1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My Concern about Terrence Jones in Playoffs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oakdogg, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Yes sir I do. The one and only game Jones went to work on Splitter. Splitter played over 30minutes and was shut down by our front court. He only scored around 6 points and 5-6 rebounds.

2. basketballholic

Well I certainly hope you are right if we play them. But I don't see it. I think Jones has proven consistently that he will underperform against bigger power forwards.

3. HoustonLiftoff

I know DMO is playing poorly lately but when I've seen him play he does give fits to the taller power forwards (Dirk in particular). I'm not saying he by any means shuts them down but maybe he is a good match up that the Rockets will need to exploit during this series.

4. tkrieger

tkrieger Member

How well we screen in the half court will determine whether we shoot well in the half-court..... The addition of Josh Powell might turn out to be the most-brilliant move by Daryl Morey, because Powell is a screen-a-holic.... Something this team desperately needs.

There are a lot of things we need to watch here..... TJones' jumper is more a bonus than anything else.... If he can capture rebounds after Dwight block attempts, he'll be fine.

5. basketballholic

Ummmmmm, Dirk absolutely torched both Jones and DMo this year.

6. Rockets590

Rockets590 Rookie

I've been saying it all season long. Tjones is the biggest weakness in the starting 5. He is gonna have to go up against some elite power forwards and he doesn't usually perform well defensively against them.

7. BonziWellsGOAT

My only concern is that generic two hand dunk he seems so fond of.

Spend some VC on a new dunk package breh.

8. basketballholic

OP,

If you are watching this Clipper/Warriors game, you just seen what's going to happen to Terrence Jones when we go up against the real big boys.

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

This post couldn't be more off. PF has been the weak spot on this team since the off-season. Sure, Harden and Dwight need to play big, but that assumes that other guys are doing their part. That's not to say that Jones hasn't been playing up to expectations, only that PF has been a weak link that Morey has failed to address all year long.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No one gives a crap about anyone's concerns.

Just watch the playoffs and enjoy the show.

The team is what it is, there is no changing it now.

DD

1 person likes this.
  11. jocar

jocar Member

He doesn't usually rely on his midrange to open up room for himself. I think the key for Jones is to get Dwight going early. Then, when Howard starts drawing doubles, Terrence gets his opportunities to turn it up. More worried about his defense tbh. If he could channel all his offensive powers into defense (the opposite of what Harden does) and lock down LA, he doesn't have to score anything.

12. basketballholic

Offensively this makes sense. Get Dwight off. Make Portland double down on Dwight. Then Dwight throws it up and Jones finishes. Makes perfect sense.

The problem is going to be on the other end. Jones (or Dwight) is going to be in foul trouble early.

13. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

While I agreed that PF is our weakest link, it's the coach, not Morey, who hadn't maximized the talents. Rockets have two of the league's top 10 defenders (including a multiple-DPOY). The pieces are all there...acquired by Morey! It's a huge advantage over all other teams. Use it! The only chance and the biggest x-factor to win it all is figure out how to make the TT work.

I still can't believe McHale abandoned the TT experiment after only 9 games. Even Morey had acquired Love or LMA, I am certain that it will take more than 9 games to fit them together. Dwight is most comfortable staying in the paint. Why making Dwight the 4 when Asik is more comfortable coming out of the paint?

Jones is sophomore and he is who he is, a subpar PF. Not a knock on him but he is often outmatched defensively. I just hope McHale has an extreme short leash on him for this series.

14. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

You cant have top 10 players across the board. TJ is averaging 12 points a game and snatching down 7-8 boards a game being the weakest link. In some games he will have be able to do his thing and our PG will be the weakest link. We get past the Blazers we will have to face an elite PG in Tony Parker, get past them and we will have to face either Paul or Westbrook. But lol T. Jones and the rest of our PF are the only weakest links.

Jones has played above his expectation on the board, especially with it being his 1st season starting.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

People were concerned about Horry or Chucky too, just a bunch of useless noise.

DD

16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

You could add Dmo to that list also.

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I think a lot of peoples concerns are based in trying to understand or see a way for the Rockets to win. By understanding our weaknesses, one furthers this goal. Our strengths are well known, so pinning down our weaknesses becomes the focal point in understanding the team as a whole more fully.

Through this process, people build confidence in our ability to win through understanding how we can win. And yes, what might cause us to lose as well.

18. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

If that be the case then people would talk about all of our weaknesses. Our Bench is the biggest concern of them all. In some series it will be our PG's against the elites ( Paul, and Parker). And in some series ( this one in particular) our PF will be the weakness.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Umm.... So you think what James Harden and Dwight Howard do is mitigated by what Jones does or doesn't do to the point to where the Rockets implode and become a lottery team? So if the big 2 are half stepping it would be ok if Jones or whoever the PF is can shoot 3's at 40%? I get that they need Jones to play a role, but Jones wasn't a superstar(like some on here think he HAS TO BE obviously) and didn't shoot 40% from 3 during the season, so please tell me how they ended up winning 50+ games this year, and secured home court?....

I never said the PF position wasn't the weakest in the rotation, but that's mostly because the team is stacked almost everywhere else. Superstars and all-stars don't just drop out of the sky for next to nothing. No Jones isn't the ideal PF, but almost no championship contending team in the past has had an ideal player at all 8 rotation spots.

However, my point is, is that Jones and the team have done a good job of hiding the Rockets weaknesses and taking the strengths that Jones does bring to the table to their advantage. Thats what good teams do, and thats what I would hope and expect the Rockets to do in the playoffs.

If the Rockets are going anywhere in the playoffs, its because Harden and Howard are dominant first and foremost. Everything else will be supportive to their cause in nature. Jones, Bev, Lin, D-Mo, etc. need to do the actions on the court that SUPPORT what the Rockets are trying to do for Harden and Howard. Jones is more than capable of SUPPORTING those actions on the court. That's how the Rockets are structured to operate on both ends, and I in no way think this statement "Couldn't be More Off".

If the Rockets could have got a better SUPPORTING player for the PF position this year they would have, and they absolutely tried to in their attempt to pry Millsap from the Hawks, and last Summer with LMA. Until the Rockets can pry another All-Star to join their lineup folks around here are just going to have to deal with the fact that Terrence Jones is the starting power forward on the Houston Rockets, and your just gonna have to shut your mouth and root for the freaking team to win the playoffs despite their weaknesses.

Terrence Jones has played HIS ROLE up to this point about as well if not better than expected, and people on here just can't give him any credit at all for what he's doing despite his weaknesses to support the core players. At the end of the day its going to come down to what the core players do that matters. The SUPPORT they get only helps what they do, and there is no reason to think that Jones will not bring some SUPPORT.

#119 dobro1229, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Ask any Boston fan what they thought of Rondo back in 2007 - 09. You don't know how many times my Celtics fan friends in the NE would talk about how Rondo's shooting holds the team back, and how if they would just trade for Chauncey Billups THAT would solve all their problems.

How many people here (that are old enough to remember) were secretly happy when they heard that the Rockets traded for Sean Elliott and then were disappointed when the trade was reversed? It doesn't make you a bad fan for thinking that, but boy were we wrong.

Whatever you think of Jones and D-Mo, they make Harden and Howard better by doing what they do well. Yes an all-star PF might make them even better, but the Rockets don't have the ability to get an all-star right now in April at the start of the playoffs. They tried back in February and couldn't get a deal done. However Jones and D-Mo are more than capable of helping this team in the playoffs by playing their role. So sit back, and enjoy the ride and stop b****ing.

#120 dobro1229, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014