1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Does Phillips Rivers do anything for you?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it'd be great. In two or three years they'd be right back into rebuilding. Trying to build around a player that is nearing the end is a stopgap move. It is a shortcut to a spot on the mediocrity treadmill.

The only way trading for an old guy like that makes sense is if adding him will make you a Super Bowl contender, as the Broncos did with Manning. Mortgaging your future in order to put yourself in Wild Card contention for the next three or four years is a stupid plan. Hopefully, Rivers forces them to give him a contract that kills their cap long after he is over the hill.

Smart move by San Diego to sell Rivers before the bottom falls out, ensuring a seamless transition to the next guy who will start for them for the next ten years instead of riding the Rivers train right over the edge of a cliff. Rivers is at exactly the age where his skills should start the long slide down to retirement.

Thinking long term is the smart move.

2. Major

Major Member

NFL rosters have almost complete turnover over about 5 years. You can't really build longer term than than because probably 40+ players will be different than they are now.

Mariota would be nice for them, but that assumes they believe in him. If they don't, then it's doubtful they'll get anything at that spot that will provide more value than 3 or 4 years of Rivers. And if they are getting other draft picks in addition, even more value for them.

If they get Rivers, they are competitive for a few years, and build a bit of a foundation. For a team that's been terrible for several years now, that's important for the fanbase. When Rivers leaves, they can still suck for a year and go get a top tier QB from the draft at that point too.

3. Major

Major Member

And everyone always talks about cap-killing contracts of these top tier QBs, but none of these teams ever seem to regret their QB signings.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If the BE-SF's want to trade the #2 pick in the draft for a QB that turns 34 this season, I"m 100% for it.

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I pretty much agree. If Rivers makes you a legit Super Bowl contender then you go ahead and do it. But if he doesn't, what's the point?

Yeah, teams are constantly changing, but good QBs stick around. Find a good, young one and you can build around them for the next 15 years. The key is to find a young one, not one who'll retire before the rest of your team gets good enough to make a serious run.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

If this happens, the titans will be a serious contender. *

*for 7-9

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

So Chargers are officially moving to LA. If Rivers demands a trade what would you be willing to give up for him?

8. dmoneybangbang

Yes, trade picks and the last year of Brock's contract for Rivers.

raining threes likes this.
  9. Nimo

Nimo Member

Don't they also need a head coach? They can have Bill O'Brien.

10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Brock and Arian Foster.

But for real though. Do we have enough cap space with Bouye coming up in FA and Brock just weighing us down in the cap, when does Clowney need a new contract?

11. val_modus

val_modus Member

Clowney likely gets extended next year. Bouye either walks, or we cut/restructure JJo to keep him. Personally, I see him walking since he's gonna demand so much money that we need invested elsewhere. I'm confident in this CB group with KJ coming back.

Rivers would be the best case scenario for the Texans this offseason, meaning that it's not going to happen.

donkeypunch likes this.
  12. Nimo

Nimo Member

Still gotta pay Hopkins

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

If Rivers were to demand a trade, isn't it motivated by the fact that he doesn't want to leave the San Diego area? So why would he want to get traded to any other NFL team, ALL of which would be much further from the San Diego area than LA will be?

Maybe he demands a trade because of the move and because his career has been wasted in San Diego from a W/L perspective.

14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Why? Kareem is nothing special and J-Jo will only continue declining. If the Texans are serious about maintaining a good defense, they will keep Bouye in order to pair him with Johnson. That means your corner position is set for a long time.

15. HstnSprtsFan101

Worst case scenario we can franchise Bouye right? we need to keep him. He is legit and has gotten better each year. Maybe his value won't be as high as we may think considering his undrafted background, first good year, part of a great defense, often penalized, all should be factors that could scare teams away.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

A really expensive QB well known for choking? Where do we sign up?

17. raining threes

Of course. Let me tell you how much I want him here. I'm sick of seeing such crap QB play and there's little doubt that he would be the best QB in frachise history for the next 4-5 yrs. I would trade this yrs draft and a 2018 1st for Rivers. The one thing I would require the Chargers do is take on Os contract for next yr, so then I would have cap room to sign an OT/reup Bouye/sign a new ILB after letting Cushing walk.

Ol to protect Rivers would look like this Brown/XSF/Mancz/FA OT.

Good enough to make a playoff run with this defense.

18. Pete the Cheat

unfortunately it doesn't work that easy in the NFL in trading Os. You have to eat his remaining bonus money whether you trade him or cut him.

19. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'd keep Bouye over Rivers.

20. Nook

Nook Member

Well he is no Brock Osweiler but maybe we can Rivers as a back up on the quarterback rich Texans.