1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

can't help thinking about last years team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by legacygt777, Jul 24, 2014.

1. djperm

djperm Contributing Member

I appreciate your old school perspective. Canaan has shown potential but remember Lin was also a D-leaguer along with many other productive NBA players today. Even if Dorsey produces half of what Omer does, that's still gravy. Dorsey has room to develop, mature, and blossom as he played relatively few minutes in the NBA. Johnson hasn't played in the reg season but will so give him some minutes before making that judgement.

Even after the smoke/dust has settled, I have yet to see any evidence that Morey didn't plan on trading Jeremy no matter what happened. I don't think Morey is that foolish to trade a player like Lin without contingencies in case Bosh or whoever decides not to sign with the Rox. On the surface, it just seems like better PR for a player as (likeable off the court and worldwide) as Lin to be traded as part of a gamble for a Superstar instead of just saying bye-bye. There were numerous reports that the Rox tried to trade Lin prior to this offseason.

On a positive note, trading Lin in the offseason now rather than during the season is actually better for the Rox & Lin because it wouldn't cause as much of a disturbance/commotion when the season is rolling to Jeremy & the other players. He can now focus this offseason mentally, physically, emotionally, spiritually with a new team, system, environment, teammates, coaching, etc... and the Rox can also prepare themselves with new additions and without Jeremy, Parsons, and Asik before the season starts. So in that sense it was better to trade him now for both parties then later on (which seemed inevitable to no pleasure of mine).

I don't believe any GM would be foolish enough to squander this opportunity they have with Howard & James. Who really wants to wait til the trade deadline ??? But if that's what it takes to be in the finals in 2015 then so be it (hopefully NOT!) Even a second round or a semi finals exit would really be a bust just as the previous years playofffs have been. No cheers to that!

[If Daryl did in fact make an error, then it just goes to show that he's far from perfect. Fortunately he has shown time after time, the ability to put the Rockets in a position to Contend. Last I checked, he can't control injuries or actual performance from players and the coaches on the court like maybe a video gamer could.]

#41 djperm, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  2. Zbed

Zbed Member

I have a feeling the Rockets will be much better on defense because we already have Beverley and Dwight, very good defenders and D12 is a shot blocker. We added Ariza who will further improve our perimeter D. Also TJones will have more experience and I think he will improve as well, and Harden improving on defense at all is a plus.

3. ZJP3

ZJP3 Member

I'm not too worried about this years team. I think we still have a very strong starting line up, but our bench is essentially nothing right now. We need to make a move and round out the bench some more.

4. Rajjettheking

Rajjettheking Member

I agree with you in that we have definitely eroded this team by giving away 3 solid to stellar players. This off-season could not have gone worse. Keeping Parsons and Lin would've gone a long way to improving our performance next year. As for Asik, he was giving us strong play late in the season but pretty sure he was auditioning for a trade more than anything. Sad thing is that he and Lin at $8 mil against the cap was not that bad. Not nearly enough to risk losing them both for peanuts for just the prospect/chance of luring a superstar.

As for Parsons, well, that's the toughest part. Apparently all Morey and the cornerstones had to do was show him the respect he actually deserved and he would likely have signed for much less than $15 mil/year. Stroked his ego and acknowledge that he was in fact a Houston-made star. But no, couldn't even manage something that simple. Let the asset walk away.

Now good luck getting Rondo with nobody to trade for.

5. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

The 08-09 team
    The first year of Lin, harden, parson, asik. That was a really fun an exciting team to watch
    Last years team.

Those are my favorite 3 in the last 10

6. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

Last years team was by for more dynamic- a lot of ways to to attack from. This year it will be more traditional and more harden/Howard.

7. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

we'll see how things pan out with who we get. I think ariza can run. if we're going to grow from last year harden has to play tough d consistently, bev needs to shoot better, and jones needs to play tough D inside and dev a solid jumper.

8. i3artow i3aller

9. scaramanga

scaramanga Member

Unless Harden steps up his efforts on defence, and Dwight improves his free throws, even the best bench in NBA will not save us.. The way McHale was running the team, expect 40mins+ per game for both of them again.

I would hesitate to think beyond 2nd round playoff for this team.

10. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

goodness....let's hope not.

11. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Last year's team looked great ON PAPER. Except for a few exciting games (the Heat and the Pacers) it really never gelled. Too many unhappy players thus adversely affecting the team's chemistry.

The fact that it was able to win 54 games is a testament of how good the two superstars were. This year's team will be much more balanced, with an emphasis on the defensive end. I trust Morey when he said we will better by the 2015 playoffs.

In addition, I am loving the media shtting on us. This will unite the team better than any speech McHale could ever make.

Out with old, in with the new.

12. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

Dissapoint I guess but I thought they'd be lucky to it past the second round. The bench was so terrible outside Lin and Asik.

13. alX

alX Member

yep.
    the rockets have gone from young, promising nba darlings to a team of folly. a maelstrom of bad moves and a comedy of errors from owner-to-gm- to player. completely ruined the good vibe this team had.

14. rocketsmetalspd

This team will be better then last years team. The D will improve and the toughness on the team is better. Now the team just needs a backup C (Okafor or O'Neal).

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

This team also needs a backup PG and a backup SF.

Canaan isn't a distributor , he's a SG in a PG body.

Johnson hasn't played a single NBA minute , doesn't appear to have NBA 3 point range. Probably spends the season in RGV.

Ish Smith cant shoot FT's much less NBA 3's.

Who's behind Ariza at SF ? Gee? .... He's been a mediocre player on BAD teams his entire career. I'd wager he's traded as the best thing about him is his contract is not guaranteed.

I wouldn't mind Maurice Williams , Marion & O'Neal on the bench ..... all solid veterans who are consistent if unspectacular and come with playoff experience.

Aint nothing else behind Ariza.

16. 1234567

1234567 Member

Sad place to visit these days

Team is worst.... No doubt about it.

Pure spin by DM. He even called it double down on 11 and got a 2.

That is a loser hand... Unless the dealer bust. We are all hoping for a bust at this point. That would mean Ariza plays to max of his potential and those other retreads coming back plays way ways out.

Dorsey becomes a serviceable backup center and whoever that DM will get for backup SF/SG will do well.

And I did not even mention 6th man stuff. There is no one that I would call 6th man worthy now on roster and FA available is getting thin.

Trade? Sure, when that happens, and rockets actually getting a good player back let me know.

But knowing how Adam works.......

17. 1234567

1234567 Member

Sorry IPhone auto correct crap

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

We have to realize that this roster is incomplete .... and probably wont be a finished product until after the trade deadline.

(even in my criticism of the current makeup of the roster , I can see that)

19. autoprt

autoprt Member

howard/harden are cornerstones. for me to see improvement the regular season doesn't matter, what happens after the playoffs will tell how good this team will be and to be honest if both harden and howard showed up this year from game 1 there wouldn't have been a need to go searching for a 3rd star. we had home court advantage and lost it in game 1.
    until they both learn how to bring their a game in the playoffs it won't matter who we bring in.

20. tkrieger

tkrieger Member

As far as I'm concerned, regardless of talent (unless it's the second coming of the 1972 Lakers), the "Moreyball" offense in postseason play becomes too predictable and too easy for defenses to stop, making a deep playing run highly unlikely.

The second-level talent on this team was broken up.... But the replacements (aside from Ariza) didn't come.... I think players are coming to the realization that Morey's "advanced analytics" are nothing more than a gimmick, and would rather play on a team whose offensive philosophy is more grounded in the fundamentals.