1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

California Colleges Mull Return of Affirmative Action

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pirc1, Mar 14, 2014.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not if you want a diverse learning environment because a diverse learning environment provides a better education based on studies. You would take steps to make that learning environment more diverse in order to give students the best possible education.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You seem awfully sensitive about this subject.

Actually I don't disagree with the ruling. I think this is a matter for states to decide. That said I wouldn't necessarily say this is the end of the affirmative action. As noted the original post of this thread is about a bill in the CA legislation so just because it is left to the state doesn't mean that it will end. Further I don't think you are giving Breyer much credit. He is a left leaning judge but also understands the proper application of the Constitution and politics and the affects of each on society. He probably figures that there are still ways to keep affirmative action going without the USSC especially since in 2003 the USSC did say that states schools can consider racial preferences in admissions.

Regarding opinion polls yes they are generally against affirmative action that said as these are programs that have strong support within certain interest groups there is still legislative support for it. As noted even with opposition affirmative action has continued to survive in some sort.

Also being a CAL grad yes I know that UC does take economic considerations but they don't have a 10% solution like Texas.

#302 rocketsjudoka, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  3. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Weak premise arguing for AA. "Better learning environment" is subjective and debatable. There's an argument that having the smartest and brightest kids is a better learning environment.

In either case, a "better learning environment" isn't grounds for discrimination based on skin color. A long time ago, people thought a "better dining experience" was separating people of different colors. So if its "better", it makes it ok?

Where do you stop? A "better party experience" is clubs with certain skin colors. A better prom is where there are separate proms for black and white HS kids. Companies wanting a "better work environment" or company culture might think its beneficial to be exclusive to certain racial backgrounds. Point is, "better" is subjective, and doesn't address the problem of AA; which is racial discrimination.

4. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Well there have been studies done showing diverse learning environments produces students with better cognitive abilities, leadership skills, etc.

So providing that for students is far different than providing a better party experience.

While better might be subjective, I was presuming that we could agree that having better cognitive abilities and leadership skills would be part of a better education.

5. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

There are plenty of great UC schools. They aren't going to configure enrollment in a way that will harm their standing.

I'm also not saying that all the applicants accepted are equal, just that they all meet minimum requirements set by the university.

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

define "diverse"

hint: it's not just racially diverse

"diversity" has been what those in favor of discrimination cling to...

7. itstheyear3030

No, actually I could care less; I'm out of college and don't plan to have kids anytime soon. You just have a very condescending tone that really irritates me, particularly when you insinuate that I don't have even the most basic reading comprehension skills. I also don't need you to tell me about Breyer, the way SCOTUS judges vote, or the nuances of the federalist system. Perhaps you are too used to people around here being uninformed, but I would appreciate it if you kept it to yourself. I apologize if I was unnecessarily offensive in my previous post. Maybe we should put each other on ignore?

Lastly, I did not predict the downfall of aa as a whole, merely the eventual downfall of aa in state universities and perhaps state employment practices, since that was the only question that was decided by the case. There is still the matter of aa in the private sector. Maybe I'm wrong, but my gut tells me that more states will follow in the path of CA, MI, and the like regarding their universities. You are more than welcome to disagree. I'm not even going to go into the 10% thing again because that has been covered in this thread already.

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wb96XJAudic" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Standardized tests take social affinity out of the equation and benefit minorities more than these other criteria, all of which whites are judged more favorably on once one gets to the workplace.