1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lack of Rockets talk on Houston Sports Radio

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Mar 22, 2013.

1. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

As are Texans games. Go to New York, and the Knicks/nets are still overshadowed by jets/Giants/Yankees on sports talk there.

2. rockets13champs

Well duh texans signed the two best free agents and the rockets suck ass. March is when NBA takes a back seat to nfl and ncaa. Its the sad truth

3. rockets13champs

The reason nba usually has big talk is because there is usually a large winning streak that takes place from febuary to march. But that hasnt happened. There isnt any story lines taking place in the nba the regular season is really dry not much excitement for the end of the season playoff races. This season has been terrible.

4. rockets13champs

In america the NBA. Is behind mlb and nfl its sad and its the truth. Most talk show hosts are white middle aged white men and nba isnt really in their vocab. They watch 2 sports mlb and nfl. The last time a middle aged white man watched the nba was probably 1998. But as the millenial generation grows u will see more diversity in talk show hosts and you will see more nba talk rather than mlb and nfl talk. I still think nfl is #1 in the millenial generation but nba will be 2nd in terms of american sports

5. houtown

houtown Member

I do not know about the capacity of the arena, but the arena still seems to lack energy during a lot of the games, and like a previous post suggested, a lot of the seats seem to be unoccupied during some games.

6. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

More proof that Houston in general is not that into basketball. We had Team Spirit day at my work where everyone comes in with their favorite team gear. We all took group photos on each floor. I looked through about 10 photos of 30 - 40 people per floor. I spotted maybe 5 Rocket shirts. About 30% were Texans, 30% Astros and the rest was college teams. Rockets probably represented 1-2%.

7. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

may I ask what kind of work environment do you work in? Hospital? Office? Warehouse?

I'm not disputing that Houston may not be into hoops as much as football or baseball but the demographics at work also play into what kind of sports people like.

Also, I contend that the ugly ass rockets uniform is a huge turnoff when it comes to buying merchandise. I don't have any rockets gear with that current look.

8. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Engineering Office, yeah your right I'm sure. We get a lot of people who graduate from colleges outside of Houston so a lot of college shirts were worn.

I only know 2 guys at my work that probably are into the Rockets as much as I am and there's like 2000 people here.

9. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

If the rockets were in the WCF again this year or if your office would've done this at the same time last year, I'd bet that 50% of the shirts worn would've been Rockets gear.

10. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I think the best fan base in Houston are Astros fans. Despite their team being so bad, Astros fans still love their team. Rockets and Texans only get supporters when they are playing well.

11. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Quite honestly, i've looked online many times for Rockets apparel, but most are ugly to me. Texans and Astros gear looks better IMO.

Maybe once Nike takes over, we'll see better apparel.

12. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I can almost guarantee you that the ones wearing egg ball jerseys have probably never seen a gym and are filled with grease. I don't expect fans of the unathletic, over-rated loser JJ Fatt or fake tough guy sport in general to be athletic looking

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

With charlie gone do any of the sports radio people even watch the rockets. I guess MT might have to since he covers the game. Maybe MAD radio since they tend to be professional after that?

14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

The problem. Football is King. There are alot of preseason basketball games. Meaningless. That's the big reason. Texans are winning and will dominate talk radio. The Rockets will get the due......as their season wears on.

15. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Hardly meaningless with a new coach, new system, whole new coaching staff, new marquee players and role players, and given the context of what has happened the last 2 years with the Rockets.

No, today 790 spent the majority of their time towing the company line and defending Innes. A guy who has proudly and repeatedly said he isn't a Rockets fan, chastises our main guy Harden and calls him a B---h, and has had a relentless troll-esque beef with Morey.

Matt Thomas is awesome. PA Announcer at the Summit during championship years. UH Alumnus and big Coog supporter. Returns as the PA announcer for the Toyota Center, and will cover play-by-play on away games next year.

Adam Clanton is awesome. Another native, another true blue Rockets fan. And he doesn't take any s--t from Rockets haters and national media anti-Rocket narrative beaters on twitter which is awesome to watch.

Those 2 are great for the Rockets. Lance is more of a football guy, as is ND & Greg & Sean Jones...and nothing wrong with that. But Innes is a bonafied, unabashed loud and proud Rockets hater. Palilo, despite being a little too harsh with his realistic views, was still an immense talent. He would have fantastic interviews with Bullard, McHale, Morey, and he would fill the boards up with Rockets talk. You think Innes is going to do that? I doubt anyone from the Rockets would even take his call. I would be surprised if he could set up an interview with anyone, much less make it a routine weekly thing like Charlie had going.

And if he does, it's going to be the most grating insulting interview that won't last long, just like how he did with Morey a few years back.

Palilo out, Innes in = Rockets talk on 790 plummeting. And Innes when he does put on a facade as a local radio host supporting the Rockets, it's going to be so fake. You can't undo or unsay the stuff he has.

RasaqBoi, mikol13 and joeson332 like this.
  16. plee

plee Member

It will be interesting since 790 is the Rockets radio station. I thought Josh's "shtick" was always a bit fake anyway, seemed like it was done to get ratings. I will give him a listen and see if it's the same thing. I'm hoping it's not...otherwise just listen to music on the drive home.

17. SkareKrow

SkareKrow Member

Listened in Charlies spot today and they said "We have about 45 minutes till the Rockets broadcast, so we'll talk Texans till then". What? Rockets are getting ready to play so lets talk Texans?

18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I guess Adam must have read this thread. At the start of the show he opened with the rockets, and then he started apologizing for talking rockets. It was kind of funny.

19. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Josh Innes is audio cancer.

20. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Innes dad must have major pull. I was really hoping he would get shanked in Philly