1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

With Ronnie Brewer, How Good is the Rockets bench now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SHOKI3, Aug 23, 2013.

1. SHOKI3

SHOKI3 Member

Since the arrival of brewer!..how will our bench look like and how good is it now?
    PG=BEVERLEY/BROOKS/CANAAN
    SG=BREWER/WILLIAMS
    SF=GARCIA/CASSPI
    PF=JONES/SMITH
    C=ASIK/CAMBY :confused:

2. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

you just proved to me how you dont understand our roster..

where is Covington? and dont just cop out and say he'll get cut

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

Mediocre unless Asik can play more than 15~20mpg. Probably average to below average among contending teams.

There is only 15 roster space. And he listed 16 players.

4. Voice of Aus

5. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

I think Morey is just stock piling players/assets just in case if he gets a trade offer for a superstar than he can trade our starters. An example would be that Morey is trying to land a big third superstar that requires giving up Asik, Lin, Parsons and fillers. I think a lot of teams trying to trade superstars in February will look at that package and be willing to trade us a superstar. In that case we need to make sure we have capable backups to handle the other vacant spots. Such as, if we land a PF superstar than I think Garcia, or Caspi will step up as starter for Parsons, and Beverley, Brooks, Cannan will handle that PG spot.
    This is all hypothetical but as we all know Morey likes to prepare for all scenarios.

6. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Barring strange events, I think TJ will start over DMo, he's more NBA ready.

7. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Well our primary bench will probably be:

Beverly (above average bench player)
    Garcia (average bench player)
    Brewer/Casspi (below average bench player)
    T. Jones/Moti (wildcard)
    Asik (way above average bench player)

And you should be able to switch out several of these players with others on our roster. So overall I´d say we have about an average to a little above average bench. What we are missing is a second unit scorer/shot creator. But maybe Lin can take care of that. I´d sure like a J.R. Smith kind of player though.

But the biggest question mark is still our PF spot. We have two guys that both have the potential to be special and that both have the potential to suck. If both of them show up, that`s a huge plus for our team and of course for our bench!

8. SHOKI3

SHOKI3 Member

i didnt forget Covington i like this kid in Summer League but Smith is more Valuable player Than RC, Smith brings Bulk to the team watch last year vs the CLIPPERS?. so i dont think RC can surpass Smith on the Roster but i think rockets will send RC to the D-LEAGUE!. and his rights

9. Voice of Aus

Smith even though is a statistical jesus on offence, his role is going to be compromised due to dwight and the expected emergence from one of our PF's, his Defence, when he came on for asik was terrible for an nba centre, also Smith's value may never be as high as it currently is while he is a Rocket.

Cov gives you the higher upside, a guy who can play multiple positions at the forward spot something Morey has targeted in FA and someone who can spread the floor.

10. Merovingian

Merovingian Member

Simply better

11. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

I don't know why you are so high on Covington. Smith is a proven player and Covington is not.

To assume Smith value is at highest point is ignorant. He is only 22 and will only improve. Do you actually know how significant it was for a undrafted rookie to be around top 10 in the league in eFG%? He is a great finisher at the rim! If he develops his midrangers, he might be our answer to PF.

Among all the rookies, DMo, TJone, Royce, and Machado, Smith was a head and shoulders above ALL of them and earned himself a rotational spot. While DMo and Jones might have better trade value, Smith is the better player, who is also capable of playing PF. Why trade a better player for less value? This is so anti-Morey move. If anything, I see Jones will be on the chopping block before Smith.

1 person likes this.
  12. Chamillionaire

It`s a little bit better than when we didn`t have Brewer.

13. Voice of Aus

How is smith suppose to increase his value when minutes for the rockets is going to be so much more limited with dwight, i expect Morey to sell on Smith if any offer comes, and Cov will show he is proven when training camp comes around.

14. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

We can't retain Robert Covington's "rights" with your scenario with 15 signed players. He would have to clear waivers to go to RGV and we would NOT have his rights if another team came calling.

I love Greg Smith too but he's a goner (for a future 2nd round pick) unless there is a Asik and/or Lin trade that clears roster space.

15. Chamillionaire

I agree with pretty much everything you stated here. Great post. I thing I`d like to point out is Smith would sometimes disappear. He was a liability on defense at times and didn`t do much on the other side either. He`s 22, great. I`d rather have Jones than Smith. If we get a high 2nd rounder like we did for MM, then I`d think we`d have to consider it.

We really did sign too many wings though.

Williams
    Casspi
    Brewer
    Garcia
    Covington

I`d really like to see us keep all of em, but at what cost? Something`s gotta go down.

16. CertifiedTroll

Damn, training camp will be intense. We have a lot of talent. Will love to see who can mold their potential into a finalized product.

17. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

LOL how is he wrong and your opinion not wrong. IJS

18. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I believe we have a solid bench but hey time will tell.

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

About the same as it was before...

20. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Brewer doesn't change anything.

He's prolly getting cut anyway. Casspi's skillset is far more useful for our system.