1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

K.J. McDaniels

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Wibie, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Wibie

Wibie Member

K.J. McDaniels was performing very well for the Sixers and was widely considered the steal of the draft. After being traded to the Rockets he hasn't been getting lots of minutes. Do you guys think that McHale should give him more minutes? What are your thoughts on this? Let me know.;)

2. YaosDirtyStache

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Heard a theory that the Rockets are avoiding playing him to keep his value low for their own purposes. Makes sense - in a twisted sort of way....

4. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

no. Brew & Ariza can handle the minutes at the 2/3 spots well enough. Plus, if we don't play him, other teams will be reluctant to give him a big offer as a RFA this offseason, so not playing him lowers his earning potential, which will allow us to resign him for longer at a lower price tag.

Plus to top it off, it is probably too late to integrate a player into the rotation properly before the playoffs. Honestly, I think he could really help the team in terms of rebounding and defense. He is a very good rebounder and blocks a lot of shots for a wing player.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Yes. Because Rockets are running their regulars into the ground right before the playoffs. KJ is capable of providing some respite for the wings for 5-10 minutes a game as we enter the final stretch of the regular season. No one else can see that Harden is tired?

Ariza and Harden have already played a crazy amount of minutes, Rockets will rely on them even more in the postseason.

6. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

He had a 49.9 TS% and a PER of 10.8 in Philly. That's not really playing well.

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I wish he got minutes, but over who? Not worth playing him over Brewer or Ariza. Not worth taking away Harden's minutes. Too small for power forward minutes.

8. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

I agree with this one

9. koldlaser

koldlaser Member

KJ is being Morey-balled.

10. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

only when rockets are struggling i think he should be in there. he cant shoot for **** but he can slash. give him a few shots. his defense assures he'll always be a positive in limited minutes

11. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

He will play tonight.

12. thirdengine

thirdengine Member

He's not a great shooter so I don't know how well he'd fit in. Until we clinch home court, I don't want to see him outside of garbage time.

13. baubo

baubo Member

Why would the Rockets sabatoge their own chances to contend this season in order to possibly save a few million in the offseason? If McDaniels is worthy of minutes on this team, he'd be getting time. He's not worthy of minutes because he's not as good as Brewer or Terry for backup time.

Now, whether the Rockets traded for him knowing he's not good enough to get minutes, thereby allowing them to re-sign him in the offseason at a discount, that I'm sure is correct.

14. Nero

Nero Member

Welcome to Clutchfans, KJ!

15. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

No....this isn't the development league. The Rockets are in the hunt for home court advantage in the playoffs....no reason to risk that on an unproven rookie.

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Ariza and Brewer area head of him.

It's tough.

17. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

I didn't read the other comments yet but he went from the worst team to one of the best of the best teams. He seems pretty chill about it.

18. delishman

delishman Member

Just not gonna play over Brew or Ariza.

Surprised they haven't given him some play for RGV.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

They are and it is! ;-)-

KJ needs to work hard in practice and be ready. You just never know when an opportunity will arrive to show what you can do. If he consistently kills it in practice, I think McHale will use him if he has to. Like you said, two really excellent veteran players are ahead of him. I'm all for Harden playing fewer minutes and have said so in the past, but tonight was one of those nights when he was feeling it. The Pacers made some second half runs and I don't doubt that James said, "Coach, leave me in." I really don't have a problem with his minutes tonight. We really need the wins. I am worried by the two back-to-backs coming up with only a day between them, though. I'll be watching how McHale uses him during that stretch. Our schedule for the last 8 games is brutal.

20. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

long term project if they keep him but he is on a deeper team than his last and will just have to wait until he gets his turn