1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David Letterman

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dc rock, May 16, 2015.

1. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LP0PI1IWhXE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2 people like this.
  2. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Peyton seemed kind of random?

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm guessing Dave is a Colts fan.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I DVRed it and haven't watched yet, but I get this reference. One of my all-time favorite bits.

5. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Wow...Matt Thomas has really trimmed down since then.

I always liked this one...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QMwdPGm3uIA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#45 boomboom, May 21, 2015
    Last edited: May 21, 2015
  6. ima_drummer2k

Awesome find. I remember recording this segment on my VCR. No idea where it is now.

I love their interaction with the cheerleaders. "How tall are you?" LOL...

7. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Yup. Dave is from Indiana and is a huge Colts and Pacers fan.

I haven't watched Dave much in the past 15 years or so, but when I was growing up in the late 80s to mid-90s I watched him nearly every night because we didn't have cable. I have no doubt that my sense of humor and sarcasm was molded by the dude's wit.

I think it says a lot that so many other comedians got so choked up and emotional about him retiring, you didn't see that with Leno (either time he retired). Dave pushed the envelope in the 80s for late night TV, and we have a lot more funny moments today because of it.

1 person likes this.
  8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I haven't watched Letterman regularly, probably since the mid 90's. I watched last night and that was a very appropriate way to go out. You could tell he was incredibly uncomfortable with all the accolades and was just ready for it to be over. He really wanted to give the attention to everyone else as much as possible.

Dave is a legend and Colbert has enormous shoes to fill.

9. VanityHalfBlack

I'm sad. A trip down memory lane. Foo fighters got to me. Time does fly, everlong.

1 person likes this.
  10. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Suddenly, I have a craving for toast on a stick.

11. Svpernaut

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OXlZ6edCHqI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. PhiSlammaJamma

I remember my first letterman and the thing that made me laugh and comeback was the bit where he was on top of the Empire State building and he threw a penny off it, and you here, 'Kaplunk". Poor kid. I was laughing so hard I had to watch again. Stupid pet/human Tricks is what kept bringing me back. Letterman and 21 Jump st got me through the college nights on black and white mini TV.

13. TheresTheDagger

I loved Late Night Dave.

I never liked Late Show Dave.

Won't miss it.

14. ima_drummer2k

I just read that the finale went 30 minutes over? I'll bet my DVR didn't catch the last 30 minutes. :mad:

15. Svpernaut

The last 30 minutes were the best part too. You can stream it online though.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

HAH - I recorded the next show too just in case....whew.

DD

17. Svpernaut

Foo Fighters and slide show -
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yrVjOUIoo6Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dave's final words (happened before Foo) -
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aq2AZY-qaPY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Top 10
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BBf8MyGaEk4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I don't get his appeal. I didn't get Leno's appeal either.

19. PhiSlammaJamma

Conan tribute was good and funny too. They basically went with nobody is watching me tonight and let the chaos rain.

20. cardpire

cardpire Member

Incredible, surreal experience. It's gradually sinking in that I was there to witness it. Still haven't even actually watched the last show because I was busy soaking up as much as I can and observing Dave and the stage while they were playing the highlight packages.

Notable tidbits: Dave was very solemn. Most breaks, he walked around and paced by himself.

One break, they came back from commercial, showed the clip of the stupid pet trick where the dog was supposed to "count" to 5, then he made a comment about the top 10 list, and showed the Taco Bell remote. Before the Taco Bell clip, he flubbed the first take, and said it was from 1976 instead of 1996. When alerted, he quickly asked them to start over (from the dog clip on). After the dog clip, he made a joke that you'd only get if you were in the audience: "You would think after 2 tries, the dog would get it right". Also emphasized "1996" the 2nd take, which got a laugh from the audience.

He came out after the show for one final thank you and farewell.

Paul and the band played one song that I've never heard for at least 10 minutes+ one break while they were setting up for the Foo Fighters. It's been stuck in my head since.

Julia Louis-Dreyfus is the hottest 55 year old who has ever lived. Even better looking in person. I've never thought Tina Fey was particularly attractive, but she makes her look like a troll.

I went out this morning to watch them dismantle more of the set. Nothing cool available to be taken while I was there, just enormous hunks of wood. Was still wild watching it happen, and to see recurring "cast" members out there doing their real job (Pat Farmer, Harold Larkin, a couple others). I grabbed some high-bouncing balls that were used when they dumped them off the roof. I heard stories that last night people were walking about with bushels of apparel, audience chairs (they decided to salvage the rest of those today), and pieces of the bridge backdrop.