1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Craig Ackerman Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tofu--, Oct 7, 2008.

1. tofu--

tofu-- Member

So for the many of us that listened to the radio today to get our Rockets fix, here's a place to post your thoughts on how you thought Craig Ackerman did and how he measured up to the legendary precedent Gene and Jim have left behind.

A new era indeed. Let's hope for the best for the organization!

2. clos4life

clos4life Member

He doesn't measure up but I think he was pretty decent.

3. Untraceable

Untraceable Member

i used to love when gene talked about rafer's floaters..

4. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

too much enthusiasm for the opposing team....

5. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

He's not bad, i just miss the old low voice of Jim..or Gene..one of them had the deep voice.

6. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

The guy is in a lose lose situation. Its impossible for anyone to follow Gene & Jim's legacy. That being said, I think he has done the best job anyone can in that situation and look forward to hearing him in the future.

7. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

It would be awsome if the Rockets would bring Jim and Gene out of retirement to do one of our games in the Finals. :eek:

8. raining threes

Jim Foley was great.

I actually liked Craig better than Gene. It was easier to understand what was happening during the game

9. JayLau910

JayLau910 Member

exactly.

its okay to be excited to an extent ... but not THAT excited for each of rudy's dunks

10. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Member

Gene made even a regular season game sound like game 7 of the NBA finals.....great voice (Better than Milo...who's overrated). The Jim and Gene era retired 1 year too soon, I hate that Gene's last game had to be in Utah...he hated the Jazz. Comeback Gene..just one more year.

11. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Nothing really wrong with Ackerman per se except for the aforementioned getting crazy on opponents dunks, but just unfair to step into 2 legends shoes. Didn't know Wexler would be the color guy.

IMO Gene is up there with Johnny Most and Chick Hearns and should be HOF material. So should Jim.

12. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

he repeated the score a lot...

13. Jimes

Jimes Member

There were a couple mess ups from what I heard, but nothing huge. Stuff like saying "he blew the layup and got the foul to boot". Not as mesmerizing as Gene & Jim, but yeah like someone said, it's a tough act to follow.

14. Landlord Landry

I like Craig, he's perfect for the job.

wexler doing color is brilliant.

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'd rather have Adam and Danny do the call the game. I would rather have some young guys that love our team call it. I liked those two guys that call games for Orlando?...I forget who they are but they were funny.

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Wexler is seriously doing color?

I thought he was just doing the old ackerman job, i turned on the radio a few times and just heard ackerman.

17. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

never listen to gene and jim (dont live in the houston area) live

but i guess its similar to when chick hearn passed away--he was the lakers pbp guy on both radio and tv and he was great -the best i've ever heard in any sport.

anyways paul sunderland filled in for chick on tv and joel meyers on the radio. paul actually did a pretty good job i thought but too many la fans hated him because he was the guy who followed chick. now joel does their tv games and he isnt nearly as good imo.

this guy ackerman probably will have the same issues for a while and it will be the same for whoever follows up worrell on tv.

18. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

those dunks were pretty sick and it's the preseason so its whatever. didnt get a chance to listen to him though

19. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

"THEY HAVEN'T EVEN STARTED THE TIMECLOCK!"

20. conquistador#11

he just doesn't have a good voice,and there is nothing that can be done about that. I mean.... what if you called a sex operator, and the lady on the phone sounded like she smoked 13 packs a day? would you still find it hot?

I'm sorry but i switched over to Adrian Chavarria. I will be switching back for post game interviews and the post game feedback, which rocks!