1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

You can bet the Rockets make the playoffs this year!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zacatecas, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

It boils down to this, your only guy being affected by age is Rice who is a role player. The key loss is Posey, but you replace him with the poor man's Posey in Griffin, plus get an outstanding shooter all for less money and shorter contract's that Posey was given. Taylor is one year off the injury. Griffin's is another summer stonger. Francis and Mobley are a year wiser. Cato found his role. Plus Utah finally ends it steak of playoff appearances!!!!

2. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

That equals to Rockets in the playoffs!!!

3. edc

edc Contributing Member

Then again, they haven't made any significant moves (one role player for two), got themselves a lesser head coach, and have one of their main cogs tired and missing camp...

4. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

The Rockets needed role players to help sorround Steve and Yao. They have picked up Pike and Griffin, both who address different roles that are nessecary for the Rockets to move foward. One is a sharp shooter who can make open shots from Steve's penitration and Yao's double and tripple teams, and the other is a player who knows he's a role player (unlike Posey) and is willing to play the way we need him to (defense.)

Going all Lakers won't help this team. We have enough egos with Steve and Cat alone.

5. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

That is certainly debatable. Let's give Van Gundy a f***ing chance before we call him less of a coach than Rudy.

6. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Back on topic, yes I would bet on the Rockets being in the playoffs.

If the Rockets don't make the playoffs this year, then that is definitely it. I'm leaving Clutchcity forever!!!

7. SLA

SLA Member

lol....totally agree.

I bet the Rockets will make the playoffs. Who doesn't?

And yes...if we don't make the playoffs.....then the Rockets are hopeless!

8. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I'm still waiting for Timing to hold me to that pledge.

9. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

You know, its funny. My cousins and I have said that the Rockets will make the playoffs for like the past 3 years. I remember them saying it this year, and I reminded them of what happend before. They thought about it but still said they'll make it.

I think injuries are one of the things that can prevent the team from making the playoffs, but if they can somehow be one of the top 8 teams in the West, I think they can make it. ;)

yes, that was kind of a joke.

10. negitoro

negitoro Member

How is it even possible to guarantee a playoff spot in the West ?

Already the Rockets are decidedly weaker than the Kings, Laker, Mavs, Wolves and Spurs. That leaves a mere 3 spots to fight for.

Phoenix is getting better. Portland is still deep and talented regardless. Houston is arguably in the 2nd tier with these 2 teams. Fighting for a 8th spot.

You then throw in Golden State and Seattle which are both teams that just missed the 8th spot last year and you have fight there. You could ever argue that Memphis is improving this offseason more than Houston did.

Basically, if Houston messes up just a bit, one of these teams could definitely potentially bite them in the ass.

11. Pimphand24

Pimphand24 Member

Yes, the lack of spots available put our playoff hopes in jeapordy. But Golden State is out of the equation after losing Arenas. So 3 Spots are being fought for by Phoenix, Houston, Portland and Seattle, but Portland is likely to make a trade after all their off court problems so we'll have to wait and see. Portland would be out if they make that trade for KMart.

12. Rockets_Truth

Rockets_Truth Contributing Member

No way JVG is lesser of a head coach than Rudy T. They are both great coaches and have their own styles. Jeff is about team defense and pushing the ball into the middle which will take advantage of Yao and end the days of ISO's which Rudy would call over and over with steve and cat.

13. HotRocket

Lets see, Phoenix beat us out of the playoffs by one game. We lost our head coach in the final weeks of the season; while we were on a winning streak. Yao was finaly wearing down after a very long season by his standards.

This summer we have filled some spots on our bench by adding Griffin and Pike, and we still have some more money for another free agent. We picked up a new coach, one that gets the best out of out young, sometimes out of control players (see Spree.) We have a second year center who said he spent all of last season getting used to the US; which slowed his game some.

And Phoenix this summer has... um... um... done nothing?

Yeah, I can see why we are second tier to Phoenix.

14. jsb

jsb Contributing Member

I think the Rox have a good chance of getting that 8th seed. For the to get it or possibly a step or 2 higher a few things must happen.
    1) no injuries to a major cog. This is still basically a young team hopefully that's not a problem

2) Rice giving them a consistent 20-30 minutes a game. He helps spread the floor, he can post up which is an under-rated part of his game and this is a Rox need

3) EddieG or MoT stepping up. Actually I think JVG will put more of a fire under MoT than anyone else. He's a year off the injury and I think he has a good chance of at least stabilizing the position.

4) Yao has to give them a full years effort. I don't think he's ready to be the #2 man just yet. He still has too much to learn about the NBA and wasting his time in China is not helping him out. Let me explain before you BLAST ME. When you coach a player you work in progressions. You first learn the skill, you then practice it, you then practice it against low pressure, you then practice it in high pressure situations ala scrimmages and drills. When the player becomes confident of the skill, he will then use it in a game. While he's wasting time in China he is wasting valuable time learning things in low pressure situations during the offseason to be able to use them effectively during the season.

#4 is the real variable as to how far the Rox will go.

15. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

i think we would all love to see the rockets make the playoffs but with JVG as the new coach, we can't expect the best results...everyone is going to have to adjust to his style and the players need to build a relationship and trust with the coach...they had that with rudy T but with gundy, it could take a while. i dont doubt they make the playoffs this year, but i do know their performance during the playoffs will be affected by the new coach

16. SaVeThEpIgS88

SaVeThEpIgS88 Member

HMM LETS SEE... cuz maybe they have better talent than us they have a better point guard... a very promising developing power forward... a small forward than can rebound 9+ a game.. and penny hardway who gives them veteran leadership... WHY WOULDNT WE BE A SECOND TIER TO PHOENIX...

17. edc

edc Contributing Member

JVG will have to convince me he is better than an adequate, middle-of-the-road head coach. He did not do that in his tenure with the Knicks.

18. mikedane

mikedane Member

New arena, new coach, new unis, its time for a new CHAMPIONSHIP banner.

19. Rockets_Truth

Rockets_Truth Contributing Member

I think he proved himself with his defense and being able to milk every ounce of talent out of his players including an over-the-hill Ewing. I know he was able to coach the knicks into the playoffs and all the way to the NBA finals, so that is all the proof I need. :)

20. HotRocket

They are also missing a good center and anything that could be considered a bench. Their bench is what, Googs and Johnson... oooh scary. As I stated before, we addressed one of biggest problems last year, we added to our bench. No more will Cat and Steve have to play 40 mins a night and wear themselves down. If the Rockets can pick up one more player, a point guard, we are set for the season.