1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[espn]Timetable for Yao's return from injury not looking good

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Feb 26, 2007.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Timetable for Yao's return from injury not looking good
    ESPN.com news services
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2780186
    The Houston Rockets had hoped to get center Yao Ming back from injury by mid-March, but coach Jeff Van Gundy doesn't seem so hopeful, according to a published report.

"What we've seen in the brief things he's able to do with us, you get the sense he's a lot further away from playing NBA basketball than maybe the timetables would suggest," Van Gundy told the Houston Chronicle before Sunday's game at Orlando. "He does not look comfortable at all with the brace. He does not look agile. Last year, he looked on the cusp of [returning]. To me, he looks like we have problems to solve there to get him back.

"He has to wear this cumbersome brace. He feels that's a huge issue to his mobility, to his jumping, to his natural running gait. He's worrying about hurting something else because of the change to his natural running gait. There are a lot of issues I think right now. He doesn't look like he did last year when he came back."

Yao also told the paper about how wearing a brace now compares to his previous experience with the device.

"Remember two years ago when I wore the arm brace?" Yao said. "I had a lot of trouble with that and that was on my arm."

Yao broke his right leg during a loss to the Clippers on Dec. 23.

2. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

nothing new here espn picking up a story from last week and then adding on yao's new quote. yao may not feel 100% because of the brace until he is back, but hopefully come playoff time he will have adjusted to it and have it become comfortable. only seeing him on the court will tell

3. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

It's just JVG trying to prevent his team from losing their edge. The master tactician. The master of psychological artistry. If I were JVg, I would do the same thing. He wants the Rockets to play with a chip on their shoulder and not soften up thinking Yao will save them.

Yao just said last night he'll be back in 10 days. Wasn't JVG complainiing about Yao's shoes at the beginning of the season? Whatever happened to that catastrophic problem being laid out on the table by the midget? :D I trust Yao to be a lot more candid than JVG who Rosen calls a fraud :)

#3 macfan, Feb 26, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  4. vtkp99

vtkp99 Contributing Member

What does ESPN know beside Lakers & Kobe?
    I'll say Yao'll be back when we play NJN Mar. 9th

5. BlakeB

BlakeB Member

Hmm... thats terrible news (although isnt there some other topic on here about how Yao might be able to start getting minutes again as soon as 10 days from now) but you know JVG. I like the guy as our coach and think he's done a great job but he isn't exactly uplifting in his assessments... EVER.

Here's to hoping for the best though; although as long as we got him back from the playoffs its okay I suppose.

6. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

Lack of optimism might be unpleasant for the fans, but it's great for the team. It keeps them on their toes not ever feeling comfortable thinking they are great when there's always room for improvement.

You've seen talk from Tmac and others professing how great the team is. JVG wants that stopped right now.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

DING DING DING !!!

Keeping it real....

DD

8. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

I don't buy it......

Espn only covers the Lakers and Wade's Shoulder and Michelle Wie

9. Luffy1

Luffy1 Member

There's nothing to buy from espn. This is an exact copy and paste of the chron article.

10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

11. BlakeB

BlakeB Member

I don't mind JVG's un-sunny disposition, that's just the way coach is man. I'm sure it does have a way of motivating players, but it can also be a little misleading to the public sometimes. I think JVG likes to publically take the low road so if things dont work out he'll be vindicated.

Hehehe... gotta love our coach. Hell, anyone else enjoy watching his physical apperance deteriorate over the course of a season (it's fun to do with bill parcells too, he'll pack on like 35 pounds by the end of a season)? at the start of a season it looks like JVG might actually be growing some hair back, has a decent color, no bags really... by the end of the season JVG will have usually dropped 10 pounds, lost more hair, developed what looks to be black eyes, and he is inevitable pale as a ghost. Coaching will probably kill Jeff van Gundy. Preferably after we get a few titles though... you know.

12. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

STRAIGHT UP! THAT'S WHAT I THINK TOO!

13. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Remember Grant Hill, and I think even more clearly, Bill Walton.

The present team as usual is still entertaining.

Motivation or psych games with the team or opponents are fine.

If Yao is ready, that is fantastic .

Please error on the side of caution. No foolhardy attempts to come back early. Discretion is the better part of valor.

14. spydermex

spydermex Member

15. Sextuple Double

The rest of the world should worry about Wade and his shoulder. Any news on Yao will remain in Houston.

16. GMNot

GMNot Member

Forget the JVG psyche stuff... is Yao psyching himself?? :rolleyes:

When the shoe controversy came up Yao insisted the shoe wasn't the issue (even when JVG thought it was). They seem to be on the same page on this brace deal.

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Shane Battier is NOT in D-Wade's Top 5.

18. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Have you seen that brace, it looks like a cast. No wonder Yao he can't play in it. Let Yao play with a brace like Hayes played with when he came back at most not that thing they have him wearing now.

19. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I'm so glad we find this out now after the trade deadline has passed..... :mad:

20. RedRaiderRocket

I wonder if our Waco Witch Doctor also has a therapy for broken legs.