1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Need helps with a "Will and Grace" paper

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LegendZ3, Nov 10, 2004.

Tags:
  1. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Okey, I'm doing a paper on the television show "Will and Grace", and I suppose to come up with 3 points that support the idea of this tv program is adding to the rejection to the homosexuals in the society. But without watching many episodes, I could only come up with one argument which is the character Jack is a negative stereotype of gay men.

Does anyone watch this show regularly? What other arguments can I have?

2. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

I think you're probably going to end up focusing on Jack... Will is a pretty "functional" member of society, you probably won't find much there.

Jack is where it's at... "Just Jack!" He's an overly theatrical drama queen who gossips and leeches off of his friends. There's a few points right there. Besides the way that Jack acts, the way that him and Will interact and converse might be another topic to look into...

3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Wait, let me get this one straight...

You are doing a paper about a sitcom you've never really watched to discuss its negative ramifications on an entire group of people?

Why would you agree to do that exactly? :)

Truth is, you might have a hard time proving your hypothesis. Most gay groups have responded very positively to Will & Grace, the obvious stereotype of Jack notwithstanding.

4. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Maybe it's because the whole show is annoying? Then they just blame that on homosexuals?

5. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Member

It's negative because the only relationships they let Will or Jack have are comical or very short lived. It adds to the stereotype that they cant have long lasting monogomous relationships. Grace can get proposed to by Woody Harrelson or that dude that came out in little man tate, but will is always just moping around ....

I got that from someone else by the way, and agreed with it. Its not my original opinion, so I might have gotten it from a magazine and not know about it, so beware of using this for your paper...

6. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

How about the fact that it portrays gays as being absolutely, terribly unfunny?

7. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I like the show.

8. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

*cough*

9. lpbman

lpbman Member

The only good part of that show is Megan Mullally's rack

10. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I like the show too. I dont record or wait for it to come on but if its on I'll watch and I'm usually entertained. Thats a lot coming from me since I usually loathe sitcoms. (except for That 70's Show which is by far my favorite)

11. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I watch the reruns (it's the only thing on at 10:30pm when you don't have cable), I like the show though a lot of Will's one liner humor is like Dennis Miller with a gay twist. The whole stereotypical gay jokes are done to death on the show especially with Jack's over the top performances. IMO the show's success stems from the fact many people can identify with Will and Grace's relationship. Not so much the fact that one is gay and one straight, but the whole problem with having that good friend with romantic tension, when you know it's never going to work. I think that seems to be the status of many people who live with members of the opposite sex that we don't call girlfriend wife, etc.

Still I don't see the show is a negative portrayl of gays. Go watch gay eye for the straight guy or whatever that show was to see a more negative stereotype.

BTW my favorite quote from the show"
    Will: "This isn't wierd Grace, gay Republicans are wierd!":D

12. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Put that rack on Grace and the show would be special.