1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 NCAA Coaching Carousel Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by gucci888, Oct 12, 2015.

1. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

If he was offered the UGA job he'd be dumb not to take it... Definitely a top 10 job.

2. Bob Barker 007

Seems weird to me though with the conference championship and a potential BCS bowl coming up. I also feel like UT or USC would want to talk to Herman before they let him go to Georgia.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

That would be a slam dunk for both Herman and UGA.

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Well UT has a coach so they'd have to be ready to make a move since word getting out would be absolutely disastrous. But Herman only has 1 year of HC experience which probably eliminates him from a few number of jobs. With that said, I would love to have Herman over Strong right now.

5. gucci888

Rumor that Meachum may take the UNT job. Not huge news but Cumbie is likely a top candidate for the UT OC job and Meachum leaving likely means Cumbie taking over.

With UT and A&M likely looking for new OCs, the trickle down effects will be fun to watch.

6. gucci888

First big domino falls as Clay Helton had been named permanent HC. Definitely not the splash hire most were expecting but thought he did a pretty good job.

7. askball

askball Member

Yeah agreed. I don't see Cumbie leaving if Meach takes the job at UNT.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think TAMU would be the better job, assuming the new guy takes full control (currently TAMU has 2 OC's). Lots of offensive talent at TAMU, but more importantly, if UT doesn't show up next year Strong is out.

9. gucci888

Ya, Sumlin has been stockpiling talent for years now and the QB situation at UT is very questionable at the very best. With that said, turning things around at Texas could lead to bigger things down the road.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I think this could be another big mistake for USC. Doing OK on an interim basis does not mean one is ready to handle the responsibilities of a job like USC. This is like punting the issue a couple of years down the road.

When Haden resigns, the new AD will hire his own guy.

11. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Lol @ Cowherd

12. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Generally speaking, I agree with you. He's done a pretty good job this season, but I had all but written him off as a real candidate for the permanent role.

I think there's a good chance that this ends up being more or less punting the situation, as you put it, and the next AD ends up bringing someone else in, but I think, at this moment, this is USC's attempt to over-correct and tell people "Look, we've learned from our mistakes. Rather than going out and making a splashy hire or hiring someone who is just essentially a recruiter, we're valuing continuity and we're listening to our players when they tell us that they really like playing for him."

13. gucci888

Updated with new hires and openings:

Georgia -
    USC - Clay Helton
    Virginia Tech - Justin Fuente
    Miami -
    South Carolina -
    Missouri -
    Maryland -
    Virginia -
    Central Florida -
    Minnesota - Tracy Claeys
    Iowa State- Matt Campbell
    Illinois - Bill Cubit
    Hawaii - Nick Rolovich
    Syracuse -
    North Texas -
    Tulane -
    LA Monroe -

14. askball

askball Member

looking like Meach will take the UNT position. Color me shocked Mizzou, Maryland, Virginia, heck even South Carolina wouldn't take a look at him. And on the flip side - I'm surprised Meachum isn't holding out for a higher profile gig.

15. AFS

AFS Member

Might be the convenience of not having to relocate his family.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I feel like Mizzou and Virginia are under the radar programs and can hire a decent name, I feel like Miami might be a bust gig.

17. gucci888

Hearing different things about Meachum now. Texas is targeting Cumbie and TCU may not want to lose both, either one is going to require a pretty substantial raise to keep. Meachum leaving for UNT doesn't make much sense for him at all IMO.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't think UT makes sense for any active coordinators employed at any big 5 conference school. Unless, of course, big guaranteed $.

19. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

UGA is a tremendous job, amazing how they don't win the East each year.

20. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Hearing from some boosters in Fort Worth that Meacham actually has not been formally offered the UNT job and is on the fence if offered.

Also hearing Cumbie having second thoughts on UT job due to Strong's long-term instability.

My bet is TCU offers one/both a ton of money to stay. But I bet at least one (maybe both) end up leaving.

Can't fault a guy for taking a head coaching gig and can't fault a guy if he wants to leave a smaller program (TCU) for a bigger one (UT).