1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

3 possible routes for Houston-Dallas high speed rail, one to be selected in 90 days

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by da1, Feb 13, 2014.

1. da1

da1 Member

2. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Green makes the most sense

3. tested911

tested911 Member

Whichever is the cheapest...

Blue would be ideal, but green and red already has the infrastructure in place?

4. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I would rather use the 1-45 corridor route...easiest to work with, and cheapest option. Once you see how successful it is, then expand other routes

5. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I agree, and it's def most cost effective to use already constructed main line rail. As long as BNSF does charge insanely for its use.

6. da1

da1 Member

Red seems more efficient

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Someone educate me: Will IAH and DFW be the endpoints?

8. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Whichever is the quickest...if Im going to Dallas, I dont really care about any of the other random cities in between...just get me to my destination as soon as possible.

9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Looks like red makes the most sense

10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

*i meant to say blue

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Whatever is the shortest time. I would definitely expect to have an Express on the timetable that makes no stops, so I would want that to get me there in the shortest possible time.

Going out of your way to get College Station a stop seems counter-intuitive to me.

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think they are stops, but downtown is the endpoint in each city I believe

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Blue looks best to me.

14. heypartner

Yeah. Dallas already has rail from downtown to DFW, so I doubt a high-speed train would go to both points. It would be downtown or DFW, but not both.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Give me green so I can drink on my way to Kyle Field at 11am, take a **** in Dallas 5pm, then be home in bed by 9.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Not to the people who would go from CS to DFW or Houston. There's a pretty huge campus there with a lot of students from both metro areas.

17. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I thought the commercial rail lines didn't want to share R.O.W with commuter trains, especially with the added traffic of fracking sand, Dakota oil trains and Wyoming coal.

But barring that, the complications of obtaining the land from farmers, dealing with 100 municipalities, lobbying from airlines and airports, the federal deficit etc etc. it seems like a pipe dream.

Also, when were working on the alignment of the Ft. Bend Tollway, one highway engineer told me to never run train and highway R.O.W.'s together because it complicates the construction of the overpass structures.

Maybe it would be smarter to just put an Airship port in each downtown
    [​IMG]

#17 Dubious, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  18. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I thought high speed rail uses a different rail gauge than current commercial trains. As long as you use the existing infrastructure, you're also simultaneously limiting the speed. The Acela line in the Northeast slows down when it runs on older track and only becomes "high speed" on select portions of the track.

Wouldn't the same happen in this case if we went with red?

19. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. heypartner

imo, that's short-sided. First, make the straight shot from Dallas to Hou. Other towns, like CS, would later have connecting trains to the High Speed one. If you don't do the straight shot now, you never will. That's what most high speed rail in other countries do.

besides, students are mainly going to use that on weekends. The business class people and tourists are first priority, imo. Why would any of them want to detour to CS?