1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Countdown to Rick Rubio Drama?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/06/08/rubio-will-make-his-pitch-for-love-to-stay/

Sounds like Minnesota may need to get back more established good players rather than draft picks in order to avoid issues with keeping Rubio, who doesn't want to play for a team that sucks.

Rubio is a restricted free agent, of course, so the threat isn't nearly as great. But he can still threaten to just take the qualifying offer or even to return to Europe. One of the rich European teams would probably throw a ton of money at him.

2. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

Who would take Rubio if he leaves?

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

More pressure on Minnie, as if they needed any. From Rubio's comments, it sounds like he's interested in proven vets, as you pointed out. The shot at the T-Puppies with the Barcelona comparison was telling. Love is either grinning while reading this, or rolling his eyes. Probably depends on his opinion about Ricky.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Didn't DaDakoota start a thread like this for Spanoulis back in the day

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

A 23 year old averaging 10 points, 9 assist, 4 rebounds and 2 steals, who's on a 3.5 mill a year contract?

Basically every team in the nba. Yeah, he can't shoot and his FG% sucks, that doesn't mean he's still not talented, young and on a cheap contract.

6. heypartner

Every team wants a lessor white chocolate. When will people finally except the Rubio is not better than Jason Williams

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Rubio plays elite defense tho

8. heypartner

Uh. Beverley plays elite defense. Rubio cheats and plays the passing lanes

9. basketballholic

The most gettable player that makes the most sense in Minnesota with Rubio is ...... Pau Gasol.

Pau this year.
    Marc next year.

10. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Everyone here hates rubio but I would love to have him.

11. valorita

valorita Member

No pure basketball fanatic hates him, as his court vision is really what sets him apart. However, he just has a lot of flaws as a shooter.
    Many PG have been successful being not good shooters. It's not too late for lil Ricky

12. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

I meant by shooting % wise.

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

HELL NO.

The Spanish Jeremy Lin

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Beverley doesn't play elite defense, he plays pesky and physical on ball D, his team D is on the low side of ok-ish. He gets blown by a lot, he can't stay in front of his man any more the the average point IMO. Not knocking him, he hustles like hell, is pesky and physical, just not a elite defensive PG by any stretch IMO.

Also, even if Beverley plays equal or slightly better D, he definitely can't pass anywhere near rubio's level. That instantly makes Rubio much more valuable on the court then Beverley.

15. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

yeah I am really a big fan of court vision and the beautiful game. I think in the right setting and team, his vision is just so nuts that I would love to see him with a real team. I think he is several rungs above even cp3 and rondo in terms of vision.

You are right to say its not too late when dude is 24.
    Jason kidd is probably a good example of a guy with good vision ( not as good as rubio imo) that was able to improve his shooting. There was a time when jason kidd couldnt hit an outside shot to save his life, defenses just faded off him big time. To his credit he really improved. If rubio could pull a jason kidd and get to the right team it could really be something special. I still hold out hope for him and that. He is just unfortunately stuck in a basketball purgatory and not old enough and badass enough to pull himself out of it on his own. Still though with that vision I get goosebumps imagining him in the right situation.

playing the passing lanes and getting steals and be a good defender as a result it still being a good defender. I get it you don't like him but there are no rules that state how you have to be a good defender. Sure block people is fine and dandy too and I don't think he is as good a defender as bev, but doesn't mean rubio is a total tomato can just because he gets steals and defense from passing lanes. Plenty of good defensive teams played passing lanes. 90's Sonics come to mind.

16. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

A poor man's Spanish Rafer Alston without any shaving product endorsements.

#16 Zboy, Jun 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The issue isn't the here and now, it's about signing him long term for big money. That's why "drama" is mentioned.

If Rubio was the reason they didn't offer Kevin Love the extra year, all I can say is Kahn strikes again!

When Rubio isn't cheap, teams won't want him. That is, unless he morphs into a star, which no realist believes will happen. I think it would be a huge mistake to pay for unseen potential here. The guy has been playing pro ball since he was 15. He's closer to a finished product than a typical 23 year-old. I haven't seen much skill development the last 3 years.

Who was the guy here that said Rubio would be a top 5 PG the minute he joined the NBA?

18. heypartner

Rubio's defense is nowhere close in any way shape or form to Beverley. You are merely playing the debating game of applying tags to players. And you are saying since Beverley plays the absolute best man on man defense that means he can't do the other lazy defense playing the lanes like Rubio's

I really don't understand how you ppl think. The best man on man defender at the PG position is the best PG defender

And I'm not making this up

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Not better, probably not as good - - but a whole lot saner and more marketable than Randy Moss' old teammate.

RR doesn't shoot all that worse today than JKidd at a comparative age. Kidd got that set shot 3 pretty effective.

20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Rubio is better than white chocolate and rafer Alston. Their games are nothing alike. Rubio has substance with his court vision.