1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 NCAA Coaching Carousel Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by gucci888, Oct 12, 2015.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Jobs are starting to open up with Maryland firing Randy Edsall over the weekend. Of course the bigger news is Pat Haden forcing Steve Sarkisian to take a leave of absence. The dirt on Sark is starting to come out and don't think there is anyway he comes back as USC HC. This includes being hammered at a booster event, during the Arizona State game, and showing up drunk Sunday morning after losing to Washington at home.

Update: USC fires Steve Sarkisian

1. USC
    2. Maryland

#1 gucci888, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Pat Haden never should have hired Sark and should be held accountable for that giant mistake. UW might have fired Sark if USC hadn't hired him first.

They need to go "outside the family" and just grab the best available.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Maryland isn't an interesting job.

Chip Kelly might be going back to college. That will be interesting.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I wonder if Richt finally gets fired. Probably not. Never does.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

And he's gone. I wonder if they can get out of paying him completely. I assume there's a way if he's showing up drunk.

#5 Ziggy, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  6. gucci888

You can bet that all of his drunken shenanigans were strategically leaked after his leave of absence yesterday. But like A_3PO posted, this needs to fall on Haden. Bad hire and the firing was handled just as poorly IMO. If your coach was drunk during a game, that should be an immediate termination, not to mention showing up late and wasted on a Sunday after a home loss to UW.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

South Carolina
    Illinois
    North Texas

8. jdh008

jdh008 Member

The ONE thing that makes the Maryland job at least remotely interesting is all that Under Armour money that Kevin Plank has that can be thrown around. The Oregon job wasn't all that interesting either until Phil Knight decided to throw his money around and used uniforms and apparel to make the Oregon "brand" exciting to recruits.

The difference, though, is that Oregon rose as a program at a time when they were really one of the few programs that pushed the envelope in this way. Now, everyone has a huge sponsorship deal with a a major manufacturer and a million alternate uniforms, so maybe it's not quite the advantage it was 15 years ago, but still, it's something that the Terps have that other programs on a similar level don't.

9. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

This. UA is doing great and has the edginess that appeals to a lot of youth. It's not a great job opening, but still good bc of that.

10. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Chip Kelly to USC makes perfect sense

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

That could work. Meanwhile, the other USC will sink into oblivion without the old ball coach. Georgia and Clemson are grateful.

12. gucci888

I bet we hear a few Texas coaches names come up this summer. Not sure if they'd leave but Sumlin, Briles, Hermann, Morris will all get some legit interest IMO.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Muschamp could be the Head Coach at SC right now. Instead he's 3-2.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

They were already heading that way. 7-6 last year and can't finish any better than .500 this year. Unless they go big, they'll continue to be an also-ran in the SEC for the foreseeable future.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Definitely. I said a few weeks ago Spurrier should have retired after last season because his tread is gone.

Check out some of these wisecracks over the years:

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/108342/looking-back-at-steve-spurriers-best-quotes

When Steve Spurrier spoke, we all listened.

Heck, no one knew what was going to come out of the man's mouth. You just knew it was going to be entertaining.

Just look at this gem about winding up at South Carolina: “Some people ask, ‘How did you end up there?' I said, ‘I was available and they were the only ones who offered me a job the end of 2004.' "

In light of the news that Spurrier is retiring, here's a look at some of the Head Ball Coach's most famous lines.

Steve Spurrier on playing Georgia: "I don't know. I sort of always liked playing them that second game because you could always count on them having two or three key players suspended." MCT via Getty Images
    On coaching so long ...

“People ask, 'Why are you still coaching?' I forgot to get fired and I'm not going to cheat.”

"I'm smart enough to know when it's time to let somebody else come in and do this, but I'm also smart enough to know that we've beaten Georgia four of the last five years, beaten Florida four of the last five years and beaten Clemson five of the last six years. We're only 3-2 against Tennessee the last five years, and they won a couple of close ones against us, but they've lost 10 in a row to Florida. So I'd say we've done OK and have a lot more we're going to do."

"Well, like I told people, I breezed right through age 60, breezed right through 65, and I'm going to try my best to breeze right on through 70. I can still remember just about everything. So mentally, I think I'm the same as I was. We got two people running for president, I think Hillary and Donald Trump are both 69, I believe. Coach K at Duke, he's still doing pretty good at, I think 69 also. So the age really doesn't mean a lot."

Jabbing at the Georgia ...

"I don't know. I sort of always liked playing them that second game because you could always count on them having two or three key players suspended."

"Why is it that during recruiting season they sign all the great players, but when it comes time to play the game, we have all the great players? I don't understand that. What happens to them?"

Jabbing at Tennessee ...

On Tennessee missing out on the Sugar Bowl during his Florida years: "You can't spell Citrus without U-T."

On Peyton Manning: "I know why Peyton came back for his senior year. He wanted to be a three-time star of the Citrus Bowl."

Jabbing at Florida State ...

"You know what FSU stands for, don't you? Free Shoes University."

On FSU players hitting Danny Wuerffel late: "He's like a New Testament person. He gets slapped up side the face, and turns the other cheek and says, 'Lord, forgive them for they know not what they're doing.' I'm probably more of an Old Testament guy. You spear our guy in the earhole, we think we're supposed to spear you in the earhole. That's kind of where we're a little different."

On Jadeveon Clowney getting a speeding ticket: “I didn't know Jadeveon's car that could go that fast. He doesn't have a pretty car like those FSU guys used to drive."

Jabbing at Clemson and Dabo Swinney ...

Swinney was asked about his relationship with Spurrier and said, "He's from Pluto, and I'm from Mars." Spurrier responded: "Dabo probably thinks there's only, what, nine planets out there? I think I read where Pluto may not be considered one now."

On winning an SEC title compared to beating Clemson: “What I've also learned at South Carolina, our fans realize there's more to life than winning the SEC championship. They really do. We're in a state with Clemson. Clemson used to pretty much own South Carolina in football, no question about it. We have a state championship trophy. If you ask our fans at South Carolina, I can assure you a majority would say, ‘We would rather beat Clemson than win the SEC.' That is how big it is to them, that one game. Personally, I'd rather win the SEC. I don't mind saying that. Personally, that's the bigger trophy.”

On LSU having the real Death Valley: "Most of our guys have never been to Death Valley. [LSU's stadium] is the Death Valley, isn't it? Or is there another one? There's two of them. That's right. There's two Death Valleys."

Jabbing at everyone else ...

On a fire at the Auburn library that destroyed 20 books: "The real tragedy was that 15 hadn't been colored yet."

On Tennessee and Arkansas having the same record as South Carolina in 2014: “We were 7-6. Same as Tennessee, same as Arkansas. I think they're sorta celebratin' big seasons last year. … There are people in Knoxville and Fayetteville still doing cartwheels over going 7-6."

On Nick Saban: “He's got a nice little gig going, a little bit like [John] Calipari. He tells guys, ‘Hey, three years from now, you're going to be a first-round pick and go.' If he wants to be the greatest coach or one of the greatest coaches in college football, to me, he has to go somewhere besides Alabama and win, because they've always won there at Alabama.”

16. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

Interesting that both USC jobs are open in the same week...... Very very interesting. Illuminati at work J/K

17. gucci888

Word is that SC will reach out to Charlie Strong but Kirby Smart is likely the front runner. Not sure what offers, if any, Smart has had in the past but surprised he hasn't moved onto HC gigs yet.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Charlie Strong? :confused:

I do think 2016 is the year Smart becomes a Head Coach, but I think Alabama might be #1 on his wishlist. Saban to Indianapolis makes too much sense.

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Sumlin to USC makes perfect sense. Great next step up on his trajectory to becoming the next Mike Tomlin.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Didn't he already talk to USC last year to get more money from TAMU? USC is the better destination IMO but he has an actual title contender (next year) at TAMU.