1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you start Lowry Knowing Dragic Will Leave If You Do?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Apr 16, 2012.

?

Would you start Lowry Knowing Dragic Will Leave If You Do?

Poll closed Apr 30, 2012.
  1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. No

30 vote(s)
    78.9%
  1. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I posted this in another thread. I think starting Lowry over Dragic is the beginning of the end of Dragic. If McHale gives the starting spot back to Lowry the writing is on the wall. McHale and management think Lowry is the future. I can not think of anyway to spin that that would make Dragic believe he is our future. After trading once and never squashing future trade rumors replacing him with Lowry is the last nail on the coffin.

I am not saying it isn't the right thing to do to help us make the playoffs. I am not sure but I am sure it will have a major role on showing Dragic where he stands on this team. Knowing after he showed his best his best was still not good enough to maintain his starting role why would he want to sign withus when other teams will commit to starting him.

If they start Lowry over Dragic to end the season might as well release him now. He will never re-sign with us. What do you think?

2. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

He won't do that, Lowry is not doing that well and far from the shape he should be in.

3. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

It is interesting but so far Lowry does not seem 100% yet (plus Dragic is playing like a man possessed).

HONESTLY it doesn't matter imo. If Lowry is traded during the draft, then Goran would know that he is the man for the future. If we start Lowry and keep Lowry, he might walk.

4. Rockets_Fan15

Rockets_Fan15 Rookie

I think if McHale does start Lowry, Morey should trade Gogi and K-Mart for an all star shooting guard. I would say Monta Ellis, but he just got traded to the Bucks. After all Jennings may leave the team, trading for an up and coming PG might be a good idea. That would leave us with Lowry, Monta, Parsons, Scola, and Mamby Camby.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No, not in a million years, Morey has to think bigger picture, you privately let Dragic's agent know that he is your guy and you are going to trade Lowry.

DD

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i'm sure this happens, but i wonder how often they go through the agent instead of telling the player directly...i guess going through the agent allows teams to deny it more easily, but it's got to mean more to a player to hear it directly..

7. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

This is stupid. The answer is yes.

8. DaDakota

No that is a stupid answer, Kyle is locked into a contract for 2 more years, you have plenty of time to make ammends to him if you decide to go with him instead of Dragic, but you want Dragic to feel he is WANTED or DESIRED here more than Lowry.

Courtship 101 !

DD

9. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

why on earth would lowry ever get his starting job back as long as dragic is on the team? were we a playoff team when lowry was starting? didn't dragic playing in the month of march prove that he was the better overall PG?

if you ask me, the rockets ran like a well oiled machine the 15 games dragic started. that was the most entertaining rockets basketball i've seen in a LONG time.

10. s3ts

s3ts Member

As DD is saying...

We will focus more on the other areas where we actually have problems -- a determined scorer (*cough* KMart has to go *cough*), perhaps.

11. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

If Lowry works hard and outplays Dragic to get the starting spot back.

No problem.

12. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Show him the money and it won't matter.

13. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

This is stupid.

14. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

I actually think you guys are forgetting a large portion of this....

If Dragic is valued more than Lowry....The following is most likely to happen.

Dragic does well and demands a salary higher than we can pay
    Lowry isn't playing and isn't in rhythm so his stock falls so we get beans when we trade him.

All in all, I would share their time.

15. DaDakota

We can give Dragic whatever he wants, we have that cap room available......there is no "WE CAN'T AFFORD HIM" in this situation.

DD

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

-Lowry has not looked 100%.
    -Lowry said he most likely will not be 100% for the rest of the season and need off-season conditioning to get back to normal.

As such, I don't think there is much of a chance for him to become the starter again for the rest of the season.

Come offseason, if starting vs. not starting is the deciding factor in whether Dragic would sign back at a reasonable deal, you go ahead and tell him the starting job would be his to lose. When the next season starts, you let things play out organically and go with the rotation that give you the best chance to win games. Either Lowry or Dragic might get their feelings hurt, but if they are under contract, they likely will just deal with whatever hurt feelings they have and just play ball.

17. DaDakota

Dragic would not be stupid enough to sign unless Lowry is gone, would he?

I would expect his agent to hold off until they deal Lowry.

DD

18. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I don't know how you came to that conclusion

If he is getting the starting job why does it matter to him whether Lowry stays or goes?

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Does Dragic lack so much self esteem that he doesn't think he can beat out Lowry for a starting spot after signing back for what is likely a significantly higher salary than the MLE deal that Lowry is on?

20. DaDakota

Because this organization has a habit out of saying one thing and doing another......he has the leverage, he should use it.

He should tell them he will sign once Lowry is traded.

DD