1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] Daryl Morey sees improvement for Rockets despite criticism

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Jul 25, 2014.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

In full : http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...hp?cmpid=twitter-premium&t=fde9b079a1cba496f0

#1 RV6, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  2. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

Of course he does. Carnival barker. Deadline is when this team gets better

3. clutz

clutz Member

Awkward.

4. Classic

Classic Member

I'm buying the theme of the article.

I'm sure they have deadline targets already in mind if there are no other moves to make this summer.

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Yeah...but it does answer the question that many have asked, why wasn't the coach fired or held accountable for lack of d? We should expect a better defensive effort from everyone next year, McHale included.

6. beastlyball

beastlyball Member

I was a Morey fan but now I'm luke warm with this cat. He got all the praised in the world when he got Howard to sign. So for him to make it sound like people were whatever with that, but bash him for not landing Bosh is not accurate.

7. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

I generally agree with DM and I am a fan but it is extremely unlikely we've improved over last year. A lot of random things have to occur in the Rockets favor for that to be true.

8. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

That's not at all what he said.

He said that he either gets "that's amazing," or "that's terrible." There is no middle ground.

Everyone was positive and said "that's amazing" after trading for James and signing Dwight.

Now they are saying "That's terrible" after missing on Melo and Bosh, and letting Parsons go.

1 person likes this.
  9. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

I've got no problem with the decisions of the front office. I don't think the fans can't wait another season before the Rockets start locking in the roster. That means I think it's either find your 3rd best player this season or start buying good role players.

I guess as a fan I'm getting a little impatient. Maybe I should be ok with waiting another season if the results are a much larger contending window.

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I think you misunderstood what he said. He's saying, that in general, he only gets great praise or hate, never anything in the middle. But he's using the same approach every time, even with Howard. So he's not going to get a B+ on his work because he almost landed Bosh and took a great shot, people will give him an F. In other words, he gets graded on the part he can't control.

11. bmd

bmd Member

Good article. Makes a lot of sense.

The 2 biggest problems last year was rebounding and defense. Morey went out and got guys on the cheap whose main strengths are rebounding and defense. And also physicality.

He addressed the needs of the team while preserving cap space for future upgrades to be made.

The Rockets are in good shape. Everybody around here needs to relax.

12. bmd

bmd Member

Sometimes you have to pass up something good to get something great.

Going all in when you don't have a true chance at a championship isn't the right move.

13. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Parsons probably offended

14. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I don't think Morey is going to just throw away the season. We still have the trade exception and pelicans pick to move and if we hit on any of the rookies or Jones continues to develop we can move them too. It's not about waiting for next season but it is about waiting until an offer worth tying up your cap space presents itself.

15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

That's the exact opposite of what he was saying. He's saying it's an all or nothing type of world the media has portrayed, so it's only natural for people to feel highly disappointed in the way the off-season has gone, much like they were highly pleased with getting Dwight.

16. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Morey is still alright in my book. He took a gamble and lost, but the payoff for that gamble would've been a sure championship contender. We were that close. In my opinion, you have to take that gamble every time. We should consider ourselves lucky to have a GM that's willing to take the gamble when its needed. Look at the Detroit Pistons, for example. They're still a middling team that could use a rebuild, but yet they're going around giving out bloated contracts to guys that aren't going to elevate them to contender status like Stuckey, Jennings, and Smith. Most GM's in this league aren't anywhere near as competent as Morey.

17. htown1984

htown1984 Member

I like it sometimes you double down on 11 and you get a 2, but it doesnt mean it was wrong to double down ---- NICE

18. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I'm more than willing to admit... when Morey let Parsons go to the Mavs, I was angry and disappointed, and "thought it was the end of the world."

But I've relaxed and calmed down and have come to realize that maybe it wasn't such a bad move after all. With the exception of the Melo/Bosh thing, he's had an obvious agenda this offseason... Improve defensively and physically. Which is exactly what this team needs.

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I think the Scolas and Artests will always be there in some form. We could just grab them now, but that's likely going to cap us out as a competitive second round team. Bosh would have been great, but I'd like to see some inner growth from the team, especially Howard and Harden, before deciding to commit to role players.

20. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Confirms he knew the Dwight signing was basically in the bag, per Doc Rocket, before the free agency period began.