1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Astros looking forward

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets Pride, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

I just want to reiterate that I would be very happy with this offseason. I fail to see the value in Gattis, other than an occasional HR. That little value is diminished because he simply is one of the worst situational hitters I have had to watch. Just terrible.

I'll get greedy and add one more move, to help stabilize the OF - let's also trade for Yasiel Puig. It seems like the Dodgers' front office is really over him, especially with his latest party videos (which I failed to see the big deal on. To me, it showed that he was embracing his teammates, instead of moping about the demotion). By the looks of it, he would fit in quite well in Club Astros, haha!

Well, maybe one more move, but let's re-sign Valbuena as well, but only if it's reasonable.

I just think it's time to cut the cord on the Tyler White experiment, the Jake Marisnick experiment, and the Gattis experiment. Basically most of the folks that have hit 6-9 for us this year, we should really re-consider their roles on this team. I'm not saying a guy like Marisnick does not have value, but just that a perennial contender (what we are hoping to be, sooner rather than later) should not be relying on Marisnick getting significant playing time. With those few moves, I think our offensive production would stabilize and improve greatly.

1. Springer - CF
    2. Bregman - LF
    3. Altuve - 2B
    4. Correa - SS
    5. Gurriel - 3B
    6. Valbuena/Marwin - 1B
    7. Ramos - C
    8. AJ Reed - DH
    9. Puig - RF

That lineup seems so much deeper and talented that what we've had to watch over the last year and a half. I think that offense could get the job done day in and day out. And other that Gurriel, that's a young lineup that should be in tact and productive for several years. That would allow us to focus primarily on addressing our pitching needs (mainly starting pitching, but also add to our bullpen talent) for the next 2-3 years.

2. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Dang it, I knew I should have put some grades in my post. Puig risk = A+, potential Puig reward = A-. That grades out to about a 60 on a 70 scale of awesomeness.

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Right now I have Houstons opening day roster at ~40 WAR and $75M without signing any free agents, extensions, or making any trades. 40 WAR is usually enough for 85-95 wins and makes a team a legit contender, but that number is subject to high variance because of how young and/or unproven so many of Houstons players are. I think Houston could use their farm and payroll flexibility to improve their outlook and raise their floor. A legit bat who can preferably play passable OF defense and a legit front of the rotation starter are the first areas to address. A backup catcher would be next. Another elite bullpen arm (preferably a lefty) and another bat would be luxuries.

4. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Puig was claimed on revocable waivers. Is it us?

5. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

I doubt it. He'd have to make it through all of the NL teams, and even then, if he makes it to the AL, I don't see him getting past the Yankees. Chances are that he is claimed, and then pulled back, with the Dodgers trading him this offseason (where all other teams are available to trade to, instead of just the one that wins the waiver claim).

I'd be quite intrigued by the possibility, and would love for it to happen, I doubt it (at least now).

6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Houston was not the claiming team.

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Per the original story, the White Sox tried to claim him but it had already happened - so it was either an NL team or TB, MIN, LAA or OAK.