1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Adventures at Wal-Mart

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Drewdog, Apr 10, 2001.

1. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Recently I had the great pleasure of hitting my local 24 hour Wal Mart here in Austin. Its one of those big ones with all of the groceries....basically bigger than The Summit for chrissake. Being that Target (my preferred choice) was closed, I had no choice but to venture into this zoo of a place.

Here were my observations:

First of all....the old dude at the front who is supposed to give you hugs and remember your name...didnt even offer me a cart. In fact he didnt even say welcome or any of that stuff you see on the commercials. No big deal....Im not going to be emotionally scarred from that one.

Secondly....what is up with all of the kids running around without parental supervision???? They were running around the store freaking out....some with just a diaper on their ass.....

Thirdly....does anyone freaking work there??? I needed help in the automotive department and literally had to walk over to toys to even find one of those oh so friendly employees.

So finally I get to check out and Im thinking: "Damn 30 lanes to check out at....talk about efficiency." Much to my dismay, when I got closer I noticed that literally 4 LANES WERE OPEN.....WTF??? There were at least 6 to 10 people standing in each lane!!

Ok so really there is no point to this story, other than the fact that I will never set foot in any Wal-Mart again. God bless Target.....

------------------
    "Chucky who?" Charles Barkley

2. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Target:
    Has nicer quality housewares and clothes
    typically more checkers
    typically cleaner
    excellent "sale" prices
    much better "babe" watching

Wal-Mart:
    Better Lawn and Garden, Auto, and Sporting goods departments
    Better daily prices on most items
    larger selection in most departments
    More "Super" stores (I'll go out of my way to go to either the Wal-mart or Target "super" stores that sell groceries--they both have good selections for the areas that they are in)

Generally, I have a better experience at Target, but I'm very price conscience, so I don't mind all the "bad" things that you said about Wal-mart.

------------------
    stop posting my damn signature

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I've never seen checkout lines anywhere like at Wal-Mart. The one near me is a madhouse on Saturdays. Bodies everywhere, stuff strewn about like a bomb just hit the place, etc. I once went to one of those huge Wal-Marts you talked about drewdog. I went at about midnight thinking no one would be there. There must've been about 75-100 cars parked outside and about 200 people inside. I asked the lady at the register if they were having some kind of moonlight madness sale... she said "Nope. It's usually like this until about 3am".

I used to work there unloading trucks and it's a wonder how people don't lose limbs working in the warehouses.

I only go into Wal-Mart when I absolutely have to. It's rare that I go into Target. But I think most of that is because I hate shopping when places are crowded with people who stand and stare at items as if they're going to do something. I'd rather just zip in and zip out with what I need; hence my 1am grocery store runs. [​IMG]

------------------
    "So you say you want some intelligent responses? I say give me something intelligent to respond to." -- Dimwits beware, B-Ball freak tells it like it is. Sing it bro!

4. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

Texas needs a Meijers!

For those that don't know, it's like those super Targets and Walmarts, but good. It's been around for years and years up North (especially in Michigan).

------------------

5. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

Drew
    Walmart sucks big time. I have NEVER got in and out of there in less than 1/2 hour. Its bad like that at Walmart's everywhere. I only go to there when I need something at 2am. Target is SO much better.

------------------
    "I may be mistaken, but I'm never wrong" -Barkley

6. dc sports

dc sports Member

My big peves about Wal-Mart lately are:

1) Electronics closes at some stores at 8-9pm -- and the only reason I've gotten is because of theft, and the fact they can't staff the area at night. They are able to have one or two associates guard the entrance . (During the day, you are lucky to FIND an associate in electronics, so I think they are able to provide better staffing at night!)

2) The @$#%@#%@ Midnight close out -- Stupid. The computer part of it takes about 10 minutes to do it's processing -- so the cashiers stand there for 45.

3) Instead of bringing in a few pallets of items and stocking before they bring more, they fill all the isles with them. I've given serious thought to calling the fire marshall on them.

4) No one knows where anything is. Once I looked for an air mattress -- the kind you can blow up with a hair dryer or vacuum cleaner. I tried camping, then at the direction of Wal-Mart staff, looked in seasonal (near Christmas), small appliances, and health and beauty ("If it can use a hair dryer...").

5) Their automotive sections are horrible. The last time I had oil changed there, I was number 6 in line, including the two in the two bays, and was told it would take about 45 minutes before my car was done. I gave them over an hour before checking -- 2.5 hours to get the oil changed, and they didn't start until I demanded my keys back (The guy went to check, and they had "just started." Right.)

On the day Sam Walton gave up leadership of Wal-Mart, they lost his vision, and their standard of service went downhill. When he passed away, and his family lost interest in the company, it became simply a business -- a crappy business.

Kind of ironic, since they became dominant over K-Mart because of their reputation for better stores and service. It's interesting that K-Mart (and Target) are now gaining ground by pushing those very virtues.

Piece of Trivia -- When Wal-Mart was in it's prime, and experienced rapid growth and dominance under the leadership of Sam Walton, guess which Little Rock Attourney was a junior member of the board of directors? Hillary Rodham Clinton. Maybe she could have a more positive effect on our lives if she went back to that.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

[This message has been edited by dc sports (edited April 10, 2001).]

7. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

I live for the notion that one day there will be a 24 hour comp usa.

------------------
    Ceo of the Walt Williams and Lisa Malosky fan club.

atheistalliance.org

8. Isabel

Isabel Member

Hey Drewdog... which Wal-Mart was it? The one at I-35 and 183, by the Clock Tower? That place is a zoo. I think I used to call it the "zoo" and be scared to go in there... mainly because of the chaos and strange people roaming around with their kids who have been kept up way too late. Now that I live further north, I have an excuse to go to the Round Rock one instead. Much nicer, un-zoo-like, the greeter sees you, and they have a full grocery store as well. (CHEAP groceries) It is indeed a fun place to play at 2 a.m. [​IMG]

Target may have nicer stuff, but I'm too busy to shop before midnight. Wal-Mart rules for being cheap... in my case, it's saving me money and keeping me from being an oppressed woman in poverty. [​IMG]

------------------
    Isabel,clutchcity.net lurker since 1996

DNA Sequencing Center
    All your base pairs belong to us.

9. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

Thats interesting you brought that up Dr of Dunk, I just watched the Sam Walton biography for entrepreneurship class a few weeks ago. It portrayed the vision he had (as you mentioned) and how he revolutionized shopping during mid-century America through his discount stores. How he gave employees then unheard-of benefits and made them all feel like family, and how he put the customers first through everday low prices. Judging by our posters, that's obviously not the case anymore.

The Wal-Mart's here in Canada are actually pretty good. They're clean, almost always have what you want and their service is normally friendly. Though we've only had them since 1994 or so, which might explain their current high standards. However, the majority of Wal-Marts in the Northern states that I've been to have not been all that bad. In the mid-west, they're almost non-existent as stores such as Meijers (as Hobbs mentioned), Value City and Target dominate.

Perhaps its only a regional thing? Can our cross-national posters affirm the state of Wal-mart in New York, California, or Florida?

Azim da Dream

------------------
    Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either. Just leave me the hell alone.

http://www.clutchtown.com

[This message has been edited by Azim da Dream (edited April 10, 2001).]

10. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I think the quality of the Wal-Mart most certainly depends on the area where that Wal-Mart is. The Wal-Mart by my apartment in Arlington is horrible. It's always crowded, the place is a mess and they are chronically understaffed (and the staff they do have are very unfriendly). The place is so bad that I simply don't ever go there.

But I've been to Wal-Marts in other parts of the Metroplex and had much better experiences. And when I lived in Amarillo, Wal-Mart was the place where I did most of my grocery shopping (and sometimes other shopping).

But I agree that Wal-Marts in general aren't run anywhere near as well as when Sam was still alive. (Speaking of Sam Walton, my Great Aunt worked for him back in Newport, Arkansas back in the Ben Franlin/Pre-Wal-Mart days).

------------------
    Houston Sports Board

11. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Tell em Ray....... K-Mart Sucks!!!!!

------------------
    "Repression never did me any harm (I finally ceased to include "stop masturbating" as one of my guilt ridden New Year's resolutions, but that's a different topic)." Achebe - programmer by day, Mrs Palmers Husband by night

12. Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket Contributing Member

I dont care as much about a 24 hour comp usa as I do about having a comp usa where it is always sunday. Because those deals they have on sunday are great but too often they run out by monday.

------------------
    ~John~
    Help keep the obsessed thread alive post the reasons why you are an obsessed Rockets fan by clicking here

13. outlaw

outlaw Member

monday? some of those deals don't even last an hour if they even have them to begin with. plus everything at CompUSA has a freakin mail-in rebate that takes like a year to get back if at all.

------------------

14. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

The one on south I-35 sucks as well. One time, I guess the scanner wasn't working or something got reset. Well, the lady decides to punch in each 10 digit code per item isntead of re-scanning (she did have the option). We were shopping for our new apartment, so we must have had 30 to 40 items. We finally (after 15 minutes) said we'll come back. She was relieved, but the sad thing is, the "manager," a 20 year old kid with a high school diploma was also. Pathetic.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Azim,

In all honesty, the Wal Mart I spoke of has got to be the worst. It looks like a bomb shelter that didn't make it. However, I've gone to other Wal-Marts that are much better kept. I worked at one when I was younger that was kept in better condition. It's just that I have never seen as much chaos at this particular Wal-Mart on any given evening or afternoon. The parking lot looks like a traffic jam.

On the other hand, I always see Targets as being fairly clean, but I'd much rather shop at Wal-Mart. I don't know why. Maybe the cheaper prices alone is enough to justify wading through the war zone.

------------------
    "So you say you want some intelligent responses? I say give me something intelligent to respond to." -- Dimwits beware, B-Ball freak tells it like it is. Sing it bro!

16. Ali Cat

Ali Cat Member

OOOhhh, I used to go to that one all the time when I lived in Georgetown. There used to be nothing around there... Ah the good old days. [​IMG] That one is the BEST to go to late at night.

You should post more often! Yeah for women! [​IMG]

------------------

17. haven

haven Member

You know, I think that this is the 3rd Walmart sucks thread I've seen since I've been here...

... of course, I understand. I can't go to Wal-Mart without becoming depressed at all the poverty.

Hehe... does anyone remember their commercial not too far back about the 3 generations of Wal-Mart women all working together?

Wal-mart is perpetuating a cyle of poverty and repressing women! I mean, wouldn't a better commercial have been "By working at Wal-Mart, I put my daughter through college so she can have a better life."

That's what I'd have done, at least, if I were an advertizing exec.

------------------
    I would believe only in a God who could dance. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Boston College - NCAA Hockey National Champions 2001

[This message has been edited by haven (edited April 10, 2001).]

18. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Target sucks too.

All stores suck. ugh!

------------------
    snap crackle pop

19. Ali Cat

Ali Cat Member

I like Wal-Mart. I think they have better clothes than Target. Both are good. I prefer Wal-Mart because it is a fun place to go and play at three in the morning. [​IMG]

------------------

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Now if only CompUSA, Fry's, or Micro Center stayed open 24 hours... *drooool*...

Cruise for PC2100 RAM and chicks at the same time.

Oh la la.

------------------