1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Rockets start T-Will, Patterson, and Hill for the rest of the season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BetterThanEver, Jan 8, 2011.

?

Should the Rockets start T-Will, Patterson and Hill for the rest of the season?

1. No, Scola, Battier and Hayes should start until the end the season. It's "Win Now" or bust.

62 vote(s)
    36.3%
  2. Yes, T-Will, Patterson, Hill are the future. It's time to pass the torch.

109 vote(s)
    63.7%
  1. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I would love to see Patterson, Hill, and Twill over Scola, Hayes, and Battier.

It's fool's gold to be in "Win now" mode and playing the vets, since they have not been winning.

If the Rockets are going to lose many games, wouldn't it be more fun to watch Patterson and Twill instead of Scola and Battier?

The 4 game losing streak and the excitement of the young players seems to have changed many opinions in the last week.

2. Arun Sharma

Arun Sharma Member

Whats the problem with those young guys coming off the bench? They are getting their time. It's better for them to against bench players, not starters, of opponents. Plus, if there was such thing that we could predict what games we will lose then we would have used those games to make experiments. Thats not the case, we just have to go out and try to win every possible game because we are still in the race for playoffs, may be a trade will happen and we will make some noise in playoffs.

P.S: Losing to Denver and Orlando on the road, and to Miami at home is not a terrible thing. Only if we had beaten Portland then we might have been sitting at 8th spot.

3. Arun Sharma

Arun Sharma Member

Williams is not as good as people think he is. He played horrible yesterday. Good players prove on bad teams that why they need to be in good teams and he did not do that in NJ.

Hill is very raw. Patterson is good... we should give him time off the bench before Hill.

4. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

The Poll choices are pretty damn loaded...

5. VBG

VBG Member

Should we play players who might be complete busts simply because we lost to some of the best teams in the NBA and Portland?

6. PeppermintCandy

While some rookies and second-year players thrive with the "sink or swim" method, most young players develop better when given limited minutes with specific responsibilities and are surrounded by hard-working veterans and a coaching staff that knows how to teach them to play the right way. In my opinion.

7. Houston_Rockets

If you want to get rid of your vets you don´t bench them, you play them, showcase them, and trade them.

If you bench a 7M expiring Battier, you tell me who would want him??? If you bench a 8M Scola, who would want that long contract????

Don´t get me wrong, the starting 5, should be:

Hill
    Paterson
    Budinger/T.will (depending on how offensive talented the opposing SF is)
    Martin
    AB/Lowry (I don´t get in the discussion about who is better, it obviously depends on matchups, sometimes you need a bulldog, sometimes you need a shooter, glad to have both)

This is what it should be based on performances, but what people STILL DON´T UNDERSTAND, is that Rick and Morey are communicating every time, Rick knows what Morey is trying to do, he knows what players Morey has mentioned in trades, I will only ask.

Do you remember people asking why did Budinger continued to play the same amount of mins then Lee (when he was playing like a scrub)????

Do you remember Rick saying that you keep playing these guys until they get the confidence back??? And what about AB???? Did he played until he had the confidence on his ankle like Bud???

It is simple, AB was hurting his trade value, so what you do is keep him out because he had a injury not to long ago, so there is a reason to sideline him.

In Budingers case, I almost bet with you, that he started playing after he had the ankle injury, and had the exact same problem that AB had. But because he played so many games after that injury and what started as him playing bad, and developed in total lack of confidence by Bud, if Rick wanted Bud to be a long time player in Houston, he would easily sideline Bud or make him play 1 week in the d-league and gain his confidence back. But guess what, just by going to the d-league, you lower players value, just look at T.will. So he prefer playing him, even when he was CLEARLY hurting the team.

Another question, why doesn´t Jeffires play????
    Because there is no way Morey gets anything from him in return, Jeffries is still on our roster for matching salaries reason, nothing more. You ask yourself if you don´t think that Jeffries would make a much decent job on Aldridge then any our guys did.... of course he would, but there is no reason to play him, only when you are losing by 20....

(I am not bashing Bud or AB, or any player on our roster, I am not surprised with our difficulties against good competition, I simply don´t understand how so many people don´t understand why Rick only plays some players, and the ones that bash Morey, thinking that he doesn´t understand what we lack, when he said prior to the beginning of the season, that we lacked star power.

PeAcE

8. Arun Sharma

Arun Sharma Member

Exactly, why we should we intentionally bury ourselves this soon? Just hang in there before some kinda trade takes place is what I want. Hopefully healthy brooks will be back and show why he was MIP last year. If we are out of playoffs badly with 30 games to go or so then we can give these young guys more opportunities.

9. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Rox are 3-14 against teams with winning records and have already lost a key tie breaker vs Portland and are down 2-0 to Denver. Some of you guy's optimism is admirable but I see no positives to hang my hat on that a turn around is coming. We are now 3.5 games behind Portland, 4.5 considering the tie breaker, and 4.5 behind Den/NOLA for the 6th or 7th spots. GS is nipping at our heels and Memphis has already past us, heck the Clippers are only 4.5 games behind us.

If we continue to lose, what is the point of starting Scola, Battier or Hayes as they can't seem to help much. Hill has struggled no doubt, but the only way for him to improve is to play against the best. These guys need to take their lumps and learn, there is no need to showcase Scola, Battier or Hayes because EVERY team already knows what these guys can do however the Rox don't even know what Hill, PPat or T-Will can do in their offense.

Daryl has consistently said, tanking won't happen because the draft is to risky and a semi-competitive team is more attractive to FAgents then a losing team...well is this team even semi-competitive? Will a FAgent say WOW I really want to play with those scrappy Rockets?

Sorry about the rant just pissed off and frustrated because we have a created a team that NEEDS Chuck Hayes to be competitive and that should NEVER have happen.

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I don't want Hill or T-Will starting. Hill seemed to look pretty good as a PF next to Miller, he was much much better defending the power forward, and he was actually able to showcase assets like his outside shot and hoot shot in that role.

T-Will remains more of a project. It looks like Rick's using him as the backup PG while Brooks is out, and it would be phenomenal if he could actually play point, but realistically he's not an NBA point guard. He's not played point for large stretches at any time in his career, and he really needs to work on thriving within Adelman's system as a passing wing, like T-Mac used to be. So no he shouldn't be starting either.

Patterson is a guy I feel who has a lot more polish and ability than his current role is allowing him to demonstrate. Get him in with the starters, let him show off his defense and court savvy, he's gonna be a productive starter and the kind of bruising PF championship teams covet, although he will never be a superstar himself.

11. Arun Sharma

Arun Sharma Member

We relied on Yao Ming so chuck hayes was never a person we expected to make us competitive. With Yao out, we need hayes defense. Also, we are missing books. People forget that Brooks won so many games for us last season... we really need healthy him.

I bet you guys, if we start Hill, Williams, Patterson together for even 10 games, you guys will run away. These players are not like blake griffin, john wall, tyreke evans. They need far more training than just playing time to be better players. It will be better for them to get limited time right now.

12. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

So the plan was if Yao went down again, hinge the season on Chuck Hayes? Ab playing like he did last year, doesn't win any of the games we are losing. We are getting destroyed in the paint night in night out and he wouldn't effect that. He helps but isn't the answer.

I can't speak for anyone else, but if we started those young guys I'd be excited. If some of people run away so be it but those with a clear vision of this team's future would be pretty excited to see the future on display.

13. Rockets_4_life

YES!!!that would be awesome!

Trading Kevin Martin and Luis Scola for young talent and draft picks would be a must... can't have veterans like them coming off the bench...

14. Arun Sharma

Arun Sharma Member

AB coming back healthy helps in 2 ways: first we get scoring back in starters and second, Kyle lowry will be able to go all out in limited minutes and make bench better.

There is no way any team can replace a superstar like Yao Ming. Cleveland knew Lebron can go and look at them... same thing with Denver if Melo leaves. Its so hard to replace a superstar. I think we will find a temporary solution to it by trade deadline - someone who can block shots, protect paint and rebound.

I dont mind young guys developing.. but its too early for that. We can use last 20-30 games of the season for that. If we just quit right now then it will be hard to get good players in a trade. Also, these bench players are getting time they need. They will be better if they go against bench rather than go against starters of other team.

15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

in short we need to get our priorities in order. Developing our lottery picks is more important to the long term success of the team than making the playoffs this year.

16. Arun Sharma

Arun Sharma Member

Well true but development does not have to come from being in starting lineup. First they need to prove that they can be consistent and do things right - as they are taught in practices- in 10-20 minutes they are given before getting 30 minutes. If you listen Adelman's interview, he said that these guys forget the plays... they don't understand what plays other teams are running. Those are not learned only by being in starting lineup. I dont mind them getting 10-20 minutes from the bench. That's more than enough for them to prove that they deserve more time or not.

Landry did not starting lineup to develop in to a beast. He did that on bench. Its really all about the work these young guys put in practices, gym and limited time that should decide if they need to be in starting lineup or not.

17. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I'm all for giving the young guys more playing time. I'm mean lets face it, we are not contenders this year - barring any blockbuster trades. But I wouldn't throw the rookies into the deep end just yet by putting them up against the NBA starters for 30+ minutes. Plus you will be lowering your team's asset value by benching your starters. Leave the starters in but give some more PT to the youngens as training for the next couple of years.

18. Shaud

Shaud Member

If we bench Scola we might as well trade him.

19. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Nooooo, Scola/Battier/Hayes are all on my fantasy team (deep league).

20. YallMean

YallMean Member

I say yes. Start the tank mode.