1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey on 790

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Oct 17, 2013.

1. dmoneybangbang

What do you guys expect him to say?

2. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

"our defense sucks, a big part of our success last year was our improved defense, we need to double down on this if we want a chance at being relevant" I mean who is he kidding with that interview? It's clear as day what the problem is, and solving it is part of his job and why he makes the big bucks. Pretending it's as simple as missed/made shots is just insulting.

3. malakas

malakas Member

exactly great post.
    Also the spurs are one of the best teams in not allowing 3pointers. No surprise we didn't hit many in this game. Esp since we don't have elite shooters in the first place.

4. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Same. But I think I'm becoming numb to it now... I don't even get worked up anymore. I guess that's good.

5. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

i expect him to say "i know my three or bust strategy is awful but its the only way i can achieve sexual pleasure with my calculator. i keep it in my crotch pocket during hte games and triggered it to vibrate everytime we shoot a 3. it feels immensely satisfying, and i wont be giving that up for anything. get used to the three ball rockets fans, i aint goin nowhurrr!"

2 people like this.
  6. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Exactly - they ran us off the 3 point line with precision, and the looks we got were not great looks. I'm resigned to the fact that this season is a complete failure and that Morey is going to need to seriously reconsider the value of coaching this offseason. Moreyball doesn't work in the absence of a system to allow it to work (see: the Warriors).

7. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Who hired the coaches?

8. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

and did morey check in on the team to see how they were doing in the summer?

i agree mostly with bmd but morey needs to be on the hotseat
    he should be given a chance to get out of this mess by next midseason
    i think he can do it and learn from his mistakes. i dont wanna get rid of him just yet. he's put together bunches of rosters that had winning records
    the warrors basically copied his 3pt offense and are making history
    give him till next mid-season

9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

no, I get this, and your previous comment as well. I just think it would take a lot of cajones to make that move, as necessary as it is. Plus I think there's gotta be some way to keep James on the floor and get him more inspired to play D. Selective benching can be effective I think, on a case-by-case situational basis; but I don't think you're ever going to see Harden benched, say, in the first or third quarter and not return to the floor again that night. Or be benched for multiple games. That's what I think of when people argue for "benching" someone. Long stretches of riding the pine.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Thibs...
    Thibs...

Thibs...

11. mollamar

mollamar Contributing Member

The coaches and players that Morey hired / drafted / traded for.

12. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

The difference is the Warriors stockpiled players who could hit the 3-pointer. Curry is one of the greatest shooters in history. Thompson is a great shooter. Iggy can hit 3's. Green can hit 3's. Barbosa can hit 3's. Barnes can hit 3's. Most of those guys can also handle the ball and make plays, so they're not one-dimensional.

Morey on the other hand seems to have a fetish for players who can't shoot or are very streaky. Brewer, Smith, Jones, Ariza, Harden, Bev, Thornton, Lawson, even Terry at his current age. None of those are pure shooters. And all of them are too damn inconsistent to implement an offense that's predicated on shooting 3-pointers or attacking the basket. Which is why we constantly see games where we jack up a bunch of 3's but only hit around 30% or less and why we have so many turnovers due to bad passes or out-of-control drives to the hoop.

And Morey's also the one who got rid of Adelman and hired McHale and has publicly downplayed the importance of coaching. So this is on him. If he wants a puppet for a coach and a system of 3's and free throws, he better damn well make sure he's got a roster good enough to succeed. Otherwise he better reevaluate his basketball philosophy.

13. dmoneybangbang

He's not kidding anyone. He's not going to throw the team, the players, the coaches under the bus on a radio interview, it's as simple as that.

Don't take Morey's radio interviews as gospel or too seriously and you won't run into the problem of view Morey as "pretending to do this and that".

It's not that I disagree with you on the ills of the team, but most GMs don't come out and say what you want to say, instead give PR sound bites.

14. dmoneybangbang

No thanks.

15. dmoneybangbang

The Warriors drafted very well during the several years where they were picking high in the lottery which is quite a few key players on their current roster.

All I'm going to say is that I disagree with that notion.

And what has Adelman done since the Rockets?

Don't forget, Les is the one that writes the checks and Les wanted to retain McHale and extend him.

It simply hasn't worked out this year for multitude of reasons as many teams have emulated 3 point shoots, points in the paint, and free throws.

16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

As the GM of the team, it's not really comforting to the fans, players, or personnel, when he acts like a complete r****d. Morey is a smart man, when we give up over a 100 pts in 3 quarters who is he trying to fool? If he can't grasp what the problem was yesterday, which was clear as day from the eye test alone, what does it say about what type of GM he is?

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/v79i9szAR6g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. MisterMister

MisterMister Member

Problem with defense is the wings play to far off the three point line.Its as if they don't trust the big's to protect the paint,Harden seems to close to the paint on every play.If this is by design,the secret is out you can get three's anytime you want.

19. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

That's fair. It's clear that he's not really giving useful information when the team sucks, only when they're doing well.

20. bmd

bmd Member

The players and coaches were fine until this year. They did not prepare properly for this season.

Everything was working great and this bad season was unforeseen. That's not on Morey. McHale and the players proved they were winners.