1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Pure ownage] Mad Max Fury Road (2015) Straight Carnage!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VanityHalfBlack, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Buck Turgidson

Rockets about to go straight Max on these punks

[​IMG]

2. Rocketfanatic2

Am I the only one here that really just didn't enjoy this movie at all? Went and saw it with 5 buddies and none of us would've rated it anywhere near the ratings it has been getting on IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes. I guess it truly is one of those "love it or hate it" things. Certainly felt like a waste of money to me. Perhaps I need to see it again before completely writing it off.

3. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

What exactly did you not like? You didn't actually critique the movie in any way.

Were you expecting it to be something other than what it was? I mean, the marketing campaign was pretty clear about it being a non-stop balls-to-the-wall action movie / chase scene.

4. Rocketfanatic2

Touche. That is what I was expecting going in, just expected more out of it. No character development for anyone which made me really indifferent as to what happened to any of them. Furiosa finally had some scenes for her in the middle there but still not enough to develop a character in my opinion. For me, all the action in the world can't make up for the complete lack of a story that I felt existed here. Dialogue was near nonexistent which I get why they didn't want to put a focus on it, but man you gotta give us something.

Didn't even feel like this was Max's story either. Furiosa had a more central role. I love Tom Hardy as an actor but he wasn't given near enough to work with in this role. He grunts for the first 45 minutes of the film, remains silent for most of the next hour, then finally says something remotely important when they decide to turn back around.

Don't get me wrong, some great action and stunt scenes in there, but that can't be ALL it has (see: Transformers)

5. Buck Turgidson

Yes. Well, I don't know, maybe not, there may be other people around here who are also wrong. ;)

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm right there with you and maybe it was because I had too high of expectations. IMO it was nothing more than a big budget version of a low budget collection of action sequences loosely tied together and thrown up on the screen. Basically an expensive B movie.

I plan on giving it a second watch at some point before writing it off myself, but I'm not certain I'll sit through the whole thing unless I see it in a different light than I saw it the first time.

7. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Whatever. I liked it a lot.

It was supposed to entertain you thoroughly and that's what it did for me.

8. VanityHalfBlack

Besides the comic book stuff this year, I can't think of another Action movie that kicked my ass as much as Fury Road. Liam Neeson movies can't hold a candle to FUry Road.

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I loved it, but I will say I'm surprised at the universal love for it. Didn't seem like a movie that nearly every critic and audience member would equally enjoy. Glad it did, though!

10. myco

myco Contributing Member

Comparisons to Transformers are way, way off base

11. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

The tone seems pretty on par with the other Mad Max movies though. It's always felt like the world and the action have driven the stories. The character himself has always been one of few words.

And honestly, it's what Hardy doesn't say that resonates the most, like his thumbs up to one of the wives. For a man that doesn't say hardly anything at all, you can still gain great insight to his character. I think the movie would have been made worse had he more dialogue. It just wasn't necessary to understand him and his motivations.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed, Transformers had much more by way of plot.

1 person likes this.
  13. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I fell asleep through Transformers. Same tired CGI special effects that leave me yawning after it was over. Mad Max was certainly unique and something I never have seen before.

It's certainly not for everyone though which is why I'm surprised that it scored so high on rottentomatoes.

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Just got out of seeing it, and it's a rare movie that I enjoyed a lot more on a 2nd viewing. Not sure why. Probably understood the story and dialogue a little better, but really glad I saw it again, and I liked it a ton the first time.

15. Buck Turgidson

Stick finger in eyesocket, then just walk away.

Laughable.

16. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I do admit that I have not seen any previous Mad Max films.

It seems that the females in my life disliked the movie, however my buddies and I thoroughly enjoyed it! It had random scenes in which I felt guilty for laughing, but it was just so over the top I couldn't help it! (which made it awesome in my book!) I have a very dark and weird sense of humor, so for me to enjoy and laugh at this movie the way I did means it was an outstanding film! I do wonder if Furiosa had any significance in prior Mad Max films that would have explained some of the story/backlog/characters in this film? But anywho:

9/10

17. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Anyone else think this movie is a lot like the game Borderlands? Same over the top action, dark humor, and crazy characters as well as fairly similar settings.

18. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

Amazing movie

action from the start and very little talking

9/10

19. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

There were no character development in any other mad max. Dude is just wandering in the wasteland

20. Zergling

Zergling Member

Every movie is basically standalone besides Max, so Furiosa and any of the other characters had no connection to any of the other movies.

If another one is made, it will once again be Max and a completely different set of characters. But let's see, Furiosa will be considered a fan favorite so she might make an appearance

1 person likes this.