1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jared Sullinger

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by jogo, Apr 21, 2012.

1. jogo

jogo Member

He's the guy I'd go for if we can trade into the 6-9 spot. Lowry + our later pick for Sullinger (if Dragic signs with us) seems possible. He's a model of consistency, statwise. Rebounds well, great low post game. Hard to know how good he is defensively. Only 20. Played for a premier program and was their go-to player. Didn't play great against KU in their last game. Doesn't block enough shots. At 6'10" in shoes is he tall enough to play center? If not, would PF work? He would give us a low post scorer, something we haven't had since Scola was better a few years ago. Sully looks more promising to me in that range than Barnes/Lilliard/P.Jones.

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Sullinger isn't worth lowry. I used to be high on him but after watching him closer its clear he only scores off of muscling everybody out of his way in the paint, not much skill required (he does have a decent hook shot though). Now if this transitions into the nba he could be a poor mans all jefferson, but if it doesn't he won't be very useful for much except a career backup.

3. acshen

acshen Contributing Member

I think he has some of the best star potential in the draft, only behind Thomas Robinson and Davis.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think you used the wrong comparison from the Jazz. Millsap seems more valid.

While it'd be nice to have more, if you could trade Lowry for Millsap I think you'd do that in a heartbeat. Especially if you were confident you were going to resign Dragic.

even if you preferred the Jefferson comparison, I would also trade Lowry for Jefferson.

It's nice and all to want to find the next Paul Pierce or Dwade all-star/HOF outside of the top 5, but more often than not you get Jordan Hill or Jason Thompson.

It would be a disservice to play him at center, but I think he has a lot of NBA potential. A lot. It's not outside the realm of possibility he gets a little fitter and has Kevin Love potential.

5. jogo

jogo Member

Why can't he play center? He's 6'10" 265-280lbs. He's listed as a center on most draft sites so I assumed that would work. But maybe not, and if so, why not?

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Please, spoiler tag. What is seen cannot be unseen. This picture is not safe for anything.

8. Mariachi ROCKET

Throw up taste in my mouth^^

Only if he can hit three's, that would be awesome. But hopefully D-Mo can take that roll, to spread the floor and hit those left handed jumpers.

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Because you couldn't slide a Waco telephone book under his vertical leap.

Actually, he'd play some center. A bruising no-jump center, a taller Chuck Hayes (well, if he were a taller Chuck, I'd draft him in a heartbeat).

10. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

He is a taller Chuck Hayes with Hayes' low center of gravity with the addition of an elite offensive skillset. He has Scola's post-up skills in a bigger, stronger body with shooting range extending out to the 3-point line.

I don't know if Jared is going to play C or PF. I suspect it really doesn't matter. I am convinced he's gonna be a holy terror for his opponents to defend.

The big question about Jared is his defensive ability and how do you maximize his offensive talent with another big on the floor to help defend the paint. The big question is what other big could you put out there with him that would complement him best? Personally, I think a guy like Pau would be ideal next to him, a big that is very long, can defend in the blocks, guard the rim, and offensively can step outside to let Jared operate down low, while being an effective high-post passer/shooter with the ability to flip high post to low post exchanging out with Jared as the defense adjusts. Jared needs a real long big with good paint defensive skills and the ability to step outside as well......Pau, Duncan, Garnett. You put Jared on the floor with one of those guys and decenter perimeter players that can shoot the 3, spread the floor, and finish when necessary and I think Jared goes nuts.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He is the guy I hope the Rockets can trade up for. Sullinger is a big dude and should become a good low post option from day one. I think he'll have to be a center in the NBA as I don't know if he has the speed for NBA PFs.

12. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I've never been a big Sully fan, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of taking him

13. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I'd be happy to trade up for him or trade up for him and trade him to Orlando.

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I like Sullinger, but i just see many pro center just shooting over him or going around him. He looked slow in his last game. Good footwork, just slow and predictable. He would have to get down to about 250, but he would still be at a height disadvantage.

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

It would be better to just wait and draft Royce White.

16. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

17. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Impressive booty. Unimpressive Oden.

18. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

He bangs into people as he shoots. He will be a free throw shooting maching in the NBA. He kind of reminds me a bit of Moses Malone the way he scores in the post. Not in how good he is but just in the way he scores. Moses would bang into whoever was guarding him as he scored the basket. That's what I see when I watch Sullinger on the offensive end in the post. At 6'9" tall and 280 lbs he clearly has the bulk to play like that. Other centers will not be able to dislodge him form the post thats for sure. He also reminds me a little of Chuck Hayes. He has the same body style as Chuck but 3 or 4 inches taller. He plays good position defense but lacks athletisism to play above the rim and block a lot of shots. He is a great rebounder at the college level but it remains to be seen how much his lack of athletisism will limit him there. At this point he would not be my first choice but I would be happy to get him on the team.

I see nothing in Sullinger's game that reminds me of Al Jefferson.

19. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I agree with everything except the part about playing him at center. I think Sullinger is a center period. His game is built on power not speed. He is a true banger that can step away from the basket and knock down the outside shot but still a banger. While a couple of more inches would be nice I think he is clearly built for the 5 spot.

20. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

Cousins can barely jump and he is really good.