1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Pay Players as a % of the Cap

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by oakdogg, Sep 5, 2015.

1. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Right now, a bunch of average players are getting overpaid, because they got lucky with the timing of their contracts. Meanwhile, great players along with the majority of the league are not benefiting from the cap going up. Why aren't contracts just negotiated as a % of the cap instead of a set dollar amount? That way when the cap goes up, the players under contract shares in the increase. For example, instead of paying Harden $15M a year, pay him 14% of the cap that year (Numbers would be mathematical equivalents - I'm just making up numbers in this example). It's just stupid for Wesley Matthews to be making more than Harden b/c of lucky timing.

1 person likes this.
  2. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

Max contracts and MLEs are a percentage of the cap, but only for the first season of the contract. Like the max extension that Anthony Davis just signed is going to pay him WAY more than the current max contract because it kicks in next year and it'll start out as a percentage of whatever the giant cap number next year will be.

But they don't maintain that percentage thing for each year of the contract because there could be unexpected fluctuations (up or down) in the cap, which would make it hard for the player or the team to plan ahead financially.

3. oakdogg

Why is it hard to plan financially? You would just be planning in relation to the cap. Simple example would be to make sure all your players sum up to around 100% of the cap.

The point is that it is stupid that players under contract do not benefit from cap increases like the humongous one coming up.

4. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

I guess it would be relatively simple for the team to plan ahead, since the cap would only increase if their overall revenue increased as well (or vice versa). So teams could always afford to pay out 100% of the cap to players like you're saying. But from the player's perspective, wouldn't it be a better deal to know exactly how much money you would be making over the course of your contract?

5. oakdogg

How often does the cap go down? If that happens, you're right. I just have not heard of it. Otherwise, it will only mean increases for the players under contract, so they would be all for it.

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Contracts are not negotiated by % of a cap because NBA rosters are flexible, players get traded, cut and signed constantly. If you're trying to trade players to another team or a free agent is deciding between offers from different teams they would have to convert that % salary into hard numbers anyway, why go through this BS and just stick with real numbers? Also the league would have to go through another CBA to decide what %s are appropriate for veteran minimum, rookie salaries, exceptions etc.

As a rule owners don't like signing players to %s, because that means you'll be paying more for the same player as the cap goes up. For example in Harden's case, his salary could end up to twice or thrice his initial salary as the cap goes up, and you could be paying that money to two or 3 other players instead. That's great for star players like Harden, but what about the 99% of other players who would get a smaller cut of the salary pool? The NBA players would first have to sort it out among themselves and only then can they propose it to the owners for agreement, you can't arbitrarily decide that since Matthews is less of a player than Harden he should be making less when he already signed a contract to get paid a specific amount.

Its not worth the trouble and the benefit is only to the 30 or superstar players while marginalizing the rest of the NBA population.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

If 100% of your cap is already used up, how can you sign vet mins and rookies unless you can get your players to agree to take less salary than what they signed up for? This means you will never be able to sign another player unless one of your contract expires, and the only trades you can do is to another player with the EXACT % of the cap salary.

I guess you didn't really think the ramifications of this idea lol...

8. malakas

malakas Member

because it would be bad for the owners' pockets.
    But right now and for the following two years, any new contract should be evaluated only as a percentage of the cap because that's what matters not the rising numbers.

9. oakdogg

I don't even think it would be bad for the owner's pockets. Like now, they save money on Harden and other great players under contract, so they overpay for quasi-scrubs like Enes Kanter and Wesley Matthews.

Basically, the owners pay the same in total in either scenario. Now, you have a ton of underpaid players (according to the cap increase) and a few really overpaid players. in the system, I propose, all the players get paid fairly and benefit from the cap increase - like they should.

10. oakdogg

This is what should have been done...but you all think Conley deserves about double what Harden gets - just because of the year their contracts were signed.

11. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

No, the players union think Conley, and the rest of the FAs this summer deserve a huge pay bump rather than a smoothed out cap raise.

Depending on how the cap raise was structured, the players union may have actually made the right choice from a overall players vs owners financial standpoint.

And roslolian's legitimate reasons for not paying as % of cap still stands.

12. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

geez, this is a private business, let them make whatever they make. It seems like people are more upset with gm's than they are what health care and bank giants are doing.

13. oakdogg

This is definitely not a reason to prevent switching to a % of the cap. You can definitely work it out to have enough flexibility to make it work. Dumb argument.

It is just plain stupid for the only players to benefit from a new TV deal be the ones who are coming up on free agency. It's not like the owners only get their share of the new money if they buy their team this year. Ridiculous.

I don't care if they use this method I suggested, but they should definitely have already identified a way that dudes like Harden who got signed to the max a few years ago aren't doubled up in salary by players way worse than they are. If I was an NBA player, I'd be f*kin' p*ssed. Yeah, Harden will get paid too in a couple years, but that's serious money he's missing out on for a couple years. Plus, you never know if he gets injured & can't get a new contract. With how focused on the dollar players are, I can't believe thy haven't spoken up.

Come on - would you stand for it if you were them? What if you knew a much less effective coworker of yours was going to start making double your compensation and that won't be remedied for two years?

Bottom line is I can't see how any reasonable person doesn't see this is f'd up.

#13 oakdogg, Jul 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  14. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Who said that?

15. oakdogg

Dude, this thread is not a complaint about players getting their share - they earned it. It's a thread about the unfair way their share of the money is divied up. It also has ramifications for parity & thus the competitiveness of the league. So, see if there's a way to move your post to another thread.

16. oakdogg

If there was no concern about the need to prevent it, I'm gonna conclude people are cool with it. It was obvious this was how it was going to go.

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

All these guys are multi-millionaires. Who cares if Player A is making more money than Player B.

18. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Incredible logic. Can I make a million assumptions about you since I haven't seen you make explicit statements about them?

I get you want to win an argument but this is not the way to go about it.

To take your point to another level, you could tie performance more closely to salaries so Steph Curry wouldn't be relatively underpaid right now.

But everyone wants assurances and I think players will take firm money versus what's essentially stock options every time. Because the one time salaries drop the **** will hit the fan so hard there will be a return to the norm again.

19. Major

Major Member

Neither the owners or the players are interested in this.

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

It's weird that people feel this was in an NBA forum huh? Super weird.