1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is it time we stop referring to our players as assets and pieces?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tuk88, Jul 25, 2014.

?

Is it time we stop referring to our players as assets and pieces?

1. Yes, it's not helping sign/retain free agents.

109 vote(s)
    49.5%
  2. No, players know it's a business.

111 vote(s)
    50.5%
  1. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

"This is a stark contrast to the situation that has unfolded in Houston in recent weeks, where Rockets GM Daryl Morey has come under heavy fire for heavy-handed treatment of players as 'assets'". July 24, 2014: http://bit.ly/1nZG3S9

"Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players or pieces that complete our team. We've lost some pieces and added some pieces. I think we'll be fine next season." Harden

1 person likes this.
  2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I voted yes not to refer them as such, but they all know it is a business.

3. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

but thats all they every will be in the eyes of the great wizard daryl morey. why else would he sign everyone to such measly, spendthrift cont?

morey's message to all players - if you aint a star, you aint gettin jack **** over here b****! IM THE BOSS! YOU WORK FOR ME! OKAY?!

4. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

6. Red.Glare

Red.Glare Member

Unless you own your business, you are nothing more than an asset at your job too. But who likes a boss who constantly reminds you of that fact? And it certainly doesn’t make you want to work harder for the company (team). Professional or not, everyone has pride and feelings.

1 person likes this.
  7. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I believe Jones and DMO are the longest tenured Rockets now. Once Morey can get his 3rd piece to his big 3 puzzle, I don't think will see as much turnover IMO and most "assets" will stay. If you take a page out of the Spurs playbook you can see that familiarity is the new normal.

8. bmd

bmd Member

This has weirdly become an issue all of a sudden. Fans from all different message boards use the terms "asset" and "pieces". Sports writers use it. Players and other GMs use it.

Why all of a sudden has this become a talking point?

9. Remii

Remii Member

Probably because Morey treats his players like "assets" more so than any other GM.

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Even the fans are assets except me.

11. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

I think the assets need to stop being "offended."

12. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

dafuq? no

13. txtodd

txtodd Member

Yes! It worked a lot better when we treated the likes of Kelvin Cato, Mo Taylor, Shandon Anderson, Matt Maloney, etc like gentlemen.

1 person likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

Stupid thread is stupid.

15. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

Publicly I don't think Morey has used the word assets to refer to players. This is media and fan created BS. ONE STAR.

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yeah, I remember when they'd let Thomas Hamilton have seconds at lunch, because his mom told Rudy that he's still a growing boy, and he's used to getting two sandwiches.

17. Possum

Possum Member

This whole topic is being so overblown. Anyone who doesn't think every GM doesn't think of non franchise players as assets is clueless.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I wish my company viewed me as an asset, and not a liability.

An asset means you are valued. That's not a bad thing. I hate when people get all emotional about this crap.

As for Harden's comments.... Hell yeah. As a leader in that locker room with bigger goals, its time to put your foot down, and say to the rest of the team that they are going to follow him and Dwight's lead this year. They are not superstars. They need to follow them into battle.

Its better this way, and the "agendas" that were abundant last year affected the overall team performance. You need chiefs and indians for any tribe to function correctly. I like Harden putting his foot down, and letting everyone on the team know this year... Me and Dwight are in charge here.

If they fail to lead than they are going to have to live with the results of that. Should be an interesting year, but I think the agendas being left at the door can't be a bad thing for this team. Everyone needs to know their role and their job this year.

19. Roxoff

Roxoff Member

Yeah, why do these teams care about money so much?

"Cash rules everything around me" - Wu-Tang

20. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Assets are generally used for things, not human being. If your company treat you like a great asset, not a great worker or leader, then you are not that important for them.