1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Degree/Major Help.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mehdi, Aug 29, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

Hello everyone..ok so i just began my first full year in college and was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions they could make about what type of major/career would be something i could look into...i have thought about going into dentistry but i am not 100%...any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. WildSweet&Cool

Allow me to suggest one of the following:

Medical

Legal

Financial

If you get your career in any of those three, and begin a career in those three, the chances of you having financial success are MUCH higher than with any other degree.

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Are you persian? Mehdi is an Iranian name. If so, you have no choice but to be a doctor or engineer. :D

On a serious note, I took the dentistry route and I there are no regrets thus far.

Average work week 32 hours.
    You have complete control of your schedule, other than a few emergencies...if you dont feel like working a given week, dont schedule patients...its simple.
    A nice little pay check at the end of the day as well.

If you want to do dentistry, there isnt a specific major you have to choose. Just take the regular pre-med classes: Gen. chem., Orgo, bio, physics, etc... and take a few additional upper level biology courses, such as cell biology, microbiology, anatomy.

I would suggest choosing a major outside of the sciences. For one, it will help your gpa and wont be as time consuming as a science major. Secondly, you'll be doing sciences for the rest of your life, so you may as well take advantage and learn something new. I decided to major in economics...had a great time doing it and when I applied to dental school, many schools saw that as a plus, given that I had also taken the proper sciences courses.

Any questions about dentistry, just let me know. Good luck.

4. Cesar^Geronimo

follow your heart not dollars

what could you see yourself doing everyday for the rest of your life

After 20yrs in the business world, I am 42 and going back to school for human services. I work part-time(every other weekend) at a crisis nursery for kids 0-6 in crisis situations ---- I would love to run that program when I'm done w/ my degree.

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

:eek:

What does that mean?

:D

6. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

parents would say do a job where you would get the most money, because you'll be happier outside of the job
    i'd say do a job where you'd be happy doing it. why do a job that makes you miserable!

7. WildSweet&Cool

One can actually do a compromise.

For example, if you love sports, you could get a medical degree and get into sports medicine. Or become a legal rep for a sports organization or individual.

I believe that the three degrees I listed can build a strong path to financial success, but can be flexible enough to facilitate fields which may cater to specific tastes.

8. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

i would go finance maybe b/c i'm going to be accountant in about 1 1/2 years.

9. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

gotta watch out for sports medicine though..it is usually the most popular major because people dont know what to choose and just go with it because they like sports, turning out that theres no jobs unless you want to be a high school trainer or something =/

10. Cesar^Geronimo

I agree -- you said what I was trying to say much better.

My 20 years in IT has positioned me financially (retirement savings, nice house almost paid off) to be able to think about the move I want to make. The director of the crisis nursery makes a little less than 1/3 of what I currently make - but with no house payment, being content with cheap cars, and retirement savings I can live on that.

11. WildSweet&Cool

True, but consider this....

Cesar^Geronimo posted the advice of "follow your heart not dollars"

If his heart leads him to sports, that's a tough career track in almost any way you slice it. If he gets a medical, legal, or financial degree and then tries to enter a career in the sports industry, if he doesn't get a job, at least he has a beneficial degree to fall back on.

(and I was using sports as just one example)

12. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

Awesome sounds great thanks alot...and yes i am haha :p

and thanks everyone else for the suggestions great appreciated = )

13. WildSweet&Cool

... but don't blame me when you fail.

14. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Spoken like a true guidance counselor.

15. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Not at least attempting an engineering degree is admitting you aren't smart enough.

16. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

WERD.

17. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

I would suggest you take the core courses first and that will give you time to wonder what you want to get into. I took my core courses for first two years then I had already decided what I wanted to major in. It's less painful if you take the major classes and core courses at the same time then decided you don't want to take that major anymore.

18. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Maybe you should have gone with the English degree...

:)

19. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Engineers have a different set of skills than people with other majors. Just because you are good with math and other engineering related subjects doesn't make you automatically smart in every other discipline.

I could easily say that engineers have no business sense and wouldn't make it in the business field. Or engineers aren't good with the written word, and wouldn't make a good lawyer. Or engineers aren't good with dealing with people and wouldn't make good doctors.

Get the point?

20. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

my ex is a civil engineer and i have no idea how he got the degree...not exactly the sharpest tool in the toolbox.

the motto, we can be ANYONE that we want to be without having to be THAT SMART. =)