1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patterson and the Rookie PER's:

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Spacemoth, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I just checked ESPN and noticed that Patrick Patterson's finally accrued enough minutes to be counted on Hollinger's player rater ranks. Guess where he stands:

If he does his job tomorrow night he could be #2. Now I know 16's not too high (Landry was somewhere btw 18-21 his rookie year for reference), but still, who's ready to re-open the debate that Morey really did have this guy at #6 on his draft board last year?

I think with the ceiling-factor taken into account, you can easily make an argument that Wall, Cousins, Favors, and probably Monroe are still better stocks. Beyond that though? Turner, Johnson, Aminu, George, Udoh, Hayward, there are no guarantees at all. If you want to say that the rookie year is just a wash for some of these people, think about every stud player you can remember and try to see if their PER's were ever as low as that of Turner (10), Johnson (10), Aminu (10), or Udoh (9). Hayward (8) is already looking like one of those Utah "appease the fanbase" picks lol. Oh yeah, and for everyone who wanted Xavier Henry....I won't say anything, because I wanted him too lol.

2 people like this.
  2. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

2011 draft class going to be worse than 2010? Sad ...

3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Wow, nice find. I really like Patterson, I think he has a good future in the league!

1 person likes this.
  4. dje243

dje243 Member

I hope PPat notices that. Though its shameful that all the other guys around that range get WAY more minutes. He should get plenty of time tomorrow in PHO wiht scola probably out.

5. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

You forgot Davis as high upside guy. That makes a total of 5 guys over Pat.

6. jogo

jogo Member

I like what Patterson brings to the team. But his rebounding rate is pretty bad. If he doesn't improve the rebounding then he'll probably never be a starter on a good team. This seems a bit similar to Landry in that regard.

7. CXbby

CXbby Member

Patterson SUX. Morey is the SUXOR at drafting. Where is Whitesides on that list. Now there's some upside I can hang my hat on. Whiteside upside your head.

DISCLAIMER:

Not a believer in $ball.

Blame Morey. Not Anyman.

Save a horse. Ride a squid.

Oops upside your head.

3 people like this.
  8. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

If PPat starts tonight, he drops 20 and pulls down 8. I said it first. He is due a break out performance.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Only defensive rebounding. He is a good offensive rebounder. Defensive rebounding and FT shooting are two things that I believe the coaches can improve that will make him a good starter.

Landry also started as a decent to good rebounder if I remember correctly, but his game really depends on athletism which he lost a little of while in the NBA.

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Damn, had to look this up. You're right: Landry was 21.4 his rookie year on 17mpg. Must be all about 60%+ FG%, because he wasn't much on assists, steals, blocks. But as I look, he did pull down 5 rebounds on just 17mpg. So, I guess that would look good to a PER calculator.

11. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Barring injury, Patterson is going to be a productive pro for a long-time.

12. delishman

delishman Member

I lol'd.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Among other things, it seems.

14. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

Landry was phenomenal in his rookie year.

15. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

and 3 years older than Patterson

1 person likes this.
  16. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

he hasn't developed NBA low post move yet. at least he hasn't showed this type skill set yet. other than that, he is very impressive as a rookie.

17. Coriolis

Coriolis Member

Except he's already had his break out (ish). He dropped 20 and 5 boards on the Pistons in Feb.

18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i wanted xavier henry. :grin: won't be the last time i'm wrong.

19. verse

verse Contributing Member

While I am sure you meant no offense by your statement, I have to voice my growing displeasure over people being referred to as "stocks" or "chips". As an African-American, it is particularly unnerving, since we were thought of as chattel and stock generations ago. As a basketball fan, it is disconcerting because these are my favorite players on my favorite team, not some fantasy league list of names getting wheeled and dealed about by weekend warriors trying to win a $200 pot.

20. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Relax