1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update: Lockout Edition

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Jul 11, 2011.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

2. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Good stuff, Bima. Thanks!

The "Lockout Edition" title pretty much sums up the overall sentiment. Very depressing.

3. dreamshake97

dreamshake97 Member

question: if the rockets can't offer more than 8.5 a year to NeNe, then how in the world could the Mavs(who have way more under contract) afford to offer Chandler a bigger contract?? are u assuming in your numbers that Les won't go over the salary cap or are u assuming there is a hard cap?? because if their is a hard cap then Dallas won't be able to off chandler anything because they are in like the 70's for payroll i believe??

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Bima's article is assuming the old rules/CBA were extended. In that scenario, the Mavs would be able to offer Chandler the most money because he's their free agent and they hold his Bird rights. They couldn't do that for Nene.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q26

5. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

if the lockout extended past this date, would that nullify the trade exception?

6. Pete the Cheat

was Chandler Parson's not included in the calcs because 2nd rounders aren't guaranteed contracts?
    Should we assume we retain his rights, but no holds against the cap?

7. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

from what I remember, this is correct

I dont recall seeing an article talking about signing Chandler, and 2nd round picks are not guaranteed a contract just by being drafted.

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Signing a FA 5 this season appears to be a long shot. Doing a sign-n-trade for Marc Gasol or DeAndre Jordan might be more of a possibility, but the Rockets would have to wildly overpay to get Grizzlies or Clippers to not do a straight match and opt for a sign-n-trade.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I count 11 guys.

10. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Dammit! Yeah, I cut and pasted that from the last update but forgot to change the number after adding Dragic and Budinger.

Good catch. Clutch, if you see this, please make that change. Thanks!

11. DaneB

DaneB Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=FreeAgents-11-12

Sounds great to wait until 2012 offseason! Dwight Howard, Kevin Love, Chris Paul and Steve Nash are amongst the free agents to be available! If we could pick up one of these guys, our team would finally be back in the mix. That is assuming that the player doesn't get injured as often as TMac or Yao. Knock on wood!

12. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

An almost 40 year-old Nash? I'll pass on him.

1 person likes this.
  13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Excellent read, Bima, as usual. You make a strong case for the Rocks throwing in the record dumpster what we end up with as a season after the lockout ends, if it ends, and going "all in" in 2012 with the cap room and our lottery protected 1st round pick. Keeping Chuck, in that scenario, is the balm for suffering through a likely tank job in 2011, along with tossing the young guys out there and seeing what they can do. Yeah, we should tank for a top pick, ala the Spurs back in the day. McHale looks like the perfect hire if Morey wants to lose a lot of games prior to 2012. In that respect, McHale makes sense, because some of us can't see the sense in getting him if we want to win.

14. CXbby

CXbby Member

I don't think any 2012 FA would be interested, if there was any chance of them being interested in the first place, in a team fresh off of a 2011 tank job.

IF free agency is the route this team chooses to go in, which I have questions whether that is the best route, then I think we would have a much better shot at attracting these guys by winning as much as possible next year, making the playoffs, going as far as possible in the playoffs, and painting them a picture that they are "the one" missing piece to put us over the top.

Dwight Howard already has relationships with both Courtney Lee and Hakeem Olajuwon. If we could win 50 games next year(or the shortened equivalent) with a nice post season run, and can add him without losing any key pieces, that might be enough to sell him on it. Maybe maybe no? One thing is for sure, he is definitely not joining a 20 win team.

1 person likes this.
  15. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

I'm thinking the over under should be 52 wins next year. Then we can talk about signing Howard with our ~16 mil in space. (we will keep Chuck)

16. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Nice write up! Always pay attention to Bima's posts, he knows his stuff!

17. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Thanks for the compliments, folks. Just doing my part.

For those thinking about "tanking" the 2011-12 season, that's not exactly what I had in mind in my article. I was referring to "not spending a lot on outside free agents." That is all. The team should (and will) still try like hell to win basketball games. I think TRADE avenues will be pursued MUCH more heavily than free agents over the next 11+ months.

If the Rockets bring back Chuck, you're looking at a 43-win team that also has the following going for it:

--Another year of improvement for Lowry and all the young pups;
    --The addition of Marcus Morris; and
    --A front office that will be killing itself to make a significant roster upgrade via trade.

Those factors add up to anything but a "tank job" by this Rockets team.

They may not make the playoffs again next season. But it won't be for lack of trying.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Not feeling so thuggish now, are we? :)

1 person likes this.
  19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If they institute a hard cap, then it will probably higher than the current salary cap, and we would probably have max contract size cap space this year.

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Not that I disagree with the 2012 approach - especially given the fact that more lotto picks for next years draft has to be a good thing...

BUT, he we really see the impact of the T-Will and Thabeet trade. That $8.5 of cap space almost doubles without those guys on the payroll. Hindsight is always 20/20, and the Battier trade did, indirectly, lead to the DMo draft pickup, but it sure woudl be ncie to actually be able to offer a contract to Marc Gasol or Nene... IF the Rockets thought that it made some sense to do so.

Oh well, perhaps the trades effectively are forcing their hand, preventing them from doing so, pushing back they cap space year to the better year anyway, and allowing them to add another lotto pick or two in a deep draft.