1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Music] Thoughts on Bon Jovi?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by htwnbandit, Mar 29, 2014.

1. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Reason I'm making this thread is because I see A LOT of hate on Bon Jovi pretty much everywhere, and I'm kind of surprised. They're one of the bands that got me into music so maybe I've got a soft spot for them but I really do think they write genuinely good music. One of the knocks I hear about them is too many love songs, but doesn't EVERYBODY make tons of love songs? They've got plenty of songs on other subjects like "Dry County" (recession) and "Undivided" (9/11). I don't know, it might just be one of those things that's cool to hate just cuz they're popular, even though critically they're underrated. I will say that "Livin' on a Prayer" and "You give love a bad name" is way overplayed on the radio. But I swear 90% of the people that say they suck only hear those 2 songs and write them off as just another 80s has-been which is REDICKULOUS seeing how their writing definitely matured over the years and still sell out stadiums.

2. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

what do you guys think of culottes

3. AXG

AXG Member

It's probably because they're a good-looking pop band that got lumped in with the heavier '80s rock scene.

4. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

bon jovi is fine but they really didnt have that many hit songs. and thats the problem.. because I have reached my life limit on the song half way there for example.

Their collection is so small vs. other artists from same era even.. that don't get half the run. I guess my main beef is bon jovi majorly overrated.

its not bon jovis fault but they were never really that good when they were good. Now its painful to hear them run the same songs out ..and just keep stabbing me and their name over and over in the process. Its painful. Other verdict is - way played out.

5. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

6. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

[​IMG]

7. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Bon Jovi musically got really good in the 90s. I don't know what you mean by their collection is so small, they have like 20 albums and only play maybe 4-5 songs on every show out of like 17-20. Their first 4 are the ones that most people associate them with, with the whole glam metal thing. I also disagree that they're a total pop band. Do people not know what rock is? Do people actually try to listen to their later discography?

8. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

what year is this?

haha Bon Jovi is all right, nothing to write home about though imo

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I was never a fan back in the MTV daze. My take was that their label knew that they could sell his looks and so they did.

I gave their 2000 Crush release a listen when it came out. It did not suck. I have listened to all of their subsequent releases and they too do not suck.

I had expected them to suck big. Gone are the song writers and million dollar production they got back in the 80s. They had to write their own songs and play all of the parts while recording. I fully expected a full-on train wreck of epic proportions. And damn if they did not disappoint. Their song writer is really quite good.

Schadenfreude denied.

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Bon Jovi discography has the sales figures for all of their releases, which will likely surprise.

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

Bon Jovi was the shiznit.

Their sense of style in the 80's, not so much.

12. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Richie Sambora is a pretty damn good guitarist.

13. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

He's not in Bon Jovi any longer. His $35,000 a show just wasn't cutting it for him.

14. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Much much much much much much much much lesser. You really shouldn't even compare the two. It's like comparing the sun to a tennis ball.

15. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

When they broke back in the 80s, it was everything I despised because it was glam rock to me. I lumped them with Poison...who I also despised. But, no doubt they were popular with the females. I actually developed a later respect for Bon Jovi as their career continued. I remember when they struggled after they peaked and were playing very small free shows in the late 90s like one I saw part of in downtown Fort Worth outside during my lunch break. That was a tough period for them. But, to their credit, they did bounce back and regained a fan base. As it stands now, I respect what they have done but their still a chick band for the most part IMO. It's just not my cup of tea and never really was. I also went through a period of hating Richie as a person because the way he was being reported on made him out to be a scumbag. Some very unflattering stories on him. I respect the singer as I always felt he was a stand up guy with a good, unique singing voice.

#15 Surfguy, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  16. hooroo

hooroo Member

$2million per month + 20% of profits and they make something 80M/yr. That was pretty shocking to read.

17. Raven

Raven Member

Just as Journey faded in the mid 80s, Bon Jovi took off, same audience, similar formulas.

18. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I haven't had many thoughts on Bon Jovi since I was in 3rd grade in 1986-87.

but those memories are vivid pictures of studying lyrics, cassette inserts, and chasing girls in the yard trying to sing to them.

19. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Bruce Dickinson if Iron Maiden? Tough choice man... Maiden became one of my favorite bands last summer. I know not of any other Bruce, other than I guess Springsteen. Meh.

1 person likes this.
  20. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

SO underrated. This is what I mean by critically underrated. He just doesn't get his due. His solo in Dry County is amazing.