1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Over valued Real Estate Markets: Austin No 1 and Houston No 2?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by glynch, Sep 15, 2015.

1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Not much to back up this claim, but you would hope that MarketWatch would be a bit more valid than your average Joe. No mention of oil and gas issues.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/10-most-overvalued-housing-markets-in-america-2015-09-15?

The rapidly growing Austin and Round Rock area lands in the No. 1 spot on this list with home prices a staggering 42.3% over what’s considered sustainable.

Like in Austin, home prices in the Houston area, which includes The Woodlands and Sugar Land, have risen more than 16% since early 2014 — and this oil capital also now has a problem with overvaluation. Home prices are now 25.4% over what’s considered sustainable.

2. Damion Laverne

Or how about the fact that most of the growth in Austin has been through tech?

I anticipate that prices will stabilize in ATX in a couple of years just because so much construction of "luxury" apartments and condos are going up. Only so many people that can afford them.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I can tell you, at least in The Woodlands, prices have been falling. They peaked about a year ago with houses not staying on the market for more than a week. Now, as my wife and I have been looking, houses are staying on much much longer and the prices continue to drop. Seems like it's a combination of the current state of the oil industry here and a bit of a correction. In either case, it's making things look better for me to get more of what we want in a house over the next few months. Houses I'm seeing now that are clearly overvalued will likely still be there in a couple of months at a lower price...and desperation will kick in if they want to be out before the holidays.

4. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

no San Fran (or any California or west coast cities), yet two in Tennessee and four in Texas?

I'd say there's an issue with how they're measuring this.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Feels like Houston's is overvalued to me. And they're still building new neighborhoods like crazy in the burbs.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If you could choose a free $5m house in Houston, Knoxville or San Francisco right now but have no access to it at any point, you would just be allowed to sell it in 5 years and keep the % increase in value X $100,000 - what city are you taking?

7. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

No deal.

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

houses that cost 120k in 2000 are worth 700k now in Austin. Add 20k in property taxes and you have an unsustainable market. The property tax bill cost more than the mortgage of the same house 15 years ago.

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

That doesn't really address the fundamentals here... it's supply / demand. Austin population has also grown stupendously, and in pockets gotten much wealthier. So the increases you mention above have been in areas that to date have been able to withstand the increases because of supply / demand economics.

Will tech slow down?
    Will overall economy slow down?
    Will population growth slow down?
    Will supply come on too fast?

All are valid concerns. As they are everywhere, really. If I'm a homeowner in a place like Travis Heights or near Zilker in Austin I'm more concerned, especially because the over-supply issue could really impact me, as more houses in those types of areas lease currently.

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The fundamentals is when the interest rates go up, no one will be able afford to buy these houses.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

They're just reporting CoreLogic's data/analytics. CoreLogic did have this to say about prices in Texas :

“Between 2006 and 2014, an oil and gas boom had fueled job and population growth in some markets, pushing home prices well above their sustainable levels in these markets. Since last year, geopolitical events have shifted in favor of excess oil supply, possibly exerting further downward pressure on oil prices in the next few years and impacting some of these Texas markets,” CoreLogic said.

12. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

You are correct. I thought that I had corrected the oil and gas part before sending. Tough to work and post at the same time. The perils of multi-tasking.

13. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

There is a very limited supply of land in SF (it is surrounded by water on 3 sides) and strict zoning laws about building high rise condos. SF is already has 2nd highest density population for a major city in the US behind NYC.

Houston on the other hand, has tons of land ripe for development.

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Interest rates will increase nationally. So all markets will deal with it. Relative to valuation it will hurt overvalued markets more, theoretically, but that doesn't tell us if Austin is more overvalued than somewhere else right now.

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was going to say there's no way it is more overrated than the San Francisco area.

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It's probably a good time to buy

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

except for the people from california migrating here.

18. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

End of story. This is why real estate is so, and will remain, expensive in San Francisco and NYC.

For a much better band for your buck everyone knows it's better to buy a home in a major Texas city... Or Midwest or anywhere other than the coasts and Hawaii. Austin and Houston are good because they are fairly cosmopolitan and diverse too.

19. Sajan

Sajan Member

We all know houston market is overvalued compared to 2-3 years ago...but the question is what's it going to take to bring it back down...if it ever does?

If it doesn't...at what point does people accept it as the norm?

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think prices inside the loop might stay high, but there is so much land with nothing on it even in the loop. The cities with super high real estate have no land.