1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Henson visits Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hottoddie, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

This article is from last Saturday's Chronicle, but I didn't read anywhere that it was posted on this BBS. I read this article on HPF & one well respected poster on that site suggested that the visit with Joppru might be a smoke screen. He stated that Henson & Joppru weren't exactly bossum buddies in college. Could this be the beginning of negotiations? Hmmm......

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/fb/texans/2150368

Henson visits

Quarterback Drew Henson, the Texans' sixth-round pick, was in town recently to visit tight end Bennie Joppru but did not meet with team officials.

Henson and Joppru are friends and former teammates at the University of Michigan. The Texans drafted Henson with hopes of trading his rights, but Henson played baseball in the New York Yankees' minor-league system and hasn't decided which sport to pursue.

All indications are he will give up baseball in favor of a career in the NFL. The Texans own Henson's rights until the 2004 draft. Henson can work out a deal with the Texans, who would allow him to negotiate with other teams as if he were a free agent, or he can re-enter the draft and be at the mercy of whichever team selects him.

"He finally had some time out from baseball, so he came in to visit me," said Joppru, who is on injured reserve because of a severe groin injury. "I don't know that it was necessarily to see Houston. It was to see me. He was mostly just relaxing and winding down from the baseball season.

"He liked it down here. He had a good time. I think he's excited about making a final decision on what he's going to do, and I think that's going to be sometime soon. To be honest with you, I don't know (which way he's leaning). He likes baseball and he likes football. There's a lot of money for him in either."

Joppru said Henson never set foot in Reliant Stadium but met some of the players in the parking lot. Texans general manager Charley Casserly said there was nothing new on the Henson front.

2. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Interesting, thanks for the post. I would love to see Henson's rights traded.