1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SI.COM --Hollinger on Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Gatorfan76, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Gatorfan76

Gatorfan76 Contributing Member

From SI.com --Inside the Mailbag

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/john_hollinger/01/11/mailbag/index.html

What is the Rockets' problem? On paper, Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming should be on par with the other great duos in the league. Is the supporting cast around them just not good enough or is the burden falling on the stars themselves?

While McGrady's numbers are a bit off from previous seasons, the supporting cast in Houston is the main cause -- it's dreadful. The power forward production has been D-League quality as Juwan Howard and Maurice Taylor battle tooth-and-nail to win the ESPY for "Most Disappointing Michigan Product," while the bench would have trouble winning the Big 12. The mere fact that Ryan Bowen was getting serious minutes -- and even a few starts -- should send the alarm bells ringing.

The trades for Jon Barry and David Wesley will help a little, as does Bob Sura's return, but many problems remain. What the Rockets need to focus on is making good basketball plays and hitting basketball shots so their basketball team can win some basketball games (sorry, just wanted to see how it sounded).

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Good to see the media FINALLY catching on in terms of the Rockets problems. None of this Tmac and Yao not meshing BS. The supporting cast is a HUGE issue! Just like it is for Miami when they lose games.

The supporting cast has to step up and be contributors.

3. fa7999

fa7999 Member

LOL. Take Yao & TMac out of the Rockets lineup, I would bet my $$ on Kansas, Illinois, or UNC beating the **** out of my beloved Rockets.

4. dreday

dreday Contributing Member

I don't know, I think we could take Kansas...

5. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Did he write this 2 weeks ago?

6. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Disturbing answer: Probably yes. I work in the media. Trust me, we settle on a story line and it can easily be 2 weeks before the piece appears or our opinion wakes up to a new reality. So take all these "what's wrong with the Rockets' offense" articles with a gallon of month-old salt.

7. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Yeah I was going to mention that, also I could have sworn I'd read something similar elsewhere.

8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Looks like this guy is falling into the same trap as everyone else.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

What's with the Big 12 bashing?

10. u851662

u851662 Contributing Member

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah... We go as Yao goes when he plays well we win, when he plays like a scrub we are mediocre. Right now he is consistently the later. When it finally clicks in his mind we will be an elite team. I personally think our role players, although old, are playing fine....

11. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

This is too funny...:D

12. Daddy

Daddy Member

who knows what the media is catching on to. i think the media are just like car salesmen. they are both trying to sell you a product. one is selling you a car, the other is trying to sell you his words. the best way to do that is to write something that will get people talking just like we are now. most of them choose the controversy route because everyone loves a good controversy.

these guys are just like you and me, except they went to college and got a degree in writing and spelin', and they knew somebody who knew somebody that got them a job in the media. now they are considered EXPERTS?? i dont think so. just another opinion.

13. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So...they need to play well and make shots to win. Hmmm...do they also need to score more than their opponents? This is all so confusing and technical. My head hurts.

14. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

My sentiments too.

I hate it when out of touch journos comment on things they have no clue about. What is wrong when someone like say Steven A. Smith or Peter Vecsey just say I do not know what is goinbg on there sincerely? Their egos will not let them rather they will contrieve something to make them seem informed and "in-the-know".

Good for you Hollinger - at least you have a clue.

15. Nero

Nero Member

Hi! Welcome to 2004!

16. franchise23

franchise23 Contributing Member

lets not go that far. Our supporting cast might be bad but not that bad.

17. scotia

scotia Contributing Member

What do we need ur a$$ for ? :confused: :D

Sorry, is not a$$, is a$$!!!;)