1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[BSPN] NFL Commissioner Goodell supports longer NFL season of 17-18 games

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets34Legend, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4015357

DANA POINT, Calif. -- More games that count, perhaps as early as August 2011? That's exactly what NFL commissioner Roger Goodell wants.

There are several hurdles before the league can expand its regular season from 16 to 17 or 18 games. Among them is reaching a new collective bargaining agreement with the players' union.

Still, the commissioner hopes to present a proposal to the owners in May after the matter was discussed at length this week at the owners meetings.

"It's possible that we could vote in May, but we want to have core discussions on this," Goodell said Wednesday. "Anytime you have change, there is some reluctance. But it's clear we don't need four preseason games anymore."

Goodell said the league has not seriously discussed the subject with its broadcast partners. He couldn't imagine them not being interested in more meaningful games.

"I think the quality of NFL programming, that every one of our network partners would say, if they have the chance to have more regular-season programming, they'd be interested in it," Goodell said. "A key point is the fans also recognize players they want to see are not in those preseason games; that's why they are not attractive. They want to see those players play."

As for those players and their union, Goodell recognizes an expanded schedule will be part of CBA negotiations. Owners opted out of the current deal last year, and it expires after the 2010 schedule, which would be an uncapped season.

"Under the current agreement, additional regular-season games would not be covered," Goodell said. "I think our most important priority after we get done with our internal analysis is talking to our key partners, and that includes the players. I think we want to make sure that the right dialogue takes place before we make any final votes."

DeMaurice Smith, the NFLPA's incoming executive director, wants any decision that affects the players to happen collaboratively.

"His hope is that the concerns and interests of the players will be seriously considered," said George Atallah, a director at the public relations firm Qorvis Communications and a spokesman for Smith during his transition. "He was elected by the players to be their advocate on such issues and is more than ready to serve them."

Among the issues team owners must discuss is when the regular season would begin; how many bye weeks would be scheduled; how deep into February the playoffs and Super Bowl would go; and when the offseason programs -- including the combine and the draft -- would be held.

Plus, where would the extra games be played, particularly with 17 of them?

One possibility, an idea Goodell and senior vice president of sales and marketing Mark Waller first mentioned several years ago, would be 17 neutral-site games, including some abroad. That would enable the league to step up its efforts internationally, a particular goal of Goodell's.

"There's been some discussion about that," Goodell said. "That's been one of the appealing features of converting preseason games into regular-season games is it gives you more inventory, more games that you can take to neutral sites, either internationally or domestically. So that is a compelling feature."

Another option would be having one conference play nine home games during a season, and the other conference do so the next year.

An 18-game schedule, obviously, would eliminate such concerns. It also would mean dropping two preseason contests.

"Fans don't believe preseason games are up to our standards," Goodell said.

Clearly, neither does he.

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Preseason games are stupid, cut them down to 2, add 2 regular season games.

Why the hell would they have a 17 game season? Half the teams get an extra home game?

Anyway, no reason we should have to sit through 5 weeks of meaningless preseason football.

Most position battles are won in training camp anyway.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

100% agree.

There are FAR too many preseason games.

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Those guys would be beat to hell after 18 games -- too much of a good thing.

5. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

The league is fine the way it is maybe reduce the preseason games and that's it. No extra games. And no more rules protecting the QB.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I'd rather watch 18/20 meaningful games per year than 16/20.

That is my logic.

Have you ever paid money to see a preseason football game?

Theres a robbery.

7. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

i dont understand why people continue to go out and watch a pre season game. ticket prices are outrageous and starters play maybe a quarter...maybe 2 if you're lucky

8. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Contributing Member

I concur. I hate paying for preseason tickets. Make one a regular season game and my season tickets wont go up and I'll be a happy camper

9. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

I dont want a longer regular season but definitely want a shorter preseason.

10. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

The idea of a 17 game season is to have a netrual site game. This is where you will have more of those games overseas and the NFL want to try to go global.

11. Astro101

Astro101 Member

I want 30 games and a round robin-best of 5 playoff system.

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I would imagine so (also if I had read the rest of the article)

That sounds more like a novel idea to me though, they don't have to promote the game much here in the USA. Overseas games are kind of stupid.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

They make you buy them if you buy season tickets. It's not optional.

14. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

For all those wanting to just cut preseason games - not gonna happen.

They make money off those games. If they aren't going to get rid of them, they might as well make them interesting.