1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rick Adelman Game Management

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Kim, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I'm not sure which thread to put this thought in, so my apologies if it's better suited elsewhere, rather than on its own.

Over the season, one of the criticisms of Adelman was that he lost control too often during games and was hands-off. Leads would vanish, other teams would score too many points in a row before a timeout was called, and the Rockets offense would look terrible for too many stretches. People were saying that RA was trying to let the team figure things out on their own.

Well, things were a little different in game 1. Even though it was a big blowout, or maybe because of it, RA was not his usual coaching self. During the post game 1 press conference that I caught on NBAtv, Rick Adelman stated that he really made an effort to call a lot more plays than he usually does. He said he wanted to be sure that the team was focused and sticking to his plan.

Kudos Rick Adelman!

I know that's not his style and I know he usually likes to sit back all game long in his chair and watch...but this is the playoffs and the Rockets have had too many stretches out there this season where they've looked totally lost. Now I don't think he's going to become a coach that micromanages the entire game, but reigning the players in from time to time is a great idea, especially since Brooks is young and can get off-track, and Artest can get wild too. This team is smart enough to create offense on their own most of the time, but RA calling more plays than he did during the season is a good thing imo.

I hope he keeps it up for game 2, cause every possession is critical in the playoffs and I think RA managing more than usual can really help cut off opposing runs and limit stretches where the offense goes stupid.

2. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know he is a bit hands off to begin with but maybe he also was always eying the playoffs and beyond. He knew, even with struggles, that this team would make the playoffs so he allowed people and the team to falter. Certainly there was the bit after one collapse about leaving Brooks in to teach him something. Maybe he felt that beyond that combos of players and the whole team needed to learn some things over the season.

So now here they are, hopefully wiser, and he will be more active. As such, they have learned lessons on the court but also learned that problems can arise when they abandon his strategy.

Could be wishful thinking but I like to think he has always had some kind of plan instead of thinking that he is past his prime and sat on the bench during games thinking about his model airplane collection or something.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This team needs a more active Rick Adelman...

DD

4. EGYPT

EGYPT Member

especially the players from the JVG era. they are blue collar players that accept and want to be guided on the court.

5. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Yes, RA calling plays reigns in Ron and probably makes Brooks more comfortable. He looks a little hesitant when he's in the driver seat recently.

While his previous teams may have been more comfortable on their own, this team could use some extra direction.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think more the young PGs need it.

DD

7. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

As far as his time management of the players I think he did a great job with the exception of Mutumbo. With his old age he should've been substituted for Chuck Hayes much earlier to preserve his legs for Game 2.

8. sew

sew Member

naw.. Ron needs this the most.

9. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Deke has had rest all season + we got 3 days between games. His time management IMO was fine, might as well get some idea of what Deke can do vs. Oden that will be a key 2nd unit match in this series.

10. SouthMJS

SouthMJS Member

He was definitely a whole lot more active in game 1 than usual. Keep calling those plays Rick.

11. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Adelman was hiding his play calls from the visiting scouts.

12. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Actually, the team needed to grow and learn from mistakes. If he is calling every play, then there is no read react and the team can be caught on their heals to easily. He wants them playing by instinct.

This can be done in the regular season to help the team grow, especially a young point guard, and not to mention a team still trying to grasp a motion based offense.

But now, he knows he can't let them "figure it out" when things are going bad. I like it, but hope by next year, that the team doesn't need the prodding.

Reminds me alot of Popavich and the early Parker years.

13. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

You guy must not see Adelman talking to AB and Lowry when they make a mistake. It's not often, but he's not some clueless absentee coach. Most of the coaching is done in practice and film studying anyways. A team that needs to be constantly coached during the game is a poorly learning team.

14. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

I noticed this, too. We saw a lot of stuff we hadn't seen yet such as Scola AND Yao double-teaming Aldridge. Even LaMarcus was shocked at that one and couldn't figure it out all game.

I like the thought of Adelman holding his hand close to his chest... we'll see what adjustments Portland makes in game 2 and what the Rockets do about it.

15. blacktopKING

blacktopKING Member

Exactly what I was thinking. Didn't Pop compare AB to Parker a few months back? If I recall correctly, he said that Adelman's coaching style will greatly help AB's growth process during that same interview.

During the season, Adelman did take a whole lot of criticism for having this "sit back and watch" style of coaching but I now am forced to believe that he was doing it for the sole purpose of preparing the team for the playoffs. I really did like the way he coached game 1. Ron's shot selection was held in check, AB's ability to run the offense looked almost immaculate, Deke looked 21 again blocking shots and rebounding, and Yao looked very confident out there. The fact that they had zero jitters amazed me, I expected them to come out a little nervous and anxious during the first half but they proved me wrong. During the course of their blowout, they did not celebrate excessively or let off the gas, they remained focused and professional. This aspect of the whole game is what really has me excited, it seems like they are out there to prove a point, to take care of business. I can't wait for game 2!

1 person likes this.
  16. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Exactly. The micro management of the game is what slowed the game down. basketball is reactionary and when you have a guy calling every play like pat riley and jvg, its kills any flow. People never complain when phil looks like he's taking a nap on the bench. He lets his team go into and out of runs. When the team gets stagnated, he takes kobe out and make thm ru the offense. People b**** on here because they were used to jvg calling every play and overcoaching. Like DD stated, with 2 young pg's, sometimes you have to have a little more structure, but you dont wan them looking to the sidelines after every rebs. Instead you want them to push , then control the flow.

17. Rocketsfan86

Rocketsfan86 Member

Adelman has always known to be a great playoffs coach.

18. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

five stars... good points being made here.

Oddities in the beginning are easy to criticize if short-sited people don't look into what the end result will be. What is that? A team that won't always need a coach to call a time out in play offs, but when it has to happen it will happen. This tactic is great because it helps the team preserve its time outs when it needs them most. It also makes the team more likely to adapt on the move.

19. vtkp99

vtkp99 Contributing Member

I couldn't agree more...Great coaches always have something under their sleeve until play-off's time

20. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Likely, Rick Adelman saves his best in the playoff. He did the great job in the game 1, including the decision that he did not play Yao again after the team was winning big, so that Yao can have lots of time to rest his sore foot.