1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Baylor University Sexual Assault Scandal Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Brando2101, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Briles is garbage.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/sports/college...or-coach-Art-Briles-broke-promise-8313696.php

3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

The Big 12 will issue an official statement on the scandal tomorrow.

4. Buck Turgidson

Given the conference's long-standing reputation for competence, I expect their statement to be strong and not in any way nebulous or contradictory.

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Art Briles was a no-show for an arranged apology for Baylor rape victim Jasmin Hernandez <a href="https://t.co/GSIKOFLDeh">https://t.co/GSIKOFLDeh</a> <a href="https://t.co/jkL9QZPFBC">pic.twitter.com/jkL9QZPFBC</a></p>&mdash; Sports Illustrated (@SInow) <a href="https://twitter.com/SInow/status/745006838538772480">June 20, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Attorneys say former <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Baylor?src=hash">#Baylor</a> coach Art Briles betrayed rape victim by not following through on promise to apologize: <a href="https://t.co/XCr6gUgwiA">https://t.co/XCr6gUgwiA</a></p>&mdash; Cassie L. Smith (@SmithCassie) <a href="https://twitter.com/SmithCassie/status/745313634864095238">June 21, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6. sammy

I could have sworn that Baylor was getting kicked out of the Big 12

7. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I feel like I need to start with a Disclaimer: The info below came from a radio host in Austin. I disagree with a lot of the sentiments from Baylor fans that everyone in Austin is driven by their desire to see baylor return to mediocrity. In reality, another relevant Texas team is good for business, generates interest and sells tickets. It also helps the football team a lot when making a case at the end of the season whereas Baylor wins used to hurt that resume. Texas aggressively schedules high quality non-conference opponents and has no interest in Baylor being bad.

Also, let's just ignore the Austin reporters that are affiliated with paid subscription sites even though I don't think they are motivated by seeing Baylor suffer either. There are a number of talk radio personalities that have no real connection to UT that will criticize the school on any f-ups or mediocrity. Chad Hastings is an Aggie, Aaron Hogan is very neutral and fair in my opinion and Bucky Goldbolt is a former Texas RB who was fired along with the rest of mackovic's staff. Bucky also doesn't give a ****.

Now, Bucky has told this story a couple times on the radio. It was a conversation he had with a Texas High School football coach who asked that his name not be used. The comments from the coach would constitute slander if they were untrue and Bucky's station could open itself up to a libel lawsuit as well. Could Bucky have made it up? Yea but he isn't a chip brown. Just an old coach that doesn't give a ****. None of these things prove anything however I felt they were relevant to point out. See the following:

Art Briles took over at Stephenville High School which was a 4A school that had not been the the playoffs since 1952. Briles had a so-so first season but finished his tenure at Stephenville with a record of 135–29–2 at 4 state championships. This unnamed High School coach said that it was known among coaches in Stephenville's district that Briles's program was rattled with PEDs. Let's assume that his players were better and his offense was fantastic. The issue though was that many of his players were significantly bigger in mass than players from other schools which is harder to explain by a quality strength program when you are talking about high school kids who still have developing bodies. He was described as a coach that only cared about winning and (from the sound of it) seemed like the stereotype that Jon Voigt played in Varsity Blues.

The following is pure conjecture by me:

Many Many people were surprised that Briles left UH for Baylor. Things were on the rise at UH and he had a very talented QB by the name of Robert Griffen coming in. On the other hand, Baylor had not had a winning season since 1995 and had won 11 games in 12 years of big 12 play. I believe there were two big understated reasons for the move: First, he left a massive metropolis in Houston that was full of reporters that were capable of covering up to 4-5 pro sports teams for smaller town that offered similar advantages to Stephenville, Texas in regards to media inquiries and personal relationships with the police. Two) Baylor is a private university (which I believe makes it similar to an LLC but I can't find anything on his business classification) meaning it's immune to open records requests, the increased scrutiny of public universities that are funded by tax money and a slew of other advantages. They are able to keep the findings of the P.H. report private because of textbook attorney-client privilege. It's entirely possible that would also apply to a public school as well but there are so many reasons that would practically force UT or A&M to release the findings of an investigation over a scandal like that.

Do I believe Briles went to Baylor to unleash this master conspiracy? No. I think he identified there was a huge amount of control and very little oversight with the program which is something he was able to use to his advantage in the past.

#47 Brando2101, Jun 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  8. the shark

the shark Member

IMO, Briles left UH because they were offering him more $$$.

Plus it was an opportunity to win at a higher level.

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Briles is a ****ty human being.

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

You guys are dumb. Football is more important than rape. And winning at football is more important than it happening over and over again.

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

They probably do rape sacrifices to the football gods before each game.

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

no doubt

[​IMG]

13. sammy

14. sammy

15. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

16. sammy

There was a major study that I posted that stated that 15% of women have been raped at TX and A&M. 4-5% go unreported bc the victims don't feel their allegations would be taken seriously.

This isn't about Baylor and the way the football program handled the cases. I know we **** the bed. This is more about the claims that Baylor is an unsafe campus and dads wouldn't send their daughters there. Yeah, dads should feel totally safe about sending their kids to party schools like LSU, Texas etc

17. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Maybe I missed that discussion, but I haven't seen anyone say that Baylor is an unsafe campus. The complaints I've seen are about Baylor's football program and its toxic culture of covering up sexual assaults. And I think that's the difference between Baylor and its Texas counterparts A&M and UT - I don't think either football program is actively covering stuff up. If they are, I'll be the first to criticize them.

#57 Hustle Town, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Protecting the victims is a logical reason and don't think anyone would argue against it. But not sure why you'd also have to hide behind the private school shield. I know BU hasn't come out and said it but the authors use of it takes away from the article IMO. You can't say well BU is private so they don't have to release jack but then admonish the Big 12 because you don't believe they would ask OU or Texas to do the same when, in reality, they wouldn't have had the choice on whether to release it or not.

And those with a "vested interest" in the school should absolutely not have a vote in the matter for that very same reason. Releasing the report does nothing but hurt BU and in turn, those vested in it. If the reason for not releasing information is to protect the victims, then it should be their choice, not the faculty, athletes, students, alumni, etc...who stand to lose more than they would gain from it.

19. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I absolutely agree with the fact that Baylor is not a safe place for dad's to send their daughters. Sexual Assault is a problem at every single college in hte US. Texas and may other schools put a tremendous amount of effort and money into investigation and victim care. Not every woman is going to feel fully supported. You just have to do your best and not give up or take a break from a problem that will never be fully defeated. Baylor turned women away and spent years underreporting assaults. Assault becomes an unchecked evil in an institution like that where there is no campus news about students getting in trouble, suspended or expelled for horrible actions.

I'm sure that this will get corrected at Baylor. The perspective that many alums and students have on the ability for women to say no is what I would be truly concerned about.

#59 Brando2101, Jun 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  20. sammy

Interesting to note how the Big 12's stance with Baylor has done a 180 since the recruits have been let go. All of a sudden, Baylor is being commended for being transparent as they can be.

We're not getting kicked out now! Texas and OU are happy! Everyone is happy!! Tell me I'm lyin