1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

2016 Finals odds

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Cleveland Cavaliers 5/2
    San Antonio Spurs 19/5
    Golden State Warriors 13/2
    Oklahoma City Thunder 17/2
    Los Angeles Clippers 12/1
    Chicago Bulls 22/1
    Houston Rockets 22/1
    Memphis Grizzlies 30/1
    Miami Heat 40/1
    Atlanta Hawks 45/1

We currently are 7th. 5th in the west. It seems like we are ranked kind of low.

2. TheMountainTop

I think that is a fair assessment.

3. Mattician

Mattician Member

WCF team without two starters. Hopefully a healthy Lawson.

Seems low.

4. rockets2012

rockets2012 Member

Seems fair given our point differential. West is so competitive that any contender could lose in first round.

5. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Meh seems fair to be honest,

6. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Remember that the odds are a betting line - they don't reflect how likely those teams are to win. They are more a reflection of the odds that they think they need to set the line to in order to make money on the public's perceived competitiveness of a team vs. how likely that team is to perform to that perception. It's a formula designed to get more people to bet on the wrong teams and not reward betters for taking clear favorites.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The odds reflect the probability of the team winning NBA title. For example the probability of the cavs winning is 2/(5+2)=28.6%. The probabilities are determined by the amount of money people are putting on teams.

8. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

So Clippers are a fair assessment? Lol team can't even get to WCF.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Sounds reasonable to me.

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

"How will our odds be after we get Durant?" - Morey

Seriously though the Cavs are scary.

11. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Thanks - I'll readily admit to not knowing exactly how it all works but the point I want to get across is there - the odds are set in relation to factors that have nothing to do with how good a team is on the court(like how much money is being bet on a team). I think I even read that some betters will put a large amount of money on a team to try to get the line to move in favor of a bet they placed on a different team earlier. Everything I know about better I learned from Bob Voulgaris' appearances on the BS report and half the time I didn't even understand what he was saying.

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/dollars/post/_/id/2935/meet-the-worlds-top-nba-gambler

12. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

lol vegas continues to overrate the bulls and spurs.

13. LC Rox Fan

LC Rox Fan Member

Their roster is stacked this year, but I feel like their team and ours should be above OKC.

14. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

22-1 was the Rockets record to start the 1993-4 season...

15. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I don't see OKC better, nor LAC after we got Lawson.

16. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

i think we can beat cleveland

17. Bezzle

Bezzle Member

Hey OP, where did you get these odds?

According to WCF odds, the Mavs will be scraping the bottom fighting the Pelicans for the 7th-8th spots

18. Handles

Handles Member

To get payoff, do we need to win the finals or just make the finals? If the latter, I'll totally put some $ down. I like those odds.

19. photojoe

photojoe Member

Honestly, that's the thing. The top of the Western Conference is so stacked.

IMO, you could rate any of OKC, SAS, LAC or us in any order and I think it would be pretty fair. They are all very, very good teams but have their own share of question marks.

OKC- should be good but we haven't seen them healthy in over a year. How will Durant play with Kanter? How will Westbrook feel about losing being the #1 option like he was all of last year? Why do they still have Waiters?

SAS- I know they are the popular choice again after signing LMA, but no one mentions how they lost some of their depth to get him. I'm not sold on their Center position at all. They have good but not great rebounders. Who is going to be their rim protector? 40 year old Duncan? LMA, who already said in Portland that wasn't a role he wanted?

LAC- Does Paul Pierce have anything left? Which Lance Stephenson are they going to get? Have they fixed their depth issue that they have had for years?

Houston- Can we stay healthy? Will Ty Lawson be able to avoid off court issues? How will Harden and Lawson, both ball dominant guards, be able to co-exist?

Obviously I think the Rockets are the best. I'm also very biased. But I think they are all so good and so close that I can see how people or the media or Vegas or however could rank one above the other one without being too upset about it.

1 person likes this.
  20. jdjd

jdjd Member

I have a question regarding the SAS. Did Parker, Duncan or Ginobolli find a fountain of youth or something? If I'm not mistaken the Spurs biggest problem last year was declining play by their wing men.
    Now they add a really good 4 (which I think they already had a really good 4) and everyone says they're sooo good all of a sudden. I really don't think LMA can give them much more than Duncan already gave them, and neither of them are centers to deal with other teams bigs. SO WHY SO MUCH SPURS LOVE?