1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Possible trade targets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Thanos, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Thanos

Thanos Member

This thread's purpose is to come up with a list of players that could be of interst to us in a trade and that actually have a chance of being traded from their teams. No point in adding say, Okafor and G. Wallace when you know they are not being traded or we don't have what it takes to get them.

Our primary assets are: Barry, DA, Moochie, Bowen, Howard, Wesley and Mutumbo. With the last three the least likely to be traded, and with Barry only being a possibility if he agrees to forfeit his bird rights. DA, of course, is already out, and Moochie and Wesley have special value as they are expiring contracts. Bowen, of course, is Van Gundy's soulmate, so perhaps it's a waste of time including him here.

Head, Swift and Hayes are off-limits, but not deal breakers if the right deal comes along, but I'm not thinking about blockbusters, but moves like bringing Bogans in, so I suppose they are off the list.

Yao, TMac and Alston are untouchables.

Keeping in mind recent comments by CD and JVG, it would seem that they have finally wised up and are going after young players. I came up with this short list with that in mind. Feel free to contribute and discuss.

NY:

David Lee
    Nate Robinson
    Jamal Crawford
    Quentin Richardson
    (isaiah is in panic mode and I hope we take advantage off it)

GS:

M. Pietrus
    M. Dunleavy (too expensive for production)
    T. Murphy

MIN:

E. Griffin (just for laughs, lol)

Denver:

Kenyon Martin (he's available, though with that contract... would require Swift thrown in and maybe Head. Too risky.)

NO/OKH:

D. Mason (expiring contract)
    JR Smith
    Boki (see Griffin)

CHA:

K. Rush

2. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

of your list of trade assets. i think that you need to take Mutombo and Barry off it. Not that they are untradable, but i think each would retire before accepting a trade at this point in their careers, unless it was to San Antonio or Detroit (imagine Mutombo next to Duncan in the playoffs or backing up Wallace) I dont think there is much on either roster unless we are looking for a Barry reiunion.

I think that Q Rich or Crawford are very likely in NY. Isaiah wants to bring in Ratliff for Brown who wants an inside presence but he doesn't want to take on 33 million in salary. If we package a David Wesley with Anderson to NY for either Q rich or Crawford they would slash enough off their payroll to be able to take on Ratliff AND either patterson or Darius Miles. I think i'd elect for Crawford before Q rich just cause of the back injury to Richardson. if he were totally healthy i'd take him first. Crawford has above average passing ability for the 2 guard spot and unlike wesley is young, athletic and not undersized.

3. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If we are trading our old guys, I think we'll try to trade them to a winner, in a playoff race, where they can help.

Detroit - Darko, Carlos Arroyo, picks for - vets.

NJ - various guys Padge, MJackson, etc, and more important - picks.

Indiana - Fred Jones, Grahmn, picks

Miami - UNLIKELY - don't see JVG dealing with Riles, plus, they got nothing young. Maybe picks, anyway.

Cleveland - no thanks.

----------------------------------------
    In the west - I'd think someones like Howard, Deke, Wesley, DA and JB could really help Denver in a two year window playoff push. We can also offer Moochie :).

Also the Clippers.

once again, I'd trade for young talent and picks. Denver has Nene, Clips have Wilcox etc.

Don't see a partner in Dallas or SA - too close to home.

4. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Detroit and Orlando supposedly have talked about a Darko and Arroyo for Cato deal (see Florida Today), as Detroit needs a backup center. So how about Mutombo, Anderson and Luther Head for Darko? The salaries would match. Or Mutombo, Anderson, Head and either Wesley or Moochie for Darko and Arroyo, also a salary match.

5. xcomputerman

xcomputerman Contributing Member

Heck no -- no way I'd give up Head for Darko.

And we definitely do not want Mr Quentin "I-make-a-bajillion-dollardz-and-never-saw-a-trey-I-didn't-like-even-though-my-stats-are-in-the-toilet" Richardson.

6. GBRocket

GBRocket Contributing Member

Yeah Q-Rich sucks. All his game is now is camping out on the three point line (especially in the corner) waiting and hoping for the ball to come his way so he can put it up for three. He has awful conditioning. He has adequate post moves and is OK on defense but at a slow 6-5 these aren't much use to us.

Crawford could be a lightning spark for us. ALthough a little undersized for a 2-guard he has extremely creative offensive skills and his quickness is off the charts. Can handle minutes at the 1 as well and with Bogans on the team, Crawford's lack of defense could be less ofa problem. I'd like to see him on the Rockets if it was a choice between the two.

7. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Yuck, Yuck, Yuck.

This team's problems in no particular order:

1. No distinct 3rd scoring option-at this point Rafer is our 3rd man most nights, and sometimes Juwon is. Juwon should be coming off the bench and Rafer should be feeding our 3rd scorer.

2. Not enough size on the perimeter.

3. Not enough quickness on the perimeter.

We basically can't stop the post ups or the penetration from the guards.

4. Rebounding inconsistency. Our rebounding comes and goes like the wind. One night we nut up and outboard our opponent by 10. The next night we go -20 on the glass.

We can't put together a long winning streak with that kind of play. To me, we've got to go after a player that can be our 3rd scoring option and ALSO provide us some help on D and the glass. If we just go after a one dimensional scorer who gives it all back on the other end, we aren't helping ourselves, especially with a coach like Van Gundy.

Of all the players you listed, only 1 fits the bill. That is Pietrus. He's got the right combination of size, quickness, offensive ability, and heart. To get him, we'll have to take back a salary dump and probably give away expirings, talent, and a pick, if he is even attainable at all. Right now, he's going off in his new starting role with the Warriors and it looks like his trade value is growing exponentially every game.

But my point is, we have to hold out for that 3rd option that can score and give us some D and boards. Crawford.............one dimensional, can't pass, doesn't play D, and not enough size. QRich..........a huge questionmark. He's not doing it for LB. He isn't in shape and when he is on the floor, which is less and less, he doesn't play D or play with any heart. Why is he not going to do that for LB and do it for JVG??? I really don't see it. I'm worried he might turn into the next Dennis Scott except a worse shooter.

Here's a short list of the players or types of players that we need to try to attain:

Harrington, Maggette, Miles, Pietrus-(primary need)
    Evans or some other banging 4-(secondary need boards and physicality)

To get our primary need, we are going to have to take on salary and give away some orall of our tradable assets, namely Luther and Swift, expirings, and picks. If we could pick up somebody like Evans without giving away too much, then that leaves us the ability to move Swift and/or Howard to help acquire our 3rd option.

Deals like taking on Ratliffe's big contract along with Darius Miles, or taking on Foyle's contract along with Pietrus are the type of deal that I see would improve this team the most.

8. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I hate to break the news, but head is a career bench player.

9. jopatmc

Shhhhhhh! (until after we move him)

10. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

Darko and Arroyo for Cato is a fantasyland trade from Orlando writers and fans. Orlando may be interested in Darko/Arroyo and Detroit may trade him, but Cato would be the filler and not the target. Cato would be Detroit's 5th best big man (Sheed, Ben, Dice, Dale Davis) and likely never see the court. Orlando would be including something extra like Vazquez, Nelson, or their high pick.

As for Detroit moving those two to Houston, Detroit has 15 guys under contract and doesn't want to cut any of them. They would not take back more players than they sent out. And, again, a pick or quality player or both would have to be included with the flotsam. There is no motivation to do the trade for Detroit otherwise.

11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

We need Biedrins.

12. bigdawgtt

bigdawgtt Member

I don't think this guys name has been brought up but how bout going after Carlos Boozer. I'm thinking we might be able to get him for Howard and Wesley. They only way they would do it is if they are tired of Boozer's health issues and want to unload his contract for two smaller ones(including wesley's expiring one). But we definetly can't give up this years 1st round pick in this deal.

next years starters could be

alston
    1st round pick
    mcgrady
    boozer
    yao

13. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Even though PF is not a pressing need on this team, I'd give almost anything for Troy Murphy. He would be the perfect guy to compliment Yao - tough rebounder, great range, young. If GS really wants to dump his salary, I'd take him in a second.

Would anyone here take Murphy AND Dunleavy from them? That's a lot of contract to swallow, but if you could do it in exchange for Swift, Wesley, Moochie, and a 1st rounder - wow!

PG: Alston/Sura or Lucas III
    SG: McGrady/Head or Barry
    SF: Dunleavy/Bogans
    PF: Murphy/Howard
    C: Yao/Mutumbo
    Bench: Bowen, Hayes

It would be a total Florida Marlins-esque salary dump for GS that would actually hurt their team in the short-run. I guess it would all depend on how much they like their younger frontcourt players and how much they hate Dunleavy's contract.

But for the Rockets, even if Dunleavy never improves, you've still got a great lineup with TMac, Yao, Murphy, and Alston being together for several years.

14. jopatmc

I would do that deal if we can include the Clippers in on it. Send the Clippers Dunleavy and get Maggette. And take out Swift and put in Howard. I'd rather dump Howard if we are gonig to take back that much salary.

15. Furious Jam

No, GS won't want to take back salary, because the whole idea would be a giant salary dump for them. Why would they lose Murphy just to dump a little salary?

16. jopatmc

They're taking back salary if they take back Swift. It's just a talent downgrade. Remember, if they send out Dunleavy and Murphy, they are sending out a lot of salary for mediocre players. I would think they would be interested.

I would also think they would be interested in trading Pietrus if they could include Foyle in the deal and get back expirings, and maybe one young player like Luther.

Just my thoughts. Of course, they are going to hold out for better. But GS's future is Biedrins at the 5 and Diagu at the 4. Foyle, Fish, Dunleavy, and Murphy are all bloated contracts. I don't think Dunleavy fits here. So, if we are going to take back 2 bloated salaries in Murphy and Dunleavy, we've got to get a better fit than Dunleavy. Dunleavy wants to play for his dad, his dad wants him, Maggette is coming off injury, the Clips are set in the backcourt, all leads me to speculate that Maggette may be available for the right price.

17. Lil' Worm

Lil' Worm Member

My first choice would be Crawford from NY. His weakness maybe defense and really relating to his thin frame, but I think Gundy could help with that.

Dunleavy could be had for the right package. He is coming off the bench with a riduculous salary for a bench player. Pietrus has been playing more lately and seems like GS's choice at small forward going forward.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Howard, Wesely, Mooch and DA could be packaged. Not sure the salary workout. Could throw in a future 2nd round pick.

18. Furious Jam

Though Howard is the better player, he's much older than Swift and has an extra 2 years on his contract - I'm sure that GS would want Swift, not Howard.

Also, if GS trades Dunleavy, they're doing it to free up minutes and salary for Pietrus - GS wouldn't deal them both.

19. eman

eman Contributing Member

Any way we could get Kendrick Perkins from the Celtics? He's young, an enforcer type, a local (Beaumont) product. I'm liking the youth movement idea.

20. jopatmc

I was talking about one or the other. Dunleavy and Murphy are both bloated contracts. If they want to move one or the other then they could toss in a player like Pietrus to get that done. But if they want to move both of Murphy and Dunleavy together, they gotta find somebody that actually wants Dunleavy or Murphy and there's more salary that has to be dealt with.

The Pietrus deal is in lieu of Dunleavy. And I agree, the more time Pietrus gets, the more difficult it is going to be to get GS to turn loose of him.

Here's a thought: If we are going to keep Howard and give up Swift in that deal then we should expand it to include DA and Wilcox. Clips send us Wilcox and we send them DA and a pick. That way we get Maggette, Murphy, and Wilcox out of a deal and send out DWes, Moochie, Swift, DA and a pick. This may be a deal that GS agrees to, I don't know if it would be enough for the Clips.