1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Muhammad Ali placed on life support

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by adoo, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I hope he pulls through. I was lucky enough to see several of his fights on TV, and to listen to a few on the radio. I'll never forget watching "The Fight of the Century" between Ali and Fraizer on March 8, 1971. It was the night my girlfriend and I arrived in Venice. Pure luck. The family and the guests at the pensione I'd found off an ally, in the middle of the night, crowded in front of the TV in living room getting ready to watch the fight, carafes of red wine and plates of cheese being passed around. We got comfortable on the floor and they introduced the fighters. I couldn't believe it. Ali was tremendous, as was Frazier. 15 rounds of boxing at the highest level of the craft, in my humble opinion. Beautiful and brutal, all at the same time. I loved it. As Cassius Clay or Mohammad Ali, he truly was the greatest heavyweight to ever get in the ring. I'll always believe that.

2. Nook

Nook Member

Very tough one to take.

Giant a giant in the sports world and culture.

Was a perfect representation of America, as American as you could get.

Unbelievable success in a brutal sport huge at the time, fighting as American, against Americans at the same time and standing up for what he believed in.

Just an American original and an amazing life and product of the wonderfully changing chaotic world he lived in.

RIP to a massive figure

1 person likes this.
  3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm really saddened by this. He was such a legend. He really was the greatest. He was amazing in the ring and everything else that he did.

One could go on for ages just about the gifts he had as a boxer, and that would only be half the amazing things he did and stood for in his life.

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I really don't understand how you can't understand context and nuance of the time.

Of course there were prominent black separatist because after hundreds of years of being treated as lesser people the thought became. "We're never going to be accepted, maybe we should have our own corner or just get out of here." I hate this silly idea that I don't know it just came out of nowhere! Black people were treated marvelously around that time! Why would any black person be angry?

I bet you are the same person that says about Andrew Jackson "Just a product of his time." too right?

Jack Cashill is one of those conservatives that just couldn't understand why black people were so angry then, just like you are.

Jack doesn't know **** about what Ali lived through.

5. Granville

Granville Member

He was a smack talker that was able to back up what he said. The guy had as much charisma as he did skill. Won't ever be another boxer or human being like Muhammad Ali. The guy was larger than life and stood by his beliefs. God bless you sir, may you rest in peace.

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Malcolm X and MLK opposed The Nation of Islam

I do sympathize with Ali being extremely young and a product of his times and circumstances.

What I object to is his deification and celebration of these actions.

I mean, he was the literal poster child for the group that assassinated Malcolm X.

7. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

How old are you? Wow. I hope to be as level headed as you are from where Im at if that's at all possible.

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You seem very obsessed with this even when as you point out he repudiated that part of his past. Muhammad Ali had a long life with a lot of things that happened in it. I admired him for being a fighter both in the ring and out of the ring. I especially admire him for his fight with Parkinson after he left the ring.

There was much more to Ali than that he was just a member of the Nation of Islam.

9. Exiled

Exiled Member

The closest thing I've seen live to Mohammed Ali is George Forman grill . But those M.Ali moment preserved on YouTube are truly magnificent

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I watched the Kennedy/Nixon debate on TV in 1960 and remember it very well, if that gives you a clue. Kennedy was as cool as a cucumber. Nixon was sweating like Patrick Ewing in the '94 championship series. Many people listening on the radio thought Nixon might have won that debate. On TV? It was a disaster for him.