1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Boomer Esiason Rips MLB Player Taking Paternity Leave

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Apr 3, 2014.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am listening to KFAN Minnesota Sports radio and they are ripping Boomer Esiason and his co-host Craig Carton for comments they made yesterday that Mets' player Dan Murphy shouldn't be taking so much paternity leave. Esiason went further to say that if it was his family he would've had his wife have a C-Section before the season started.

Here is video of the segment.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QbMFHX5iqBY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So far at least in MN opinion is solidly against Boomer, especially the C-Secion comment. Just wondering what Clutchfans think.

2. lean

lean Member

I'm at work so the video is blocked but just based on your post I would say Esiason is in the wrong. Paternity >>> Baseball, or any career for that matter.

3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Since baseball is 162 games out of the year missing a game really doesn't matter. Now for football where you get paid millions for 16 days per season it's a different situation. Baby Gate!

4. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Francesa is getting ripped also for his comments.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WS7sHCGb_Ts?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

These guys are paid quite handsomely to run around in pajamas. If the club is fine with him doing this then whatever he is probably not that good or vital to the team.

6. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

yea murphy is beta

maternity leave is for women and he's playing a pro sport, if his family isnt going through illness, death, or an immediate danger there is no reason for him to be missing games.

7. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

How much time did he miss? Was it like a month or two?

8. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

A couple of days.

Of course he was on my fantasy team though... my luck. The battle I'm in right now, I could use every point.

9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

The club actually doesn't have a choice. Players are entitled to paternity leave under the MLB's collective bargaining agreement.

10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

This should not be a public debate, it should be an element of contract negotiations. If the player wants a paternity leave clause in his contract, he should negotiate that.

Sadly, once it enters the public policy arena, it forces a universal standard imposed on everyone and it becomes some great ethical question.

Busybodies think everyone is entitled to paternity leave, and so the cost of that leave then gets factored into the compensation offer, even if you have no intention of taking such leave.

1 person likes this.
  11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Public policy has nothing to do with this situation.

Esiason acknowledged that under collective bargaining Murphy is entitled to take paternity leave. The issue isn't whether it was legal or whether the Mets had a say in it but whether a player should take so much paternity leave voluntarily.

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

My company used to give 2 weeks to guys.

Of course, a few months after I took my leave after my boys were born, they changed it to 10 weeks.....

:mad:

13. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

If he only missed a few games..I don't see what the big deal is. Family is more important than a job anyway. Men in Europe take paternity leave all the time.

14. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jimmy Rollins a much more well known player also left the Phillies yesterday for the same thing. He may be out until Monday. Teams can now place a player on paternity leave for up to 3 days and that player can be replaced by anyone in the organization as long as they are also put on the 40 man roster. I kind of agree with the above. Baseball is 162 games there is less emphasis on the importance of one or two games. Football is a little different with only 16 games. I would think in the NFL there would be more opportunity to have t scheduled during the week to minimize time missed.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Absolutely pathetic and a disgrace.

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Excellent point, except the fact that you're saying "really doesn't matter" but, it does. Little, but DOES. :)

17. DreamRoxCoogFan

Boomer took one too many hits to the head. Elective c-sections are needlessly dangerous and potentially harmful to the baby, idiot. Secondly, if it's in his contract to take time off for it, then he's right and all the naysayers are wrong. If management gives him a hard time about it, then he should sue. Employees have rights and employers should respect them.

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Murphy should do whatever he wants to do.

Esiason's comments weren't that bad. The others are terrible (especially Francesa).

The guy asks what you are supposed to be doing. How about supporting your spouse and caring for your child.

19. jdh008

jdh008 Member

To me, it's not even a tough decision.

Family > Team EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Some have made the comment that baseball is different from football in this regard, but I disagree completely. Family should come first, no matter the circumstances, no matter the sport or how many games there are in a season. I get tired of athletes being chastised for doing things like this. Winning a game should never be more important than being there for the birth of your child.

If a players choosing to miss a game for the birth of his child, I seriously doubt he will look back with regret about that missed game. But if he chooses to play rather than be there, I get the feeling they would always have that regret.

20. mario_v

mario_v Member

I could understand if it was football, where every game absolutely matters. But we're talking about baseball. It's 162 game season, one or two games won't matter.