1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Preseason Poll: Can Marcus Morris play the 3 effectively?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Dec 7, 2011.

?

Will Marcus Morris play the 3 effectively for us?

1. Yes - He will be able to play Small Forward effectively

104 vote(s)
    75.4%
  2. No - He will show to be a tweener or simply an undersized 4

34 vote(s)
    24.6%
  1. meh

meh Contributing Member

This is a question to which even NBA GMs and scouts have different opinions. And so does this board. So I figure we should make a poll right now. Put in your answer to the question.

We can come back to this thread mid-season if and when Morris plays. And see which side is correct. :)

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Yes, Morey has said as much.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yeah, I think he can, but having played the 4 in college he will have some adjustment time in the D-league to help him.

DD

4. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Morris probably will be a solid player but nothing on which to hang our Rocket caps. He can't spread the floor like Bud can, which means other teams can pack the paint thereby reducing the effectiveness of Lowry, Martin and Scola.

5. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Based on his shooting form, I think he can develop a solid three-point shot. Of course, nothing matters until the rubber hits the road, but I think he has a shot to be something special.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KmwfM_6DxkQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i have no idea if he can ...., but he better. :mad:

7. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

He better be able to play the 3.

Our else he will be another undersized 4 that Morey has drafted with his draft picks.

8. aicedo

aicedo Member

I think he can I dont really like to throw names out there to compare players coming out of college to but if this guy can stay a hard worker, he has Paul Pierce, Carmelo Anthony, Andre Igoudala, Rudy Gay type potential.

9. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Draftexpress has him a hybrid between David West and Al Harrington.

10. aicedo

aicedo Member

I do see some David West but West plays strictly the 4, and he does play a little like Al Harrington just dont want him to end up like Al Harrington.:)

11. Sen89

Sen89 Member

I watch a ton of college ball - which is why I'd say I'm skeptical. I watched about 10 KU games last year, and while Morris did obviously stand out as a skilled offensive player for a PF, I never thought to myself that he had the physical tools to transition to the SF at the next level.

He has the natural jumper and strength to create mismatches (and occasionally play outside), but he lacks the ball handling ability (he's mostly a one dribble player out of the triple threat) and lateral quickness to play extended minutes outside (defensively). Not to mention he has incredibly short arms for his height.

It's offensive to compare him to Melo. Maybe in body type, but Melo has an absolutely devastating first step, as well as much more natural ability (and athleticism). Same with Pierce, who has had one of the more advanced offensive arsenals of perimeter players in the past decade.

I'd say if we're giving him minutes, put him in as a 4 in a small-ball lineup, or a 3 in a big lineup.

2 people like this.
  12. DdotConrad503

DdotConrad503 Member

Must be depressing to hear that you are compared to Drew Gooden. I believe twin was a steal at 14 and will produce this year playing the 3.

13. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Yut4QZcm1g8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    That agility drill they put him through makes him look pretty good.

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'll point to two of the top SF's in the game - Paul Peirce and Carmelo Anthony both of whom have the same body types and similar quickness as Morris , tho both have superior shooting range ..... I just dont see a reason why Morris cant be very effective at the SF Spot - Pending he can improve his shooting from outside.
    He should be able to post up the smaller 3's as well as being a strong rebounder at the position .... Sounds like a recipe for success to me.

15. Prince

Prince Member

16. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Absolutley, the only part I would be worried about would be his defense. And with any rook that is always the first questionable aspect of their game.

He works hard and has the advantage of always playing against his other NBA caliber player in his brother, even with the lockout.

17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Morris was drafted to play the 3 spot and he has reinstated the fact by saying that he is working on his D and lateral speed.

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I think he can effectively play the 3.

I think a relevant question would be: can he play the 3 better than Bud/T-Will? I like Bud. Nice weapon on offense and his defense can sometimes be better than awful - but I'm not completely sold on him. I have given up on T-Will. Morris will have the opportunity, so it will be on him to make the most of it. I believe he will.

19. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

no way, he is a bust

Even T-Will with all his habits has a way better chance to compete at three than him

20. jjc1

jjc1 Member

I like his potential to play at the 3. Good size and seems to have good shooting form. Also I trust Morey; I was doubting him on PatPat but look what kind of player he turns out to be.