1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

An Old Man's Opinion: Luther Head will be trade before the start of the season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Okay, here is the scoop, Luther Head will be traded before the season starts. Do I have any inside info, Absolutely not! Is this based on my personal dislike for Luther Absolutely not! I like the kid and think he has a future in the NBA. But I do believe Luther will be traded before the start of the season simply for the fact that the Rockets currently have 8 guards on the team; Alston, Lucas, Snyder, Vspan, Head, Casey, Sura and Tmac. Six of which can play the same position as Head. Battier may even see a few minutes at the 2 guard himself but not enough to consider him part of the equation, so I I’ll leave him out. Lucas and Alston are only PG’s so I’ll exclude them. Sura will start on the IR and may never come off, so I will even exclude him.

So that leaves Snyder, Tmac, Casey, Head and VSpan all more than capable of playing the shooting guard spot. Okay Casey can play some at the 3 but with Tmac Battier and Bowen there, not much need for him. Some people would argue that Tmac will be our starting 2 but I only see him playing their when Battier is playing the 3 and not the 4. So Tmac gets maybe 10-12 minutes a game at the 2. So assuming Snyder wins the starting spot and Tmac takes another 10-12 backup minutes do you really need 3 sg’s to back up for 6-8 minutes. You could realistically get by with one but certainly Vspan and Head together would be more than adequate to help cover the remaining minutes. So why bring in Casey Jacobsen to a spot we are already are loaded at. Yeah his contract is only partially guaranteed but it is guaranteed enough. Which means the Rockets are either idiots or they have some reason for believing they need him. I mean they could have just let the summer league kid Pat something who was shooting lights out or Frahm come in for a tryout. But no, they signed Casey, they must no something they are not telling us.

So why trade Head? Why not 1 of the other guards. He had a pretty good season last year. That’s exactly why you trade him. He is the most valuable commodity that we are willing to part with. It goes back to the old adage you have to give something to get something. Okay you are still not convinced Head will be traded. Well how about the fact that Head has been included in almost every trade rumor since before the draft. Or what about the fact he was not on the Summer League team when even ROY Team USA member Dwight Howard played. Where was Head? Could it be it was precautionary measure to avoid injury on a player who is already part of a future trade. Morey CD and most recently JVG have suggested a trade before the start of the season is possible.

So maybe you ask, why have they waited so long to pull the plug. Well here is where my theory becomes purely speculation. The Rocket’s where planning on pulling the plug a lot earlier but some complications got in the way. Mainly either one or both of the players they were planning on trading for where injured. Yes that would be Brian Cook and/or Chris Mihm. The Rockets put the trade on hold because Cook had to get surgery on his thumb and/or Chris Mihm had to have surgery on his ankle. So the trade that was thrown around here for a while and then discounted could still happen. And now that both of these look like they are going to be okay the Rockets are preparing to complete the deal. Hence the signing of Casey. Even if that is not the trade I still will be very surprised if on opening day Head is a Rocket.

2. jeremyang2002

jeremyang2002 Contributing Member

How about Sura's done with his career?

How about CD finally decline to pick up Jacobson's partially guaranteed contract?

How about Bowen is cut and JVG want Synder to be a backup of SF?

Too many questions to answer before saying we are loaded with the back court.

3. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

The problem with this "the Rockets have 8 guards on the roster" notion that everyone keeps bringing up is that you fail to take into consideration the very pertinent fact that they all suck.

4. johnkamla

johnkamla Contributing Member

Interesting thoughts, but I think Luther can still play a significant role on this team as the main backup 2. I think having 8 guards, 9 if you count Azuibuke, is just a reaction on management's part after such an injury-plagued season. Sura is very questionable. VSpan is a PG first and a SG second. All of TMac's minutes will be at the 3 spot, except on rare occasions, just like last year. JL3 is the 3rd PG and shouldn't cut into any of Luther's PT. Casey Jacobsen didn't make an NBA roster last year so he'll be happy to be a 15th man. Azuibuke is a long shot. So the way I see it, Luther is firmly entrenched as the 2nd two. From a roster standpoint, he still makes sense. No one else has his combination of skills - sharpshooting and the ability to D-up on smaller SGs. Now if they can get something of at least equal value, then I wouldn't rule it out that the Old Man is right.

5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

and that in JVG's system, a 2 and a 3 is the same position. (and 4 too if we go small; see: Rockets 2nd Championship w/ BSB @PF)

6. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

What is Luther's trade value? Does anyone want him? Is there any team that doesn't already have a player with similar skills as he?

7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Well said, well argued. I disagree with one major part though. Tmac will play 2. It's not like he's having a hissy fit over playing the 2. He is more effective at the 3, but if JVG says 2, that's where he plays. Tmac is a team player. He's not going to say, "no" to a position. Still, I liked all of you points.

8. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Good theory. Especially because Head was apparently almost traded to move up to take Brandon Roy, before Minnesota blocked us. It seems rare that after a player is almost traded, that he sticks around much longer.* Even Robert Horry was eventually dealt after the Sean Elliott trade fell through (albeit after two championships).

* Exception - Roy Oswalt. :)

9. zhaozhilong

zhaozhilong Member

I hope except one, V-Span. He's too confident and too experienced to suck.

10. parlaynhustle

parlaynhustle Contributing Member

i think vspan will be the back up pg with lucas as the 3rd pg...and snyder and head will play most of the sg mins. Jacob and lucas probably are only gonna get a few minutes a game unless they prove somethin in training camp. Snyder might get a few back up mins at sf too...

#10 parlaynhustle, Sep 8, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2006
  11. JSub

JSub Member

Luther Head is a great shooter. If we were to trade him to some team, make it the Nuggets. They have all the PFs that the Rockets need. ALL of them.

12. xtint1n

xtint1n Member

that is true. the nuggets are in need of 3 point shooters too!

13. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

Some good points in there. I personally think that with this management, nothing is certain until it's a done deal. Nobody saw the Battier trade, and obviously that had been on the table all along as a post-Roy option.

I think Luther is good trade bait and management has not done a good job (intentionally or unintentionally) of hiding the fact that he is a good trade-able asset on the Rockets. So I wouldn't be surprised if he is dealt for a PF.

14. dfoolz

dfoolz Member

you think way too much my friend everything will be okay!!!

15. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

Nuggets got JR Smith. They don't need Luther Head. What the ydo need is insurance at PF/C since they have the 3 most injury-prone big men in the league - Nene, K-Mart, and Camby. So they have Joe Smith and Evans to cover for them. I think they are protecting themselves at PF/C just like we are at Guard.

What we need to do is to leave this team the way it is. I'm not against trading Head, but only if it brings us an upgrade at PF, and that kind of trade is not out there right now.

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Reasonable conclusion, Old Man. Of course to get any value a salary, even Sura's presupposedly injury ending one, would need to be combined.

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i can see luther going, but not for a PF unless juwon is in the deal too.

i tihnk the rockets will take this team to camp and see who makes it to preseason. if in preseason they feel they can do without luther then yeah he'd be gone.

18. BaMcMing

BaMcMing Contributing Member

Good point - and don't forget he also almost went to NO/OK for the Sefolosha pick (later traded from NO/OK to Bulls)

That's two nails in the coffin

Its a shame too, I think he will be a above average pro -- I've even been trying to compare his game to a young Joe Dumars, since Joe has been in the news lately with his upcoming HOF induction. They have some similarities in their games:
    Good range
    Undersized
    Pesky defenders
    Smart
    Quiet, hard working type

Those would be BIG shoes to fill, and Luther had a long way to go to get there, but I think we can all agree that he overachieved as a rook.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

True. But you can say the same about the PF/C situation, and we have far fewer bigs than guards.

20. Nero

Nero Member

Minny didn't block us, it was Portland.

LET'S ALL HATE PORTLAND!!