1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Pat Beverly our PG of the future?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JD88, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Sanity2disChaos

I loooove Bev but that Johnson kid will be a better 1 for this team....in the near future of course.

2. 34to11

34to11 Member

Maybe next time you look at the assist column and get "deflated" you should glance over to the W/L column and feel better. That's a better place to measure Bev's impact.

Truth.

3. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

LOL what are you talking about? WHen he had that fever, jeremy lin stepped up and helped them win the game. Then in game 6 Lin held Lillard to 0 points in the 4th quarter until the last possession.....when Lin was off the floor, and Bev wasn't even guarding Lillard!!

4. Asian Sensation

It doesn't matter where it comes from but ideally you would want it to come from the PG position.

That's neither here nor there though. The problem is from the looks of things they (assists) are not there. The issue is Bev simply isn't a good playmaker on the offensive side. The bigger issue is we lost our 2nd and 3rd best playmakers Lin and Parsons and we're replacing them with young and unproven players who are fighting to make the team and we replaced Parsons with Ariza. I'm all for the Ariza/Parsons swap but you can't deny the fact that Parsons is a much better playmaker on the offensive side of the ball.

Basically we're losing 8 assists per game and we're trying to make that up between Ariza and Bev's backups. Lets say Ariza makes up 2.5 that leaves 5.5between Bev's backups which is asking a lot even if we consider Bev does improve from his 2.7 APG in 30 + MPG. I don't think Harden can improve much more on his assists. I think he's already doing more than he should be in that regard. There's a lot of things that need to go right just to match last years total which was only good for 18th best in the league.

You can get away with having good 3 and D guys who don't do much else at the SF position. However, An NBA level starting PG should be much more well rounded than to just be able to play Defense and shoot the 3 and on that note it's not like Bev is a sharpshooter from deep by any means either.

5. JD88

JD88 Member

How would you know? Based on the one full season you watched him play? A 36% 3pt shooter in his first full season is pretty good. Give him a year or two, there's no reason he can't be a 39-40% shooter.

6. Asian Sensation

36% is decent but not good enough when he's severely lacking in other departments on the offensive end. We don't have another year or two to wait around.

7. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I'm willing to give Bev a little more time to develop as a starter. I think he feels more comfortable on the team now and we've certainly heard from his own mouth that he's willing to work hard to improve. In a league top-heavy with point guards, I think we can exercise a little more patience before we pull the trigger on a trade at that position.

8. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

You will find out in 2016...Either the Rockets are looking like a serious contender or...They are back 2 square 1 repeating this whole process over and over again

9. solid

solid Contributing Member

We are talking about the Houston Rockets; he might not even be on the team in November.

10. sutton

sutton Member

Lin has gone, Bevs has served his purpose, rockets will replace him in a year.

11. JD88

JD88 Member

If you think our team needs to go out and find a 'big name' point guard, then you are essentially saying you are more comfortable with DMo or Jones at the 4 for the foreseeable future.

If we are in fact making a run at Durant in 2016, Bev's potential contract of 4-5m wouldnt hamper our ability to do so. But if we want to land a Dragic/Rondo/whoever, there will be no room for a Durant in 2016 and we wouldnt have the cap space or trade pieces to upgrade the PF spot, which really is our biggest hole.

There are very few point guards in this league that Beverley can't defend, but there are about 10 power forward's just in the western conference that Jones can't defend.

12. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I'll just put it this way... if it came down to it, I would MUCH rather be stuck with Beverley at the PG position than Jones/DMo at the PF position.

I think Beverley is excellent for this team. I just wish he had a little more play-making ability.

13. beastlyball

beastlyball Member

On a lighter note. Can you guys imagine a conversation between, Mutombe, Yao, and Hakeem?

14. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Yao would be the easiest to understand, followed by Hakeem. I could never quite figure out what Mutombo was saying half the time.

15. JD88

JD88 Member

That's it. Either we ride with Bev or ride with DMo/Jones if we are going after Durant, barring Ariza being traded as an expirer (is that a word?) for a PF or PG.

16. Rajjettheking

Rajjettheking Member

We already have one of the best PGs in Harden. All Bev has ever needed to do, and will continue to do, is bring the ball up to James and play D. That being his role then yeah he is our PG of the future.

17. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

It is hard to say. If he improves his 3pt shot and remains consistent on D, then he is a keeper for the right price. He does his job well. With Morey we can never know for certain.

18. SuperManRocketz

when JLIn was pg here houston..you guys wanted bev to be the starters and now that his and jlin is gone..you guys wanna find another pg..lmao.

19. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

bev isnt a starting pg, and lin doesnt fit well here as a starting pg

of course bev can improve. but he's had plenty of time to be a true pg and he hasnt done that yet.

20. ogh

ogh Member

Bev will stay as starter alongside Harden.