1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

D. Mo vs. T. Jones BBS Cannibalism

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vator, Dec 13, 2014.

1. vator

vator Contributing Member

Why do some people find it necessary to pit two young and promising players against one another? Why? Almost every other thread. Why don't you see that this team can be most successful with them BOTH producing at a high level?

What other team in the NBA can boast that they have two young power forwards on rookie deals capable of giving a team averages of 14 and 8? Capable of going out and dropping games of 25-30 points and double digit rebounds? Maybe you find one of their games more aesthetically pleasing than the other for whatever reason, but production is production. I happen to think they both are highlight reels waiting to happen.

Some people favor D. Mo. A 7 footer with excellent size and speed, legit post moves, solid defender, good passer. He does the little things you need to win. He has improved his strength and toughness. He needs to work on being a better rebounder and a consistent outside shot would make him virtually incapable of being guarded. He does play below the rim though, but his limitations haven't been quite as noticeable lately as he has been able to accentuate his strengths.

Some favor TJ. An athletic guy with flashy dribble moves and highlight dunks. He is a good ball handler, shot blocker, offensive rebounder, and gets lots of buckets off the fast break and cleaning up around the basket. He needs to improve his strength as a post defender, block out better for defensive rebounds, improve his defensive awareness, show a consistent motor, and develop a more reliable jumpshot. Neither are finished products and that is very exciting because they are both good right now. Nobody should pretend to know what they will be as finished products, but both have tremendous potential to be VERY good.

Year one, D. Mo seemed to be the frontrunner, TJ clearly surpassed him year two and seemed to be on pace to eclipse him again this year until injury, but D. Mo has been an epiphany in year three.

Here is the thing though. You really don't have to chose. You don't have to trash one in order to build up the other. Be happy! We have them both! Two young guys on rookie contracts with completely different games that are both productive! That means you can match up with different teams and also CREATE matchup problems. Best believe that both D. Mo and TJ are matchup problems offensively when allowed to do what they do best. TJ was destroying the Celtics off the dribble earlier this year and you saw what D. Mo just did to Faried tonight.

It doesn't matter if you prefer the silky low post game or the flashy dribble drives and dunks. Teams typically need at least three solid big guys in this league to be good. Rooting for one guy only and hoping the other fails means the Rockets ultimately fail. Stop the Red on Red violence. :cool:

Actions speak louder than words.
    If this doesn't make you excited, I don't know what else to say.
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/OBG8lbjodSg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If this doesn't make you excited, I also have no idea what else to say.
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jL2ogxrsiKE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7 people like this.
  2. hooroo

hooroo Member

Donuts, Jones, Dorsey, and Black aren't rim protectors. They don't intimidate opposition from going to the rack. Day and night with Howard back.

Jones is the Rockets best asset to attain that second rim protector.

3. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Agreed!

To me they're a more talented version of Scola and Landry....

It's Scolandry 2.0!

4. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Excellent post, but your premise is flawed.

You do have to chose. Morey always chooses. How did Scola vs Landry turn out? Brooks vs Rafer? Brooks vs Lowry? Dragic vs Lowry? Bud vs. Parsons?

Morey always trades one guy who he feels is maxed out and keeps the other one who usually ends up being the better player and contributes more. The lone exception is how Dragic vs. Lowry turned out. They're both very good and we ended up not being able to keep Dragic after our summer plans fizzed out.

Anyway, there's gonna be a trade sometime later in the year to push us from contenders to really serious contenders. I am almost certain it will be for a point guard and Jones as well as perhaps Beverley will be a part of it.

1 person likes this.
  5. bmd

bmd Member

Suddenly it seems like the PF position can be pretty strong if Jones can come back and get into playing shape and regain his form.

Motiejunas is playing awesome and up to the potential that many people saw in him. He's really been great on both sides of the ball.

6. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

Forget about Scolandry.

Motiejones!

1 person likes this.
  7. photojoe

photojoe Member

For the past couple of years, I thought that D-Mo always looked awkward, uncoordinated and out of place on the court. I had the feeling that he would be one of those players that was talented but was never able to figure it all out.

I am glad to admit that I was wrong and the past couple of weeks he has completely changed that perception.

Both he and Jones have different strengths, and when they are both healthy, could be a pretty formidable 'PF by committee.' Or, if Morey is still determined to find a 3rd star, either one of them could be legit assets included as part of that trade.

8. vator

vator Contributing Member

I disagree with part of what you said and thus I truly believe your premise is flawed and here is why. We as Rockets fans don't need to chose because Morey will chose for us. I'm already prepared for the fact that he probably will trade one, but it doesn't matter who we prefer. What matters is either who he prefers or which one he can get the most for. As long as they are both wearing Rocket Red and producing, I say support them both. There is no need to go to the extremes that some posters go to in order to prop up their favorite by trashing the other guy. Both guys have proven themselves to be solid rotation guys with upside.

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

That's awesome. Too bad we didn't just sign Lowry and keep those guys as well. There isn't a better point guard that could be traded for.

10. Asian Sensation

"I like it! Hehehe."

1 person likes this.
  11. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

There is much wisdom in your post!!!

GO ROCKETS!!!

12. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

As a fan you have every right to choose. I've never liked Jones' game and was never impressed even when he put up big numbers. Most of his points came off gimme opportunities as a direct result of playing with James Harden. And he routinely gets exposed by bigger PF's.

No defense has to game plan for Terrence Jones. I've never seen Jones receive a double team. D-Mo has been receiving double teams since that Milwaukee game.

I never felt that PF spot was a positive for us even when Jones put up big numbers. He is a really really bad defender. Getting sweet blocks is cool and all but his team defense is not even worth bringing up since you don't want anyone to talk bad about Rockets' players.

For the first time since Scola in 2010 I feel like our PF spot is worth a damn again. It's been a long time coming. And for that reason I'm really happy with D-Mo.

Now do I hate Jones? No. The team will definitely benefit a lot from him coming back healthy as soon as possible. I hope he does a great job for us off the bench until he is most likely traded.

I root for every Rockets' player. That doesn't mean I can't like some (who I think benefit the team way more) to a greater extent than I like others.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The reality is that only one is going to be around past their rookie deal, I think that person is DMo given that he's the more talented of the two and is the more rare commodity of the two. Also, it's a flash vs fundamental argument. Some prefer the "lob city" Clippers who got bounced in the playoffs every year to the Spurs who win the championship seemingly every other year.

14. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I think and hope we have room for both guys. As much as I love what Dorsey and especially Black have brought us so far this season, the thought of the rotation of Donuts + Jones + Howard with Dorsey and Black getting spot backup minutes makes me foam at the mouth.

My only problem with Terrence Jones right now is that he can't seem to get himself back on the damn court... Such a shame. He was playing fantastic.

15. mario_v

mario_v Member

Im a fan of both jones and dmo. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. It's funny how most people were so high on jones and low dmo, now it's the complete opposite.

I believe in what's best for the team. Right now, dmo's stock is rising. If he can continue this until the trade deadline, it could net us that third star Morey has been looking for.

Of course, some delusional fans here think dmo is that star we've been looking for.:rolleyes:

16. platypus

platypus Member

Your a delusional fan who thinks that Morey would trade a promising young forward for who? There is no major star on the market, rondo (can't shoot worth a lick) and that's it.

Stop posting garbage, Morey is going to upgrade the team by using the exception and picks and probably troy Daniels. He's not gonna trade DMO

17. NBAandNFLFan

NBAandNFLFan Member

man people forget how good t.jones is

cant we just be happy with everybody and wait till everybody gets healthy

18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Becuz teamZ Dmo.

that is all.

19. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

And what point guard would require Jones and Bev? Rockets aren't trading for Rondo...

20. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Also, I'm sure basketballhollic is getting off in a corner thinking about how many anti-TJ followers he's getting.