1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update (Updated: 3/2/2011)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Feb 27, 2011.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

BimaThug breaks down the Rockets new reality and flexibility moving forward after their deadline day deals...

3. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

Very interesting once again. I will say this. Chuck Hayes must be kept.

4. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Don't you imagine the Ariza TPE was used in the Thabeet/Carroll trade and we now have the Shane Battier TPE of $7,354,500?

Don't see how we can not re-sign Hayes. He's simply too valuable for the money he will likely receive from outside suitors.

I would not be surprised if we found another team to shovel Thabeet off to this offseason that has capspace to swallow his contract and give us a second rounder or something. That would open up some more cap space and give us an additional approximately $5 million TPE to use also. That is.......if TPEs make it in to the next CBA.

1 person likes this.
  5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I guess we resign chuck to a 4-yr deal and try and work out something low risk and cheap with Yao.

it will be interesting to see if morey can work something out trade wise in the off season. i agree that we ought not dreamcast the possibility of getting nene or perkins. We'll have to rely on Morey's creativity to net us an impact player via trade this offseason. I agree that we should save our cap room for free agency in 2012. We probably shouldn't pick up Thabeets option. Great thing about moving Battier and Brooks (other than we were going to lose them for nothing if we didn't make a trade) is that we really have an opportunity to showcase our young "assets" and hopefully inspire interest from a team willing to do a deal.

6. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Good stuff, as usual.

I will say, I think with the draft being so limited in top talent and depending on the teams that get the top spots that it seems Morey may finally move into the top 3 of the draft rather then trade away the pick(s) for a veteran. Now, if lets say Andrew Bogut becomes available then I can see them moving the picks for that kind of established player.

7. jopatmc

We re-sign Chuck to Thabeet's money, we re-sign Yao to a vet minimum deal loaded with incentives. We trade Thabeet for a future second rounder and we wind up with about $8 million of cap space for next season. Better yet, move Hill or Miller out with Thabeet for a future first rounder and offer Nene a big time deal and if he don't take it, offer the same deal to Kendrick Perkins. We then still have Battier's TPE, one again if they are included in the new CBA, along with draft picks to add to the roster. We send out $3 million each with Miller and Thabeet and we may be able to get some team under the cap to bite on those deals in exchange for nothing.

Is Nene worth the max????????? We could conceivably offer it to him by moving both Miller and Thabeet for nothing.

#7 jopatmc, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Fantastic article.

I think we should totally focus on the 2012 free agent market and position us for that.

9. jopatmc

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrubio!

10. slickricky

slickricky Contributing Member

I respectfully disagree... I don't think free agents want to come here... that being said we should build through the draft or trade... We need to find ourselves a KD who stays with a team because they drafted him and showed him all the love from the start... I think Perry Jones in this years draft can be that guy! I really think we should package Scola with some picks and/or T-Will and Hill to move up to get him. Such a move will also free up more cap space in which we can spend on a Free Agent Center.... banking on summer of 2012 is like banking on this past summer in which we couldn't land anything.

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yeah, I think building through the draft and positioning ourselves for the free agent market 2012 are not mutually exclusive - I agree we should build through the draft also; what I meant by positioning us for 2012 is that we should have cap space then, because the free agent class is a lot more interesting than 2011.

12. worzel gummidge

2011-12, the season of one year contracts

13. albuster

albuster Member

Thanks Bima. Great to have you at CF. Sadly, the Rockets' future has so many ifs.

14. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Our future looks dull, at least for now

Thanks Bima!

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Great update Bima, it would be interesting to find out the amount of the buyout for Jeffries and see what that did, but with the team netting over $8 million from Yao's contract, paying a little bit of Lux tax will not be as painful as it might be in a regular year.

Excellent work.

DD

1 person likes this.
  16. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Great read. I think it's almost a must to retain Chuck. Even if the Rockets find a way to upgrade the center position significantly, you keep Chuck.

Yao without a doubt is worth signing, if you can get him for close to the minimum. I'm not sure that's possible, but what's the real risk if you'd be paying player 15 to not really play anyway.

Not sure I'd make any FA moves for 2011, I think I'd want the Rockets to postion themselves for 2012. We as fans may have to suffer a bit longer(or not) but could be worth it.

If you can upgrade the team in the offseason through sign & trade(if that's still available) While keeping flexibility, then by all means you do it.

17. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. And thanks, Clutch, for helping put this piece together!

No new massive trade exception was generated in the Battier trade. Both Houston and Memphis were over the salary cap; and Memphis did not have any trade exceptions large enough to absorb Shane's salary. If that were the case, DeMarre Carroll would not be a Houston Rocket, and Ish Smith would still be on the team. Carroll was included in the trade solely to match salaries for Battier. Due to league rules, the Rockets would have had to waive someone (i.e., Smith) in order to meet the maximum roster requirements. Hence, Ish was included in the deal to avoid paying salary and tax on him.

Under the current rules and assuming no other trades, that's how I might play it if I were Morey, although they should be able to field a full roster next year with their current guys plus draft picks. But the fact is, we have NO FREAKING CLUE what the new rules will be.

Honestly, the article is just conjecture based on old rules. But it does provide some perspective to those who may be falling into the same inaccurate and delusional "We get $23M in cap room if we let McGrady's contract expire!" mindset.

1 person likes this.
  18. shlhl

shlhl Member

tough decision ahead

Thabeet (owed a whopping $6.47 million in 2012-13), Hill ($3.63 million) and Williams ($3.14 million)
    WOW that is $13.24 miilion for three player not playing too much

19. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Why continue to risk anything with Yao at all? Its best to cut ties with him now if the Rockets really want a new start. Its time for the Rockets to move on without having Yao weighing them down.

20. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Thanks, DD. Welcome back(?).

Sure, the Yao insurance money will help. But I'm guessing the combination of Yao's absence from the team and the Rockets' sub-.500 record (in no small part a product of Yao's absence) have cost Les far more than the $8 million that the insurance is paying out in gross revenues this season.

From what I hear, Jeffries left a decent amount of money on the table, but not enough to drop the Rockets below the tax threshold. To put it in perspective, Jeffries was owed about $1.9M for the remainder of the season. No way was he going to leave over $1.45M of that on the table.

And speaking of the Les and the Rockets paying the luxury tax . . .

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=5458483&postcount=53

leebigez, don't think I forgot about our sig bet.

I'll be honest. After the Andersen salary dump and the (completely out of left field) Ariza-for-Lee trade, I was sweating this trade deadline out a bit. I will admit that even I--one of Morey's biggest advocates--underestimated his ability to shed salary without sacrificing the team's talent level. It came down to the wire, and the Rockets will "only" pay a small amount of tax (plus the fact that they will not be able to participate in sharing a full 1/30th of all luxury tax revenues).

I'll be fielding suggestions for what (tasteful) sig leebigez can add.

(leebigez, don't worry. This was a close call. I won't be holding this over your head . . . for very long. ;) )

1 person likes this.