1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Version 2.0] Clutchfans Pick Up Basketball Games

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by ClutchCityReturns, Mar 14, 2008.

1. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I figure the original pick up game thread has run its course, and with the weather warming up, I think it's about time to start up a new thread and extend an invitation to everyone on the board one more time.

For those who don't know, there are Clutchfans pick up games almost every weekend (weather permitting) at a court near the Post Oak YMCA, near the Galleria area. We always have a half court all to ourselves, and often times the entire court. It's covered, has good rims and backboards, all the necessary painted lines, and even a couple of short goals on the sidelines if you feel like dunking for a few minutes (we usually do). In general we play 3v3 or 4v4 half court, since some attendees may not have the best lungs for full court, as well as the fact that we tend to play for 3 or 4 hours some days.

Here's the location:

[​IMG]

Going East on San Felipe, take a right on Augusta and park in the lot on the corner. From there, walk around the back fence of the baseball field and you'll see the court. Can't miss it, but here's a map with the lot and court circled.

[​IMG]

As I said, I'm making this thread mostly to get new people to join us. Originally we had about a dozen members who attended regularly, and that number started to grow until one week we must have had nearly 20. Lately though, the numbers have dwindled, and now we only get about 5 or 6 people. I think some of that is due to Winter, but now the weather is warming up and I'd think that plenty of people would like to get out and play some friendly basketball with their fellow Clutchfans members.

Therefore, I'm extending an invitation to ALL people who are reading this right now. We want you to come out and join us. Even bring friends if you like. ALL shapes, sizes, and skill levels are welcome. Most of the people who attend did not play on high school teams or anything like that, so there is no reason at all for anyone to be apprehensive about attending. We just play some fun games of basketball and talk Rockets. What's not to love about that?

--------------------------------------------------

So, anybody interested in playing tomorrow around 1? I haven't played since last week and I'm itching to get on the court. Weather is supposed to be sunny and 83! Should be perfect, aside from a bit of wind.

2. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Can you record some clips?

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm up for this weekend if we play Sunday. Can't make it tomorrow.

[​IMG]

4. rusHour

rusHour Contributing Member

still start it up at 2:00?

#4 rusHour, Mar 14, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2008
  5. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Some people usually get there at 1pm, but stragglers (like myself) tend to show around 2pm.

Looks like tomorrow at 1/2-ish or bust, since the Lakers game is Sunday.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Yeeeeeeah, I didn't see this thread until now, but as I said in the other one...

Rockets-Lakers is at 2:30.

So that uh, may be a problem for playing on Sunday.

I'll be in Galveston tomorrow.

Weather is starting to get nicer though, we need more people to show up.

7. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I'm on my new schedule working saaturdays, and of course out for sunday for the game, so next week it is

8. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

I really have had trouble finding people to play. I would love to come but I feel creepy meeting internet people to play basketball.

It's not creepy is it?

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I am with you on that.

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Its weird the first time but you miss a shot and make a Chuck Hayes joke and by the next week it isn't weird anymore.

11. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

I can attest to that. Although I haven't been back out there since, I wouldn't feel like a stranger if I went out there again.

Yeah baby, image is nothing, obey your thirst.

12. mlwoo

Still not sure. Really want to play basketball.

I'm not worried about me not being able to get along with you or being a stranger. I'm worried about ya'll being a bunch of greasy palm computer geeks that are going to get me there just so they can kidnap me and do weird things to me with their computer joysticks.

I really don't want to be "jammed" by a joystick, dude.

13. Dave2000

ha, I haven't had bad expierence from anybody I've meet on the boards fwiw

plus you've basically seen what we look like with all the pics and vids we've posted, we don't bite :)

I remember when shan/finalsbound thought I was some Y-O-F, heh, now Kam..... that's another story :D

#13 Dave2000, Mar 14, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2008
  14. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The joystick thing is only for the losing team. So if you are pretty good, you don't have anything to worry about.

I forgot about the Laker game. I don't register in my head anymore what time the Rockets play because I tape every game and watch it on DVR so I can skip through commercials. Also, I do this so I know the outcome of the game beforehand. If I am watching a game live, I get so into it and so edgy that I turn into a complete ******* if the team doesn't do well, even for a 2 minute stretch. Whether we are ahead by 2 points or 25, I let out a ridiculous string of obscenities anytime Rafer does something stupid (or anyone for that matter). So for my wife and children's sake, I don't watch games live anymore.

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I'd think macalu would be more worried about you posting him up. :)

that was hilarious.

16. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

It's too bad for you guys that I work Saturday mornings from 5:30 am - 1 pm and would be too tired to go hoop on you all.

Sundays I'll normally work 8am-11am so I might be down to play Sunday afternoons in the future, that park is pretty close to me and I've probably played on it before (I went to T.H. Rogers Middle School)

$KO40A$

17. mlwoo

This is why I do not want to play with internet people. They take their screen name wayy too seriously.

I can just picture everyone coming up and introducing themselves as their screen name. Then they would start to create nicknames off their screen names. "Yo, moes" "Hey waaup DD??" "How's it kickin' mac-man?"

This would be the downfall of my existence to associate with this.

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Not to hijack the thread, but CCR if you're looking for some games tomorrow, there are usually people at Spotts Park starting around 10 am on Saturdays...good games. just google the park.

19. Dave2000

a little too geeky for u? I can say that miguel is the geek of the group :)

btw, if u keep your handle the same as your name, it wouldn't be a problem :D

20. mlwoo

Is this what happens???