1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Arian Foster considered leaving football after last year's back injury

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by zeeshan2, Aug 4, 2014.

1. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Just trying to emphasize the dehumanization of football players in this thread... These kids grow up thinking football is the only way for them to make it more often than not and there is a real risk of paralysis or death each time they step on the field. They are expected to play a long time and know they can be replaced in a heartbeat, oh yeah and their contracts can be ripped up and thrown in the trash pretty much whenever the team wants. Football is not a pretty industry.

And who do you think joins the Army? Its the kids that think they can make it somewhere because of it, some dont have anything else to do and they are promised an education... but in the grand scheme of things John and Bob are expandable. Yet we dont say, "Well they know the risk and they were fairly compensated." obviously they are taking a much bigger risk than football players but they will probably do just as much good for anyone.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Lack of sympathy for millionaires who play a game isn't the same as dehumanization.

Very often sports are the only way athletes can "make it" if "make it" means becoming a multi-millionaire.

There's a real risk of paralysis or death each time people get into their cars....but most people aren't paid millions to do it.

So what? If they want job security they can go work for the post office for 1/10th of the league minimum. Still not seeing a reason for sympathy.

Oh this should be good.

There are many reasons to join the military, some are the cliche "to make a better life" or "to go to college" but some just want to serve in the military out of a sense of duty to their country or because they come from a military family.

First of all, they aren't really "fairly compensated" and I don't think many people would think that.

Secondly, an NFL player is essentially just a dancing chicken up on a stage providing entertainment, the military provides security which is an actual need rather than a luxury. Without the military doing their job, there is no NFL.

Have soldiers and NFL players switch salaries and I'd bet more people would care about the dangers of football. As long as the league minimum salary is about what the median household income in America makes in a decade, you won't get much sympathy just like you don't get much sympathy about the workplace hazards of being a CEO of a fortune 500 company.

A league minimum player in 3 or 4 years makes as much or more money than the average household will make before retirement....again why would anyone care about how they don't have job security?

Ask yourself this, how many people, knowing the dangers, would gladly quit their jobs to go play in the NFL, even for just one season? I'm guessing that's most people.

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

There is a risk of death? lol, you gotta be kidding me. In the NFL, there has been one death that has ever occurred in a game...and it was due to a heart attack that took place some 50 years ago. Not related to a nasty hit or injury.

As far as paralysis, there is a greater chance that I contract HIV from a patient of mine than an NFL player does of getting paralyzed.

There have been 5 NFL players in the last like 40-50 years that have been paralyzed...and 3 of them regained enough motor control to walk again. With the improvement in technology in the NFL, we havent seen a paralyzed player in 20 years...and the odds of that happening again are very low.

4. Precision340

Precision340 Member

lol.. i'm cheering for arian to have a bounce-back year.. but yeah, dude's act is growing old.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

"Part 2". Full interview will air Tuesday at 7pm.

<script src="http://player.espn.com/player.js?pcode=1kNG061cgaoolOncv54OAO1ceO-I&width=576&height=324&externalId=espn:11759445"></script>

6. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

^^^was that Hanna Storm???

7. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

The amount of inattention Foster has gotten so far this season is just crazy. He is playing like a top 3-4 running back this season

8. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

He probably did consider this because he's likely a selfish douche. I think his wife would agree.

1 person likes this.
  9. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

How big we talkin' here? "D-cup and up" is my motto. Holla!

10. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I got flashbacks when they showed that microphone tattoo...