1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Draft Grades

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Apr 30, 2016.

?

How do you grade the 2016 Texans draft?

1. A+

7.6%
  2. A

14.1%
  3. A-

19.6%
  4. B+

30.4%
  5. B

16.8%
  6. B-

5.4%
  7. C+

3.3%
  8. C

0.5%
  9. C-

0.5%
  10. D

1.6%
  1. Nimo

Nimo Member

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/04/30/draft-2016-nfl-draft-grades-for-all-32-teams/

Houston Texans, C+
    1 (21) (from Washington) Will Fuller, WR, Notre Dame
    2 (50) (from Atlanta) Nick Martin, C, Notre Dame
    3 (85) Braxton Miller, WR, Ohio State
    4 (119) Tyler Ervin, RB, San Jose State
    5 (159) KJ Dillon, S, West Virginia
    5 (166) (from New England) D.J. Reader, DT, Clemson

Day 1: Houston jumped up to take Fuller, one of the best deep threats in the entire draft. His 4.32 speed shows up on the field, and over 50 percent of his yards came on deep passes, so whether or not he can become a viable all-around receiving threat is the big question with him. He ranked No. 116 and 113 in the nation in drop rate the last two years, so it’s boom-or-bust with Fuller on a week-to-week basis.

Day 2: Houston filled a major hole at center with Martin, who is a good zone blocker who run-block grade ranked fifth in the class. He only gave up five hurries all of last season, good for a pass-blocking efficiency of 99.2 that ranked second in the class. Miller is an intriguing third-round pick, as he’s dangerous with the ball in his hands (he forced eight missed tackles on just 28 catches) but has a lot of work to do as a route-runner.

Day 3: Ervin is a solid change-of-pace back that ranked second in the class with a +5.3 receiving grade. Reader has intriguing interior lineman as he has massive size and he had a monster +4.0 grade in the National Championship against Alabama.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/04/30/nfl-draft-grades-teams-winners-losers-picks-analysis

Houston Texans: B

First pick: Will Fuller, WR, Notre Dame (No. 21)

Other notable picks: Nick Martin G/C, Notre Dame (50); Braxton Miller, WR, Ohio State (85); K.J. Dillon, S, West Virginia (159)

One thing is for certain: The Texans are much, much faster than they were before the draft began on Thursday. Fuller is an absolute burner. He is not nearly as complete a receiver as Josh Doctson or Laquon Treadwell or Sterling Shepard—all picked after him—but will provide a deep threat Houston sorely lacked. Miller also will keep secondaries on their toes, especially if the Texans find ways to move him around in the formation. Ervin is a third-down back and special teams contributor who brings even more quickness to the table. Martin should be Brock Osweiler’s starting center for years to come, and he wasn’t that far removed in talent from Ryan Kelly, the Alabama center who went in Round 1. Both fifth-round picks, S K.J. Dillon and DT D.J. Reader, are excellent depth options. Houston may regret not finding even more help for its front seven, though. ​—CB

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-grades-picks-class-analysis-rounds/83771600/

Houston Texans

Grade: B+

Analysis: Houston is clearly trying to do everything it can to help new starting quarterback Brock Osweiler. Notre Dame WR Will Fuller should stretch the field working opposite DeAndre Hopkins. But two of the best picks might end up being interior OL Nick Martin, who has an NFL pedigree as the brother of Cowboys OL Zack Martin, and WR Braxton Miller, who doesn’t appear close to reaching his potential yet at that new position

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/p...umbs-down-for-each-teams-2016-nfl-draft-class

Houston Texans

Thumbs up. After signing quarterback Brock Osweiler, the Texans’ biggest remaining need was offensive speed. They started with Will Fuller, the fastest receiver at the combine. Third-round pick Braxton Miller didn’t blow anyone away with his combine 40-yard dash, but his functional speed on the field can’t be denied. Fourth-round pick Tyler Ervin is fast, too, with a 4.41 40-yard dash and quick times in other agility drills. A lack of speed hurt the Texans offense last season, and that shouldn’t happen again with additions from this draft class and free agency. -- Tania Ganguli |

How do you grade the draft so far?

2. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I'm giving Rick an A. Landed multiple game changers at wr, possibly Lamar Miller's backup, he upgraded the o-line, and got depth at DT. On paper it's beautiful IMO. Probably the flashiest draft in Texans history.

3. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Give it a A- very impressed with what we did. Definitely seems like BOB had a lot of say in this draft

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

I know it's too early to grade a draft but I think it will turn out to be a great draft; only head scratchers for me were fuller and Ervin.

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Solid A.

Docked them a bit for the Ervin pick as I feel it was a slight reach, and wanted Booker instead. I realize they were going for speed, but I feel like Booker will be a star in Denver in two years.

The rest of the draft was perfect, to be honest. Best draft I can remember, on paper, in franchise history.

6. Chamillionaire

Yeah Me too. Wanted Booker. More speed.

7. what

what Member

Well one things for sure the titans better hope that they can somehow contain fuller-hopkins. That's a sick combo there.

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Speed will also help our special teams.

9. conquistador#11

B+ really surprised they took so many receivers. Revamped.

wish we would have invested on a safety to pair up with Hal, but they really like Lonnie Ballentine. I'm just not sure the Injury Report likes lonnie.

10. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

I have no idea about any of these players so I won't pretend like I know what I am talking about lol. The only one I know is Braxton Miller.

My real question is WTH is that espn article? They gave a thumbs up on every team but San Fran.

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

And the raiders

12. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

It's the designated local reporters, who have to be optimistic else the teams ask for a replacement.

13. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

I couldn't believe it when they bypassed Booker and Dixon.
    Just goes to show they had tunnel vision in this draft and stuck to the plan to get pure speed for this team.

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I think they'll regret it

16. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Impossible to grade right now, but I do think we filled a number of holes. As with most, the only head scratching decision was Ervin. Billings, Bush, & Oneymata were all still on the board and filled a much bigger need than 3rd String RB.

17. justtxyank

I love Tyler Ervin the player and am glad he is a Texan, but at the same time I think both booker and Dixon are more in line with what we needed. I hope Miller can really be a feature back

18. justtxyank

4/6 of the guys they took are guys I took for them in the draft game pretty consitently so that makes me happy.

Won't bother with an overall grade, but I can see value to every player they took. The one I like the least is the first round pick, but Rick is normally money there and bob loves the kid so I'll give them benefit of the doubt.

19. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

A-

Loved that we went mostly offense.

20. Progs

Progs Member

Tyler Ervin was taken for Special Teams purposes. He will return kicks and punt returns. I hope the Texans have created mismatches on offense where a team in the future will try to do what the Texans just did, draft nothing but speed with TALENT!

As far as the UDFAS go, I'm excited about the PK from UCLA. He is clearly the 2nd rank kicker and won the Lou Garza Award as the top college kicker or punter. Very strong leg and extremely accurate 40 yards in.