receivers

1. Jordy Nelson (GB) +4.8

The most underrated WR in football. No ifs or buts, just consistently excellent.

2. Andre Johnson (HST) +3.7

Carrying on exactly from where he left off last year. Leads league with a frankly ridiculous 4.07 Yards per Route Run.

3. Andrew Hawkins (CLV) +3.5

We are not supposed to have favorites but, in our weaker moments, this guy is one.

4. Sammy Watkins (BUF) +3.5

Looks every inch the player the Bills trade up to get.

5. Antonio Brown (PIT) +3.3

Sure-handed (zero drops) and elusive (four missed tackles) he continues to excite whenever he has the ball.

6. Calvin Johnson (DET) +3.1

Still great but needs to up his catch rate (caught only 54% of targets) to top this list the way his talent warrants.

7. Dez Bryant (DAL) +2.5

Is this the year Bryant is at his best for the entire year. Cowboy fans expect it!

8. Markus Wheaton (PIT) +1.8

If this form continues, could link with Brown to form one of the better WR combinations

9. Anquan Boldin (SF) +1.7

The Ravens can say whatever they want, but with hindsight they don’t make that trade.

10. Brian Quick (STL) +1.3

With the league’s third-best Yards per Route Run (3.26) is he just “flashing” or here to stay?

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/09/18/top-10-wide-receivers/?utm_source=feedly&utm_reader=feedly&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=top-10-wide-receivers

13. Win

Win Contributing Member

Some pretty impressive numbers for the Texans up there ^^^^ I too am puzzled about the Damarius Johnson situation. Just to look at him on the field he looks like a real player, but after the 1st two games and multiple opportunities he has produced less than Martin has in the past, and if anything Martin appeared to be really improving this year (at last). I'm beginning to think either Martin has gotten himself in the dog-house or that the Texans have just decided Johnson has a higher up-side or big play potential. Unless Johnson steps up big-time quick, you have to believe Martin will get back in and it may be toodles to Johnson.

14. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Thanks again

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I think it's on pass plays.

17. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I'm fairly convinced Kubiak didn't coach up anybody.

18. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

First post has a link, but still didn't makes sense. I was just happy Houston was #1. :cool:

Many fans' thoughts are now reinforced. McNair wasted 3 years not firing Garr after '10. Now we have better coaching. If we start winning big it was all worth it.

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

LOL

You came to this conclusion after two wins versus two of the worst teams last year?

20. jbasket

jbasket Member

Anything new?